Andy j.

Default low Sg in red wine kits....aroma

Hi.... I too have noticed low SG in red wine kits.....as alcohol vapor
would carry with it aroma, would it not follow that if you jacked up
the Sg a bit then one might get a tad more nose from a kit wine that
already suffers in this regard?.....last month I added enough sugar to
put a Grand Cru (Hearty Red Zin) up to 12.5-13%....i do notice a lot
of lees though....perhaps a bit more than normal.....i expect i'll
lose 2-3 bottles from the looks of it.....andy j.

Ray Calvert

What was the kit? Was it a good quality kit or a cheapo kit? A good
quality kit should have enough SG to yield 12.5 to 13.5% alcohol in a red
wine kit. Sugar is not going to add to the nose of a wine. That comes from
the fruit. The only thing that will materially effect SG is sugar and
alcohol. My guess is that the reason the SG was low is that there was too
little fruit and too much water in the kit, hence too little nose. Extra
sugar would just give it more of an alcohol kick if it is fermented out or
make it sweeter which would perhaps bring out some fruit flavors if it is
not.

Ray

om...

Wine Aroma Kits Kahuna Wine 4 01-07-2013 07:53 PM
Wine from kits Ronin Winemaking 14 03-11-2006 01:33 AM
Enhancing a wine's aroma or bouquet? Lee Winemaking 10 12-07-2005 04:36 AM
Wine scents kits Leo Bueno Wine 4 10-06-2004 02:22 PM
wine kits.... Andy j. Winemaking 5 16-11-2003 05:35 PM