Craig

Default Cellar Classic Wine Kits

My local supplier only sells Vintners Reserve kits. While I have had good
results with them, I want to try something different. I found a site with
kits from a company called Cellar Classic. Anybody heard of them? They
are kind of pricey, almost twice as much as the Vintners Reserve. I am
looking at making a cabernet, and their kit is $104.99. Or is there
another kit that will produce a decent cabernet?

Thanks,
Craig
Kevin

Craig

My price list from Delta BC lists this wine at $84.99. Where are you buying?
Ray Calvert

I have made a number of Cellar Classic kits. The white have come out very
nice. I particularly like the Gewürztraminer and have made it several
times. But I agree with Kevin, $80-85. I have not made one in about a
year. I hope they have not gone up that much!

Ray

"Kevin" > wrote in message
om...
> Craig
>
> My price list from Delta BC lists this wine at $84.99. Where are you
> buying?

Ray Calvert

I have made a number of Cellar Classic kits. The white have come out very
nice. I particularly like the Gewürztraminer and have made it several
times. But I agree with Kevin, $80-85. I have not made one in about a
year. I hope they have not gone up that much!

Ray

"Kevin" > wrote in message
om...
> Craig
>
> My price list from Delta BC lists this wine at $84.99. Where are you
> buying?

Ray Calvert

I have made a number of Cellar Classic kits. The white have come out very
nice. I particularly like the Gewürztraminer and have made it several
times. But I agree with Kevin, $80-85. I have not made one in about a
year. I hope they have not gone up that much!

Ray

"Kevin" > wrote in message
om...
> Craig
>
> My price list from Delta BC lists this wine at $84.99. Where are you
> buying?

Willie

Both Vintners Reserve and Cellar Classic are made by R.J.Spagnols, see
their website: http://www.rjspagnols.com
Surely your local supplier can have them since it comes from the same
place.

I tried a couple of Cellar Classic and they are great kits.
Personnaly, I prefer their Cru Select kits, which are a bit more
expensive. The more you pay, the more it tastes like the real thing. I
think you won't be dissapointed.

Craig > wrote in message >
My local supplier only sells Vintners Reserve kits. While I have had
good
> results with them, I want to try something different. I found a site with
> kits from a company called Cellar Classic. Anybody heard of them? They
> are kind of pricey, almost twice as much as the Vintners Reserve. I am
> looking at making a cabernet, and their kit is $104.99. Or is there
> another kit that will produce a decent cabernet?
>
> Thanks,
> Craig

Doug

Willie -
I think you're a brick shy of a load. Cellar Classic kits are
produced by RJ Spagnols, as indicated on their website. These are
upscale, 15L ("6-week") kits from RJ Spagnols. The Vintners Reserve
series are the lower-priced ("4-week") kits made by WinExpert, formerly
Brew King.

Craig -
If your supplier carries the Vintners Reserve kits, they already
have some sort of relationship (direct or indirect) with WinExpert. If
you are looking for a better kit, see if they can order one of the
better WinExpert kits (the Selection series, or even better, the
Selection Estate series). Where I live (Minnesota) you can buy most
of the VR kits for $45 to $50 US, while the Selection Original series
tend to run about $70 to $80 US, and the Selection Estate kits are $100
or more (but worth it!). So your Cellar Classic kit price is probably
in line with comparable WinExpert kits.

I have not made it, but I have heard a lot of very positive reports
about the Selection Estate Woodbridge Ranch 11 Cab. Sauv. kit. Also,
FWIW, bear in mind that even the inexpensive kits will improve quite a
bit with time. I opened a 2 1/2 year-old VR Chianti just yesterday,
and was amazed at how much it had improved from when it was 6 or 12
months old. I usually don't age the VR kits that long, but somehow I
overlooked that bottle.

Doug

Craig

"Doug" > wrote in news:1112908783.790033.71150
@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

> Craig -
> If your supplier carries the Vintners Reserve kits, they already
> have some sort of relationship (direct or indirect) with WinExpert. If
> you are looking for a better kit, see if they can order one of the
> better WinExpert kits (the Selection series, or even better, the
> Selection Estate series). Where I live (Minnesota) you can buy most
> of the VR kits for $45 to $50 US, while the Selection Original series
> tend to run about $70 to $80 US, and the Selection Estate kits are $100
> or more (but worth it!). So your Cellar Classic kit price is probably
> in line with comparable WinExpert kits.
>
> I have not made it, but I have heard a lot of very positive reports
> about the Selection Estate Woodbridge Ranch 11 Cab. Sauv. kit. Also,
> FWIW, bear in mind that even the inexpensive kits will improve quite a
> bit with time. I opened a 2 1/2 year-old VR Chianti just yesterday,
> and was amazed at how much it had improved from when it was 6 or 12
> months old. I usually don't age the VR kits that long, but somehow I
> overlooked that bottle.
>
> Doug

Thanks Doug, I have seen some of the Estate kits on an online supplier
(midwestsupplies.com) that I sometimes buy beer ingredients from that I
cannot get at my local supplier. If my local cannot get these, then I'll
research that kit, as cab. sauvs. are my most requested wine from family
and friends.

Craig

Craig

"Doug" > wrote in news:1112908783.790033.71150
@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

> Craig -
> If your supplier carries the Vintners Reserve kits, they already
> have some sort of relationship (direct or indirect) with WinExpert. If
> you are looking for a better kit, see if they can order one of the
> better WinExpert kits (the Selection series, or even better, the
> Selection Estate series). Where I live (Minnesota) you can buy most
> of the VR kits for $45 to $50 US, while the Selection Original series
> tend to run about $70 to $80 US, and the Selection Estate kits are $100
> or more (but worth it!). So your Cellar Classic kit price is probably
> in line with comparable WinExpert kits.
>
> I have not made it, but I have heard a lot of very positive reports
> about the Selection Estate Woodbridge Ranch 11 Cab. Sauv. kit. Also,
> FWIW, bear in mind that even the inexpensive kits will improve quite a
> bit with time. I opened a 2 1/2 year-old VR Chianti just yesterday,
> and was amazed at how much it had improved from when it was 6 or 12
> months old. I usually don't age the VR kits that long, but somehow I
> overlooked that bottle.
>
> Doug

Thanks Doug, I have seen some of the Estate kits on an online supplier
(midwestsupplies.com) that I sometimes buy beer ingredients from that I
cannot get at my local supplier. If my local cannot get these, then I'll
research that kit, as cab. sauvs. are my most requested wine from family
and friends.

Craig

Craig

(Willie) wrote in
om:

> Both Vintners Reserve and Cellar Classic are made by R.J.Spagnols, see
> their website:
http://www.rjspagnols.com
> Surely your local supplier can have them since it comes from the same
> place.
>
> I tried a couple of Cellar Classic and they are great kits.
> Personnaly, I prefer their Cru Select kits, which are a bit more
> expensive. The more you pay, the more it tastes like the real thing. I
> think you won't be dissapointed.

If my local supplier cannot get these kits, do you know of a good online
source in the US? I looked at the Cru Select kits, and they do look rather
interesting.

Craig
Doug

Craig -
I buy most of my kits from Midwest Supplies, since they are nearby.
They
carry pretty much all of the WinExpert kits (or will order them for
you). They are listed as a local retailer on the RJ Spagnols web site,
but I've never seen any RJ Spagnols kits there. Maybe they would order
one for you, though.

I have seen a number of posts from folks who have ordered from Austin
Homebrew Supply (Austin TX) and have been quite satisfied -- they do
carry the RJ Spagnols kits, as well as WinExpert, Cellar Craft and
Advintage. If you are in or around Minneapolis, I believe that Wind
River Brewing (in Eden Prairie) carries at least some of the RJ
Spagnols products.

Doug

Craig

(Willie) wrote in
om:

> Both Vintners Reserve and Cellar Classic are made by R.J.Spagnols, see
> their website:
http://www.rjspagnols.com
> Surely your local supplier can have them since it comes from the same
> place.
>
> I tried a couple of Cellar Classic and they are great kits.
> Personnaly, I prefer their Cru Select kits, which are a bit more
> expensive. The more you pay, the more it tastes like the real thing. I
> think you won't be dissapointed.

If my local supplier cannot get these kits, do you know of a good online
source in the US? I looked at the Cru Select kits, and they do look rather
interesting.

Craig
Kevin

Craig

My price list from Delta BC lists this wine at $84.99. Where are you buying?
Willie