Desertphile, American Patriot

Default Sake?

Has anyone where tried to make sake? If so, how did it turn out?

David

---
http://lastliberal.org
Free random & sequential signature changer http://holysmoke.org/sig

"In art as in life, form and subject, body and soul, are one." -- Edward
Abbey

On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 04:16:06 GMT, desertphile@hot mail. com
(Desertphile, American Patriot) wrote:

>Has anyone where tried to make sake? If so, how did it turn out?
>
>David
>
>---
>http://lastliberal.org
>Free random & sequential signature changer http://holysmoke.org/sig
>
>"In art as in life, form and subject, body and soul, are one." -- Edward
>Abbey

It is acrually brewed, like beer, so you might try rec.crafts.brewing.

Anyway, sake is a lot of work. It requires the extra step of
culturing the rice with a mold and aging it appropriately.

Good luck on your sake quest.

Truitt

On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 04:16:06 GMT, desertphile@hot mail. com
(Desertphile, American Patriot) wrote:

>Has anyone where tried to make sake? If so, how did it turn out?
>
>David
>
>---
>http://lastliberal.org
>Free random & sequential signature changer http://holysmoke.org/sig
>
>"In art as in life, form and subject, body and soul, are one." -- Edward
>Abbey

It is acrually brewed, like beer, so you might try rec.crafts.brewing.

Anyway, sake is a lot of work. It requires the extra step of
culturing the rice with a mold and aging it appropriately.

Good luck on your sake quest.

Truitt
arne thormodsen

I've done it several times. There are directions at:

http://www.exchangenet.net/thormodsen/sake.htm

Also I've used the more complex recipe from Fred Eckhardt's book "Sake
(USA)", which gives somewhat better results but is a quite a bit more
work.

--arne

<desertphile@hot mail. com (Desertphile, American Patriot)> wrote in
message ...
> Has anyone where tried to make sake? If so, how did it turn out?
>
> David
>
> ---
> http://lastliberal.org
> Free random & sequential signature changer http://holysmoke.org/sig
>
> "In art as in life, form and subject, body and soul, are one." --

Edward
> Abbey

Desertphile, American Patriot

On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 23:06:47 GMT, "arne thormodsen"
> wrote:

> I've done it several times. There are directions at:
>
> http://www.exchangenet.net/thormodsen/sake.htm
>
> Also I've used the more complex recipe from Fred Eckhardt's book "Sake
> (USA)", which gives somewhat better results but is a quite a bit more
> work.

Thank you. I'm not sure how much work I wish to put into the job,
since the sake is for someone else to consume. :-) I would much
rather make wine.

> --arne

---
http://lastliberal.org
Free random & sequential signature changer http://holysmoke.org/sig

"The Latino military fare badly when they stumble into war with the
gringos. But in the torture, murder, and massacre of their own people,
they have always performed with brilliance and elan." -- Edward Abbey

Desertphile, American Patriot

On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 23:06:47 GMT, "arne thormodsen"
> wrote:

> I've done it several times. There are directions at:
>
> http://www.exchangenet.net/thormodsen/sake.htm
>
> Also I've used the more complex recipe from Fred Eckhardt's book "Sake
> (USA)", which gives somewhat better results but is a quite a bit more
> work.

Thank you. I'm not sure how much work I wish to put into the job,
since the sake is for someone else to consume. :-) I would much
rather make wine.

> --arne

---
http://lastliberal.org
Free random & sequential signature changer http://holysmoke.org/sig

"The Latino military fare badly when they stumble into war with the
gringos. But in the torture, murder, and massacre of their own people,
they have always performed with brilliance and elan." -- Edward Abbey
Brian

arne thormodsen wrote:

> I've done it several times. There are directions at:
>
> http://www.exchangenet.net/thormodsen/sake.htm
>
> Also I've used the more complex recipe from Fred Eckhardt's book "Sake
> (USA)", which gives somewhat better results but is a quite a bit more
> work.
>
> --arne
>
> <desertphile@hot mail. com (Desertphile, American Patriot)> wrote in
> message ...
>
>>Has anyone where tried to make sake? If so, how did it turn out?
>>
>>David
>>
>>---
>>http://lastliberal.org
>>Free random & sequential signature changer http://holysmoke.org/sig
>>
>>"In art as in life, form and subject, body and soul, are one." --

> Edward
>
>>Abbey

Arne, Could Flaked rice that's used in Beer Brewing be used.?

Brian
arne thormodsen

"Brian" > wrote in message
> Arne, Could Flaked rice that's used in Beer Brewing be used.?

I don't think so. For one thing it's already been gelatinized, if I
remember right. Also it would cook to mush. The koji fungus
"ferments" the rice to sugar and needs it in its grain form to grow
on. But plain old white short-grain rice is pretty easy to come by.

Another warning, if you buy real sake rice (highly polished, not for
eating) then you must steam it as described in Eckhardt's book. It
won't cook right in the normal way.

--arne

> Brian

arne thormodsen

"Brian" > wrote in message
> Arne, Could Flaked rice that's used in Beer Brewing be used.?

I don't think so. For one thing it's already been gelatinized, if I
remember right. Also it would cook to mush. The koji fungus
"ferments" the rice to sugar and needs it in its grain form to grow
on. But plain old white short-grain rice is pretty easy to come by.

Another warning, if you buy real sake rice (highly polished, not for
eating) then you must steam it as described in Eckhardt's book. It
won't cook right in the normal way.

--arne

> Brian

Sake World Sake Newsletter, December, 2006 Gerry Sushi 0 06-12-2006 12:27 AM
Sake Roy Boy Winemaking 13 04-11-2005 05:41 PM
Sake again Pat Kennedy Winemaking 3 23-09-2005 01:30 AM
Sake? Brian Winemaking 2 25-07-2004 09:50 PM