Sarge

Default Peach Wine Woes

This year I had a few bushels of peaches left over so I decided to try
making peach wine.
I guess I wasn't careful enough because after 3 months the wine is still
cloudy and the specific gravity is 1.040. The yeast started o.k and the
temperature was warm enough. I racked it a few times during the course of
fermentation as per recipe. I am not sure if the fermentation stopped
because of lack of nutrients or because it was a slow ferment and the
temperature went down before it finished or maybe I put too much sugar. I
added 16lbs of sugar to the peaches with about 2 gallons of water resulting
in 14 gallons of peach must.
I was really looking forward to this wine. The wine tastes o.k. except it is
incredibly sweet.
Suggestions on how I can salvage the peach wine will be appreciated.
Sarge

Rick Vanderwal

pitch with a higher tolerance yeast such as champagne....?

Rick

"Sarge" > wrote in message
> This year I had a few bushels of peaches left over so I decided to try
> making peach wine.
> I guess I wasn't careful enough because after 3 months the wine is still
> cloudy and the specific gravity is 1.040. The yeast started o.k and the
> temperature was warm enough. I racked it a few times during the course of
> fermentation as per recipe. I am not sure if the fermentation stopped
> because of lack of nutrients or because it was a slow ferment and the
> temperature went down before it finished or maybe I put too much sugar. I
> added 16lbs of sugar to the peaches with about 2 gallons of water
> resulting
> in 14 gallons of peach must.
> I was really looking forward to this wine. The wine tastes o.k. except it
> is
> incredibly sweet.
> Suggestions on how I can salvage the peach wine will be appreciated.
> Sarge

Rick Vanderwal

"Sarge" > wrote in message
> This year I had a few bushels of peaches left over so I decided to try
> making peach wine.
> I guess I wasn't careful enough because after 3 months the wine is still
> cloudy and the specific gravity is 1.040. The yeast started o.k and the
> temperature was warm enough. I racked it a few times during the course of
> fermentation as per recipe. I am not sure if the fermentation stopped
> because of lack of nutrients or because it was a slow ferment and the
> temperature went down before it finished or maybe I put too much sugar. I
> added 16lbs of sugar to the peaches with about 2 gallons of water
> resulting
> in 14 gallons of peach must.
> I was really looking forward to this wine. The wine tastes o.k. except it
> is
> incredibly sweet.
> Suggestions on how I can salvage the peach wine will be appreciated.
> Sarge

Dar V

Sarge,
Could you answer a couple of questions first. Do you know what SG you
started at? Where is the carboy now and the general temperature of the room
it is in? Depending on your responses, and I take it you don't like sweet
wines; I guess you could try adding yeast nutrient and then a yeast starter
to help it finish. BUT I would make sure the carboy is in a warm enough
room to encourage fermentation to start again. Check out Jack Keller's wine
site for instructions on a stuck ferment
http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/index.asp.
As to the cloudiness of your wine, once you get the fermentation
finished; then time and racking should help clear your wine. Hang in there.
Darlene

"Sarge" > wrote in message
> This year I had a few bushels of peaches left over so I decided to try
> making peach wine.
> I guess I wasn't careful enough because after 3 months the wine is still
> cloudy and the specific gravity is 1.040. The yeast started o.k and the
> temperature was warm enough. I racked it a few times during the course of
> fermentation as per recipe. I am not sure if the fermentation stopped
> because of lack of nutrients or because it was a slow ferment and the
> temperature went down before it finished or maybe I put too much sugar. I
> added 16lbs of sugar to the peaches with about 2 gallons of water
> resulting
> in 14 gallons of peach must.
> I was really looking forward to this wine. The wine tastes o.k. except it
> is
> incredibly sweet.
> Suggestions on how I can salvage the peach wine will be appreciated.
> Sarge

Sarge

Hi Darlene
Thanks for the link to Jack's site. I will see if I can get the peach wine
going.
Unfortunately I folowed the recipe blindly and didn't measure the SG before
pitching in the sugar.
As an approximate calculation: 16lbs sugar added to 13 gallons is about 8
Brix added to the must. Do you know what a typical peach must SG is?
I have moved the Wine into a warm area and I will try Jack's technique to
restart in the next few days.
Sarge

"Dar V" > wrote in message
> Sarge,
> Could you answer a couple of questions first. Do you know what SG you
> started at? Where is the carboy now and the general temperature of the

room
> it is in? Depending on your responses, and I take it you don't like sweet
> wines; I guess you could try adding yeast nutrient and then a yeast

starter
> to help it finish. BUT I would make sure the carboy is in a warm enough
> room to encourage fermentation to start again. Check out Jack Keller's

wine
> site for instructions on a stuck ferment
> http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/index.asp.
> As to the cloudiness of your wine, once you get the fermentation
> finished; then time and racking should help clear your wine. Hang in

there.
> Darlene
>
> "Sarge" > wrote in message
> > This year I had a few bushels of peaches left over so I decided to try
> > making peach wine.
> > I guess I wasn't careful enough because after 3 months the wine is still
> > cloudy and the specific gravity is 1.040. The yeast started o.k and

the
> > temperature was warm enough. I racked it a few times during the course

of
> > fermentation as per recipe. I am not sure if the fermentation stopped
> > because of lack of nutrients or because it was a slow ferment and the
> > temperature went down before it finished or maybe I put too much sugar.

> > added 16lbs of sugar to the peaches with about 2 gallons of water
> > resulting
> > in 14 gallons of peach must.
> > I was really looking forward to this wine. The wine tastes o.k. except

it
> > is
> > incredibly sweet.
> > Suggestions on how I can salvage the peach wine will be appreciated.
> > Sarge

Sarge

"Dar V" > wrote in message
> Sarge,
> Could you answer a couple of questions first. Do you know what SG you
> started at? Where is the carboy now and the general temperature of the

room
> it is in? Depending on your responses, and I take it you don't like sweet
> wines; I guess you could try adding yeast nutrient and then a yeast

starter
> to help it finish. BUT I would make sure the carboy is in a warm enough
> room to encourage fermentation to start again. Check out Jack Keller's

wine
> site for instructions on a stuck ferment
> http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/index.asp.
> As to the cloudiness of your wine, once you get the fermentation
> finished; then time and racking should help clear your wine. Hang in

there.
> Darlene
>
> "Sarge" > wrote in message
> > This year I had a few bushels of peaches left over so I decided to try
> > making peach wine.
> > I guess I wasn't careful enough because after 3 months the wine is still
> > cloudy and the specific gravity is 1.040. The yeast started o.k and

the
> > temperature was warm enough. I racked it a few times during the course

of
> > fermentation as per recipe. I am not sure if the fermentation stopped
> > because of lack of nutrients or because it was a slow ferment and the
> > temperature went down before it finished or maybe I put too much sugar.

> > added 16lbs of sugar to the peaches with about 2 gallons of water
> > resulting
> > in 14 gallons of peach must.
> > I was really looking forward to this wine. The wine tastes o.k. except

it
> > is
> > incredibly sweet.
> > Suggestions on how I can salvage the peach wine will be appreciated.
> > Sarge

Sarge

"Dar V" > wrote in message
> Sarge,
> Could you answer a couple of questions first. Do you know what SG you
> started at? Where is the carboy now and the general temperature of the

room
> it is in? Depending on your responses, and I take it you don't like sweet
> wines; I guess you could try adding yeast nutrient and then a yeast

starter
> to help it finish. BUT I would make sure the carboy is in a warm enough
> room to encourage fermentation to start again. Check out Jack Keller's

wine
> site for instructions on a stuck ferment
> http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/index.asp.
> As to the cloudiness of your wine, once you get the fermentation
> finished; then time and racking should help clear your wine. Hang in

there.
> Darlene
>
> "Sarge" > wrote in message
> > This year I had a few bushels of peaches left over so I decided to try
> > making peach wine.
> > I guess I wasn't careful enough because after 3 months the wine is still
> > cloudy and the specific gravity is 1.040. The yeast started o.k and

the
> > temperature was warm enough. I racked it a few times during the course

of
> > fermentation as per recipe. I am not sure if the fermentation stopped
> > because of lack of nutrients or because it was a slow ferment and the
> > temperature went down before it finished or maybe I put too much sugar.

> > added 16lbs of sugar to the peaches with about 2 gallons of water
> > resulting
> > in 14 gallons of peach must.
> > I was really looking forward to this wine. The wine tastes o.k. except

it
> > is
> > incredibly sweet.
> > Suggestions on how I can salvage the peach wine will be appreciated.
> > Sarge

Dar V

Sarge,
Good-luck, and let us know how it is doing. I'm always hesitant to
guess at a starting SG based on just the sugar added, because it doesn't
take into consideration the sugar which is in the fruit. I usually try to
shoot for a starting SG of 1.084-1.090 for fruit wines, so that when the
must ferments to dry you're looking at about a 11-12% alcohol by volume.
I usually do 1 gallon batches, so please excuse me while I think in
those terms. Looks like you added roughly 2 lbs+ of sugar per gallon which
equals about 4 cups+ per gallon. I just looked at Jack's recipes for Peach
wine, and they call for 2 1/2-3 lbs per gallon, so I don't think you're out
of line with the sugar you added (still we don't know how sweet the peaches
were). If it were me, I would try to restart the fermentation and ferment
to dry, because at this point my guess is that you don't have a high enough
% alcohol to help the wine age and keep for a while.
Darlene

"Sarge" > wrote in message
> Hi Darlene
> Thanks for the link to Jack's site. I will see if I can get the peach
> wine
> going.
> Unfortunately I folowed the recipe blindly and didn't measure the SG
> before
> pitching in the sugar.
> As an approximate calculation: 16lbs sugar added to 13 gallons is about 8
> Brix added to the must. Do you know what a typical peach must SG is?
> I have moved the Wine into a warm area and I will try Jack's technique to
> restart in the next few days.
> Sarge
>
> "Dar V" > wrote in message
>> Sarge,
>> Could you answer a couple of questions first. Do you know what SG
>> you
>> started at? Where is the carboy now and the general temperature of the

> room
>> it is in? Depending on your responses, and I take it you don't like
>> sweet
>> wines; I guess you could try adding yeast nutrient and then a yeast

> starter
>> to help it finish. BUT I would make sure the carboy is in a warm enough
>> room to encourage fermentation to start again. Check out Jack Keller's

> wine
>> site for instructions on a stuck ferment
>> http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/index.asp.
>> As to the cloudiness of your wine, once you get the fermentation
>> finished; then time and racking should help clear your wine. Hang in

> there.
>> Darlene
>>
>> "Sarge" > wrote in message
>> > This year I had a few bushels of peaches left over so I decided to try
>> > making peach wine.
>> > I guess I wasn't careful enough because after 3 months the wine is
>> > still
>> > cloudy and the specific gravity is 1.040. The yeast started o.k and

> the
>> > temperature was warm enough. I racked it a few times during the course

> of
>> > fermentation as per recipe. I am not sure if the fermentation stopped
>> > because of lack of nutrients or because it was a slow ferment and the
>> > temperature went down before it finished or maybe I put too much sugar.

>> > added 16lbs of sugar to the peaches with about 2 gallons of water
>> > resulting
>> > in 14 gallons of peach must.
>> > I was really looking forward to this wine. The wine tastes o.k. except

> it
>> > is
>> > incredibly sweet.
>> > Suggestions on how I can salvage the peach wine will be appreciated.
>> > Sarge

Dar V

"Sarge" > wrote in message
> Hi Darlene
> Thanks for the link to Jack's site. I will see if I can get the peach
> wine
> going.
> Unfortunately I folowed the recipe blindly and didn't measure the SG
> before
> pitching in the sugar.
> As an approximate calculation: 16lbs sugar added to 13 gallons is about 8
> Brix added to the must. Do you know what a typical peach must SG is?
> I have moved the Wine into a warm area and I will try Jack's technique to
> restart in the next few days.
> Sarge
>
> "Dar V" > wrote in message
>> Sarge,
>> Could you answer a couple of questions first. Do you know what SG
>> you
>> started at? Where is the carboy now and the general temperature of the

> room
>> it is in? Depending on your responses, and I take it you don't like
>> sweet
>> wines; I guess you could try adding yeast nutrient and then a yeast

> starter
>> to help it finish. BUT I would make sure the carboy is in a warm enough
>> room to encourage fermentation to start again. Check out Jack Keller's

> wine
>> site for instructions on a stuck ferment
>> http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/index.asp.
>> As to the cloudiness of your wine, once you get the fermentation
>> finished; then time and racking should help clear your wine. Hang in

> there.
>> Darlene
>>
>> "Sarge" > wrote in message
>> > This year I had a few bushels of peaches left over so I decided to try
>> > making peach wine.
>> > I guess I wasn't careful enough because after 3 months the wine is
>> > still
>> > cloudy and the specific gravity is 1.040. The yeast started o.k and

> the
>> > temperature was warm enough. I racked it a few times during the course

> of
>> > fermentation as per recipe. I am not sure if the fermentation stopped
>> > because of lack of nutrients or because it was a slow ferment and the
>> > temperature went down before it finished or maybe I put too much sugar.

>> > added 16lbs of sugar to the peaches with about 2 gallons of water
>> > resulting
>> > in 14 gallons of peach must.
>> > I was really looking forward to this wine. The wine tastes o.k. except

> it
>> > is
>> > incredibly sweet.
>> > Suggestions on how I can salvage the peach wine will be appreciated.
>> > Sarge

Ray Calvert

Sarge, According to the FDA figures, ripe fresh peaches have a Brix of 6
to 12 or an SG of 1.022 to 1.047. If anything I would expect that you
started with an SG on the low side. Were the peaches included in the 13
gallons or were they added to it. If they were included, then you probably
started with Brix between 14 and 20. It is curious why it would have stuck.
I would follow Dar's suggestion and go to Jack's site and try to restart it.
Did you add any nutrient?

Ray

"Sarge" > wrote in message
> Hi Darlene
> Thanks for the link to Jack's site. I will see if I can get the peach
> wine
> going.
> Unfortunately I folowed the recipe blindly and didn't measure the SG
> before
> pitching in the sugar.
> As an approximate calculation: 16lbs sugar added to 13 gallons is about 8
> Brix added to the must. Do you know what a typical peach must SG is?
> I have moved the Wine into a warm area and I will try Jack's technique to
> restart in the next few days.
> Sarge
>
> "Dar V" > wrote in message
>> Sarge,
>> Could you answer a couple of questions first. Do you know what SG
>> you
>> started at? Where is the carboy now and the general temperature of the

> room
>> it is in? Depending on your responses, and I take it you don't like
>> sweet
>> wines; I guess you could try adding yeast nutrient and then a yeast

> starter
>> to help it finish. BUT I would make sure the carboy is in a warm enough
>> room to encourage fermentation to start again. Check out Jack Keller's

> wine
>> site for instructions on a stuck ferment
>> http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/index.asp.
>> As to the cloudiness of your wine, once you get the fermentation
>> finished; then time and racking should help clear your wine. Hang in

> there.
>> Darlene
>>
>> "Sarge" > wrote in message
>> > This year I had a few bushels of peaches left over so I decided to try
>> > making peach wine.
>> > I guess I wasn't careful enough because after 3 months the wine is
>> > still
>> > cloudy and the specific gravity is 1.040. The yeast started o.k and

> the
>> > temperature was warm enough. I racked it a few times during the course

> of
>> > fermentation as per recipe. I am not sure if the fermentation stopped
>> > because of lack of nutrients or because it was a slow ferment and the
>> > temperature went down before it finished or maybe I put too much sugar.

>> > added 16lbs of sugar to the peaches with about 2 gallons of water
>> > resulting
>> > in 14 gallons of peach must.
>> > I was really looking forward to this wine. The wine tastes o.k. except

> it
>> > is
>> > incredibly sweet.
>> > Suggestions on how I can salvage the peach wine will be appreciated.
>> > Sarge

Ray Calvert

"Sarge" > wrote in message
> Hi Darlene
> Thanks for the link to Jack's site. I will see if I can get the peach
> wine
> going.
> Unfortunately I folowed the recipe blindly and didn't measure the SG
> before
> pitching in the sugar.
> As an approximate calculation: 16lbs sugar added to 13 gallons is about 8
> Brix added to the must. Do you know what a typical peach must SG is?
> I have moved the Wine into a warm area and I will try Jack's technique to
> restart in the next few days.
> Sarge
>
> "Dar V" > wrote in message
>> Sarge,
>> Could you answer a couple of questions first. Do you know what SG
>> you
>> started at? Where is the carboy now and the general temperature of the

> room
>> it is in? Depending on your responses, and I take it you don't like
>> sweet
>> wines; I guess you could try adding yeast nutrient and then a yeast

> starter
>> to help it finish. BUT I would make sure the carboy is in a warm enough
>> room to encourage fermentation to start again. Check out Jack Keller's

> wine
>> site for instructions on a stuck ferment
>> http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/index.asp.
>> As to the cloudiness of your wine, once you get the fermentation
>> finished; then time and racking should help clear your wine. Hang in

> there.
>> Darlene
>>
>> "Sarge" > wrote in message
>> > This year I had a few bushels of peaches left over so I decided to try
>> > making peach wine.
>> > I guess I wasn't careful enough because after 3 months the wine is
>> > still
>> > cloudy and the specific gravity is 1.040. The yeast started o.k and

> the
>> > temperature was warm enough. I racked it a few times during the course

> of
>> > fermentation as per recipe. I am not sure if the fermentation stopped
>> > because of lack of nutrients or because it was a slow ferment and the
>> > temperature went down before it finished or maybe I put too much sugar.

>> > added 16lbs of sugar to the peaches with about 2 gallons of water
>> > resulting
>> > in 14 gallons of peach must.
>> > I was really looking forward to this wine. The wine tastes o.k. except

> it
>> > is
>> > incredibly sweet.
>> > Suggestions on how I can salvage the peach wine will be appreciated.
>> > Sarge

Ray Calvert

"Sarge" > wrote in message
> Hi Darlene
> Thanks for the link to Jack's site. I will see if I can get the peach
> wine
> going.
> Unfortunately I folowed the recipe blindly and didn't measure the SG
> before
> pitching in the sugar.
> As an approximate calculation: 16lbs sugar added to 13 gallons is about 8
> Brix added to the must. Do you know what a typical peach must SG is?
> I have moved the Wine into a warm area and I will try Jack's technique to
> restart in the next few days.
> Sarge
>
> "Dar V" > wrote in message
>> Sarge,
>> Could you answer a couple of questions first. Do you know what SG
>> you
>> started at? Where is the carboy now and the general temperature of the

> room
>> it is in? Depending on your responses, and I take it you don't like
>> sweet
>> wines; I guess you could try adding yeast nutrient and then a yeast

> starter
>> to help it finish. BUT I would make sure the carboy is in a warm enough
>> room to encourage fermentation to start again. Check out Jack Keller's

> wine
>> site for instructions on a stuck ferment
>> http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/index.asp.
>> As to the cloudiness of your wine, once you get the fermentation
>> finished; then time and racking should help clear your wine. Hang in

> there.
>> Darlene
>>
>> "Sarge" > wrote in message
>> > This year I had a few bushels of peaches left over so I decided to try
>> > making peach wine.
>> > I guess I wasn't careful enough because after 3 months the wine is
>> > still
>> > cloudy and the specific gravity is 1.040. The yeast started o.k and

> the
>> > temperature was warm enough. I racked it a few times during the course

> of
>> > fermentation as per recipe. I am not sure if the fermentation stopped
>> > because of lack of nutrients or because it was a slow ferment and the
>> > temperature went down before it finished or maybe I put too much sugar.

>> > added 16lbs of sugar to the peaches with about 2 gallons of water
>> > resulting
>> > in 14 gallons of peach must.
>> > I was really looking forward to this wine. The wine tastes o.k. except

> it
>> > is
>> > incredibly sweet.
>> > Suggestions on how I can salvage the peach wine will be appreciated.
>> > Sarge

Sarge

Darlene,
I have some d-47 yeast going now in a 1/2 gallon of white grape juice. Once
it gets going I will add it in to the peach wine which is now at 65F. The
peach wine tastes very sweet and very peachy. I am wondering if I should
add some more sterilized water to lighten the taste a bit? To the 14
gallons of peach must only 2 gallons of water were added.
Sarge

"Dar V" > wrote in message
> [...]

> >> Could you answer a couple of questions first. Do you know what SG
> >> you
> >> started at? Where is the carboy now and the general temperature of the

> > room
> >> it is in? Depending on your responses, and I take it you don't like
> >> sweet
> >> wines; I guess you could try adding yeast nutrient and then a yeast

> > starter
> >> to help it finish. BUT I would make sure the carboy is in a warm

enough
> >> room to encourage fermentation to start again. Check out Jack Keller's

> > wine
> >> site for instructions on a stuck ferment
> >> http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/index.asp.
> >> As to the cloudiness of your wine, once you get the fermentation
> >> finished; then time and racking should help clear your wine. Hang in

Sarge

"Dar V" > wrote in message
> [...]

> >> Could you answer a couple of questions first. Do you know what SG
> >> you
> >> started at? Where is the carboy now and the general temperature of the

> > room
> >> it is in? Depending on your responses, and I take it you don't like
> >> sweet
> >> wines; I guess you could try adding yeast nutrient and then a yeast

> > starter
> >> to help it finish. BUT I would make sure the carboy is in a warm

enough
> >> room to encourage fermentation to start again. Check out Jack Keller's

> > wine
> >> site for instructions on a stuck ferment
> >> http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/index.asp.
> >> As to the cloudiness of your wine, once you get the fermentation
> >> finished; then time and racking should help clear your wine. Hang in

Sarge

"Dar V" > wrote in message
> [...]

> >> Could you answer a couple of questions first. Do you know what SG
> >> you
> >> started at? Where is the carboy now and the general temperature of the

> > room
> >> it is in? Depending on your responses, and I take it you don't like
> >> sweet
> >> wines; I guess you could try adding yeast nutrient and then a yeast

> > starter
> >> to help it finish. BUT I would make sure the carboy is in a warm

enough
> >> room to encourage fermentation to start again. Check out Jack Keller's

> > wine
> >> site for instructions on a stuck ferment
> >> http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/index.asp.
> >> As to the cloudiness of your wine, once you get the fermentation
> >> finished; then time and racking should help clear your wine. Hang in

Sarge

Thanks for the information Ray. I was afraid I might have pushed the SG too
far. But not so. The 14 gallons (I forgot about the extra gallon) of peach
must contained 2 gallons of h20. Likely it was the lack of nutrients that
stopped the fermentation.
I don't like to add chemicals to my wine if I can avoid it. My wife is
sensitive and won't drink any of my wine if I do. Usually I make wine from
fresh grapes and I seem to have gotten away without adding any nutrients.
What would be an alternative to nutrient additives? I know you can add
lemon for citric acid. What could take the place of DAP?
Sarge

"Ray Calvert" > wrote in message
. com...
> Sarge, According to the FDA figures, ripe fresh peaches have a Brix of 6
> to 12 or an SG of 1.022 to 1.047. If anything I would expect that you
> started with an SG on the low side. Were the peaches included in the 13
> gallons or were they added to it. If they were included, then you

probably
> started with Brix between 14 and 20. It is curious why it would have

stuck.
> I would follow Dar's suggestion and go to Jack's site and try to restart

it.
> Did you add any nutrient?
>
> Ray
>
> "Sarge" > wrote in message
> > Hi Darlene
> > Thanks for the link to Jack's site. I will see if I can get the peach
> > wine
> > going.
> > Unfortunately I folowed the recipe blindly and didn't measure the SG
> > before
> > pitching in the sugar.
> > As an approximate calculation: 16lbs sugar added to 13 gallons is about

8
> > Brix added to the must. Do you know what a typical peach must SG is?
> > I have moved the Wine into a warm area and I will try Jack's technique

> > restart in the next few days.
> > Sarge
> >
> > "Dar V" > wrote in message
> >> Sarge,
> >> Could you answer a couple of questions first. Do you know what SG
> >> you
> >> started at? Where is the carboy now and the general temperature of the

> > room
> >> it is in? Depending on your responses, and I take it you don't like
> >> sweet
> >> wines; I guess you could try adding yeast nutrient and then a yeast

> > starter
> >> to help it finish. BUT I would make sure the carboy is in a warm

enough
> >> room to encourage fermentation to start again. Check out Jack Keller's

> > wine
> >> site for instructions on a stuck ferment
> >> http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/index.asp.
> >> As to the cloudiness of your wine, once you get the fermentation
> >> finished; then time and racking should help clear your wine. Hang in

> > there.
> >> Darlene

try

> > the

course
> > of

stopped

sugar.

except
> > it

Sarge

> [...]

> >> Could you answer a couple of questions first. Do you know what SG
> >> you
> >> started at? Where is the carboy now and the general temperature of the

> > room
> >> it is in? Depending on your responses, and I take it you don't like
> >> sweet
> >> wines; I guess you could try adding yeast nutrient and then a yeast

> > starter
> >> to help it finish. BUT I would make sure the carboy is in a warm

enough
> >> room to encourage fermentation to start again. Check out Jack Keller's

> > wine
> >> site for instructions on a stuck ferment
> >> http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/index.asp.
> >> As to the cloudiness of your wine, once you get the fermentation
> >> finished; then time and racking should help clear your wine. Hang in

Dar V

Sarge,
Don't forget to add some yeast nutrient....the yeast sounds fine, the temp
sounds a little on the low side. Do you have a heating pad or a slightly
warmer spot for it so you can get it closer to 70F. I don't know that I
would add anything until you finish fermenting to dry. After all, it will
taste differently when its dry, and you will need to decide how to top-up
after you rack it off the lees.
Darlene

"Sarge" > wrote in message
> Darlene,
> I have some d-47 yeast going now in a 1/2 gallon of white grape juice.
> Once
> it gets going I will add it in to the peach wine which is now at 65F. The
> peach wine tastes very sweet and very peachy. I am wondering if I should
> add some more sterilized water to lighten the taste a bit? To the 14
> gallons of peach must only 2 gallons of water were added.
> Sarge
>
> "Dar V" > wrote in message
>> Sarge,
>> Good-luck, and let us know how it is doing. I'm always hesitant to
>> guess at a starting SG based on just the sugar added, because it doesn't
>> take into consideration the sugar which is in the fruit. I usually try
>> shoot for a starting SG of 1.084-1.090 for fruit wines, so that when the
>> must ferments to dry you're looking at about a 11-12% alcohol by volume.
>> I usually do 1 gallon batches, so please excuse me while I think in
>> those terms. Looks like you added roughly 2 lbs+ of sugar per gallon

> which
>> equals about 4 cups+ per gallon. I just looked at Jack's recipes for

> Peach
>> wine, and they call for 2 1/2-3 lbs per gallon, so I don't think you're

> out
>> of line with the sugar you added (still we don't know how sweet the

> peaches
>> were). If it were me, I would try to restart the fermentation and
>> ferment
>> to dry, because at this point my guess is that you don't have a high

> enough
>> % alcohol to help the wine age and keep for a while.
>> Darlene
>>
>> "Sarge" > wrote in message
>> > Hi Darlene
>> > Thanks for the link to Jack's site. I will see if I can get the peach
>> > wine
>> > going.
>> > Unfortunately I folowed the recipe blindly and didn't measure the SG
>> > before
>> > pitching in the sugar.
>> > As an approximate calculation: 16lbs sugar added to 13 gallons is
>> > about

> 8
>> > Brix added to the must. Do you know what a typical peach must SG is?
>> > I have moved the Wine into a warm area and I will try Jack's technique

>> > restart in the next few days.
>> > Sarge

>> > room
>> > starter

> enough
>> > wine
>> > there.

> try
>> > the

> course
>> > of

> stopped

> sugar.

> except
>> > it

Dar V

"Sarge" > wrote in message
> Darlene,
> I have some d-47 yeast going now in a 1/2 gallon of white grape juice.
> Once
> it gets going I will add it in to the peach wine which is now at 65F. The
> peach wine tastes very sweet and very peachy. I am wondering if I should
> add some more sterilized water to lighten the taste a bit? To the 14
> gallons of peach must only 2 gallons of water were added.
> Sarge
>
> "Dar V" > wrote in message
>> Sarge,
>> Good-luck, and let us know how it is doing. I'm always hesitant to
>> guess at a starting SG based on just the sugar added, because it doesn't
>> take into consideration the sugar which is in the fruit. I usually try
>> shoot for a starting SG of 1.084-1.090 for fruit wines, so that when the
>> must ferments to dry you're looking at about a 11-12% alcohol by volume.
>> I usually do 1 gallon batches, so please excuse me while I think in
>> those terms. Looks like you added roughly 2 lbs+ of sugar per gallon

> which
>> equals about 4 cups+ per gallon. I just looked at Jack's recipes for

> Peach
>> wine, and they call for 2 1/2-3 lbs per gallon, so I don't think you're

> out
>> of line with the sugar you added (still we don't know how sweet the

> peaches
>> were). If it were me, I would try to restart the fermentation and
>> ferment
>> to dry, because at this point my guess is that you don't have a high

> enough
>> % alcohol to help the wine age and keep for a while.
>> Darlene
>>
>> "Sarge" > wrote in message
>> > Hi Darlene
>> > Thanks for the link to Jack's site. I will see if I can get the peach
>> > wine
>> > going.
>> > Unfortunately I folowed the recipe blindly and didn't measure the SG
>> > before
>> > pitching in the sugar.
>> > As an approximate calculation: 16lbs sugar added to 13 gallons is
>> > about

> 8
>> > Brix added to the must. Do you know what a typical peach must SG is?
>> > I have moved the Wine into a warm area and I will try Jack's technique

>> > restart in the next few days.
>> > Sarge

>> > room
>> > starter

> enough
>> > wine
>> > there.

> try
>> > the

> course
>> > of

> stopped

> sugar.

> except
>> > it

Ray Calvert

Calling nutrients is stretching the definition of chemicals. Most people
eat all sorts of food that is fortified by vitamins and minerals. Our
cereals are absolutely coated with them. Nutrient is just vitamins and
minerals for yeast. They need it and they will not hurt you any more than
vitamin B will hurt you. campden and a few other additives might be suspect
by some but nutrients should not be.

Ray

"Sarge" > wrote in message
> Thanks for the information Ray. I was afraid I might have pushed the SG
> too
> far. But not so. The 14 gallons (I forgot about the extra gallon) of
> peach
> must contained 2 gallons of h20. Likely it was the lack of nutrients
> that
> stopped the fermentation.
> I don't like to add chemicals to my wine if I can avoid it. My wife is
> sensitive and won't drink any of my wine if I do. Usually I make wine
> from
> fresh grapes and I seem to have gotten away without adding any nutrients.
> What would be an alternative to nutrient additives? I know you can add
> lemon for citric acid. What could take the place of DAP?
> Sarge
>
> "Ray Calvert" > wrote in message
> . com...
>> Sarge, According to the FDA figures, ripe fresh peaches have a Brix of
>> 6
>> to 12 or an SG of 1.022 to 1.047. If anything I would expect that you
>> started with an SG on the low side. Were the peaches included in the 13
>> gallons or were they added to it. If they were included, then you

> probably
>> started with Brix between 14 and 20. It is curious why it would have

> stuck.
>> I would follow Dar's suggestion and go to Jack's site and try to restart

> it.
>> Did you add any nutrient?
>>
>> Ray
>>
>> "Sarge" > wrote in message
>> > Hi Darlene
>> > Thanks for the link to Jack's site. I will see if I can get the peach
>> > wine
>> > going.
>> > Unfortunately I folowed the recipe blindly and didn't measure the SG
>> > before
>> > pitching in the sugar.
>> > As an approximate calculation: 16lbs sugar added to 13 gallons is
>> > about

> 8
>> > Brix added to the must. Do you know what a typical peach must SG is?
>> > I have moved the Wine into a warm area and I will try Jack's technique

>> > restart in the next few days.
>> > Sarge

>> > room
>> > starter

> enough
>> > wine
>> > there.

> try
>> > the

> course
>> > of

> stopped

> sugar.

> except
>> > it

Ray Calvert

"Sarge" > wrote in message
> Thanks for the information Ray. I was afraid I might have pushed the SG
> too
> far. But not so. The 14 gallons (I forgot about the extra gallon) of
> peach
> must contained 2 gallons of h20. Likely it was the lack of nutrients
> that
> stopped the fermentation.
> I don't like to add chemicals to my wine if I can avoid it. My wife is
> sensitive and won't drink any of my wine if I do. Usually I make wine
> from
> fresh grapes and I seem to have gotten away without adding any nutrients.
> What would be an alternative to nutrient additives? I know you can add
> lemon for citric acid. What could take the place of DAP?
> Sarge
>
> "Ray Calvert" > wrote in message
> . com...
>> Sarge, According to the FDA figures, ripe fresh peaches have a Brix of
>> 6
>> to 12 or an SG of 1.022 to 1.047. If anything I would expect that you
>> started with an SG on the low side. Were the peaches included in the 13
>> gallons or were they added to it. If they were included, then you

> probably
>> started with Brix between 14 and 20. It is curious why it would have

> stuck.
>> I would follow Dar's suggestion and go to Jack's site and try to restart

> it.
>> Did you add any nutrient?
>>
>> Ray
>>
>> "Sarge" > wrote in message
>> > Hi Darlene
>> > Thanks for the link to Jack's site. I will see if I can get the peach
>> > wine
>> > going.
>> > Unfortunately I folowed the recipe blindly and didn't measure the SG
>> > before
>> > pitching in the sugar.
>> > As an approximate calculation: 16lbs sugar added to 13 gallons is
>> > about

> 8
>> > Brix added to the must. Do you know what a typical peach must SG is?
>> > I have moved the Wine into a warm area and I will try Jack's technique

>> > restart in the next few days.
>> > Sarge

>> > room
>> > starter

> enough
>> > wine
>> > there.

> try
>> > the

> course
>> > of

> stopped

> sugar.

> except
>> > it

Sarge

Darlene,
Are you referring to DAP yeast nutrient or some other? I can pick up some
yeast nutrient tomorrow.
I racked to 2 25L DJs and I added the started yeast to 2 gallons of the
peach wine. I know have 3 partial gallons trying to start. I will add them
to the 25L Djs once they become active. So far I have a little foam on the
surface but nor air lock motion.
Thanks
Sarge
"Dar V" > wrote in message
> Sarge,
> Don't forget to add some yeast nutrient....the yeast sounds fine, the temp
> sounds a little on the low side. Do you have a heating pad or a slightly
> warmer spot for it so you can get it closer to 70F. I don't know that I
> would add anything until you finish fermenting to dry. After all, it will
> taste differently when its dry, and you will need to decide how to top-up
> after you rack it off the lees.
> Darlene
>
> "Sarge" > wrote in message
> > Darlene,
> > I have some d-47 yeast going now in a 1/2 gallon of white grape juice.
> > Once
> > it gets going I will add it in to the peach wine which is now at 65F.

The
> > peach wine tastes very sweet and very peachy. I am wondering if I

should
> > add some more sterilized water to lighten the taste a bit? To the 14
> > gallons of peach must only 2 gallons of water were added.
> > Sarge
> >
> > "Dar V" > wrote in message
> >> Sarge,
> >> Good-luck, and let us know how it is doing. I'm always hesitant to
> >> guess at a starting SG based on just the sugar added, because it

doesn't
> >> take into consideration the sugar which is in the fruit. I usually try
> >> shoot for a starting SG of 1.084-1.090 for fruit wines, so that when

the
> >> must ferments to dry you're looking at about a 11-12% alcohol by

volume.
> >> I usually do 1 gallon batches, so please excuse me while I think in

> >> those terms. Looks like you added roughly 2 lbs+ of sugar per gallon

> > which
> >> equals about 4 cups+ per gallon. I just looked at Jack's recipes for

> > Peach
> >> wine, and they call for 2 1/2-3 lbs per gallon, so I don't think you're

> > out
> >> of line with the sugar you added (still we don't know how sweet the

> > peaches
> >> were). If it were me, I would try to restart the fermentation and
> >> ferment
> >> to dry, because at this point my guess is that you don't have a high

> > enough
> >> % alcohol to help the wine age and keep for a while.
> >> Darlene

peach

> > 8

technique

SG

> > enough

fermentation

in

> > try

> > course

> > stopped

> > sugar.

> > except

appreciated.

Droopy

"Ray Calvert" > wrote in message .com>...
> Calling nutrients is stretching the definition of chemicals. Most people
> eat all sorts of food that is fortified by vitamins and minerals. Our
> cereals are absolutely coated with them. Nutrient is just vitamins and
> minerals for yeast. They need it and they will not hurt you any more than
> vitamin B will hurt you. campden and a few other additives might be suspect
> by some but nutrients should not be.
>
> Ray

While I agree with most of this there in one point you should be aware
of. Urea, often a component of yeast nutrient does produce a bit of
cyanide in solution.

This should not normally be a problem at all becasue as long as you do
not go everboard with it or addit late the yeast will absorb all of
the urea and cyanide.
Droopy

"Ray Calvert" > wrote in message .com>...
> Calling nutrients is stretching the definition of chemicals. Most people
> eat all sorts of food that is fortified by vitamins and minerals. Our
> cereals are absolutely coated with them. Nutrient is just vitamins and
> minerals for yeast. They need it and they will not hurt you any more than
> vitamin B will hurt you. campden and a few other additives might be suspect
> by some but nutrients should not be.
>
> Ray

While I agree with most of this there in one point you should be aware
of. Urea, often a component of yeast nutrient does produce a bit of
cyanide in solution.

This should not normally be a problem at all becasue as long as you do
not go everboard with it or addit late the yeast will absorb all of
the urea and cyanide.
Sarge

This could be an interesting discussion. I am sure everyone has their own
ideas on this subject. Obviously most winemakers add nutrients, fining
agents ... and everyone seems happy enough drinking their wine.
This is my first fruit wine and I found out first hand what happens if the
yeast don't get all the nutrients they need. I am going to add some yeast
nutrient today and hopefully it isn't too late to complete the
fermementation.
Sarge
..
"Ray Calvert" > wrote in message
. com...
> Calling nutrients is stretching the definition of chemicals. Most people
> eat all sorts of food that is fortified by vitamins and minerals. Our
> cereals are absolutely coated with them. Nutrient is just vitamins and
> minerals for yeast. They need it and they will not hurt you any more than
> vitamin B will hurt you. campden and a few other additives might be

suspect
> by some but nutrients should not be.
>
> Ray
>
> "Sarge" > wrote in message
> > Thanks for the information Ray. I was afraid I might have pushed the SG
> > too
> > far. But not so. The 14 gallons (I forgot about the extra gallon) of
> > peach
> > must contained 2 gallons of h20. Likely it was the lack of nutrients
> > that
> > stopped the fermentation.
> > I don't like to add chemicals to my wine if I can avoid it. My wife is
> > sensitive and won't drink any of my wine if I do. Usually I make wine
> > from
> > fresh grapes and I seem to have gotten away without adding any

nutrients.
> > What would be an alternative to nutrient additives? I know you can add
> > lemon for citric acid. What could take the place of DAP?
> > Sarge
> >
> > "Ray Calvert" > wrote in message
> > . com...
> >> Sarge, According to the FDA figures, ripe fresh peaches have a Brix of
> >> 6
> >> to 12 or an SG of 1.022 to 1.047. If anything I would expect that you
> >> started with an SG on the low side. Were the peaches included in the

13
> >> gallons or were they added to it. If they were included, then you

> > probably
> >> started with Brix between 14 and 20. It is curious why it would have

> > stuck.
> >> I would follow Dar's suggestion and go to Jack's site and try to

restart
> > it.
> >> Did you add any nutrient?
> >>
> >> Ray

peach

> > 8

technique

SG

> > enough

fermentation

in

> > try

> > course

> > stopped

> > sugar.

> > except

appreciated.

Sarge

> [...]

nutrients.
> > What would be an alternative to nutrient additives? I know you can add
> > lemon for citric acid. What could take the place of DAP?
> > Sarge
> >
> > "Ray Calvert" > wrote in message
> > . com...
> >> Sarge, According to the FDA figures, ripe fresh peaches have a Brix of
> >> 6
> >> to 12 or an SG of 1.022 to 1.047. If anything I would expect that you
> >> started with an SG on the low side. Were the peaches included in the

13
> >> gallons or were they added to it. If they were included, then you

> > probably
> >> started with Brix between 14 and 20. It is curious why it would have

> > stuck.
> >> I would follow Dar's suggestion and go to Jack's site and try to

Sarge

Well , my stuck peach wine is progressing although very slowly (SG 1.026 -->
1.024 = .002 per week).
Is Peach Wine a little slow fermenting? If I hit it with more nutrients
what happens if the nutrients are not all used by the yeast will they
precipitate or will the impact the wine taste? Is there a way to filter out
the excess sugar?
thanks
Sarge

"Dar V" > wrote in message
> Sarge,
> Don't forget to add some yeast nutrient....the yeast sounds fine, the temp
> sounds a little on the low side. Do you have a heating pad or a slightly
> warmer spot for it so you can get it closer to 70F. I don't know that I
> would add anything until you finish fermenting to dry. After all, it will
> taste differently when its dry, and you will need to decide how to top-up
> after you rack it off the lees.
> Darlene
>
> "Sarge" > wrote in message
> > Darlene,
> > I have some d-47 yeast going now in a 1/2 gallon of white grape juice.
> > Once
> > it gets going I will add it in to the peach wine which is now at 65F.

The
> > peach wine tastes very sweet and very peachy. I am wondering if I

should
> > add some more sterilized water to lighten the taste a bit? To the 14
> > gallons of peach must only 2 gallons of water were added.
> > Sarge
> >
> > "Dar V" > wrote in message
> >> Sarge,
> >> Good-luck, and let us know how it is doing. I'm always hesitant to
> >> guess at a starting SG based on just the sugar added, because it

doesn't
> >> take into consideration the sugar which is in the fruit. I usually try
> >> shoot for a starting SG of 1.084-1.090 for fruit wines, so that when

the
> >> must ferments to dry you're looking at about a 11-12% alcohol by

volume.
> >> I usually do 1 gallon batches, so please excuse me while I think in
> >> those terms. Looks like you added roughly 2 lbs+ of sugar per gallon

> > which
> >> equals about 4 cups+ per gallon. I just looked at Jack's recipes for

> > Peach
> >> wine, and they call for 2 1/2-3 lbs per gallon, so I don't think you're

> > out
> >> of line with the sugar you added (still we don't know how sweet the

> > peaches
> >> were). If it were me, I would try to restart the fermentation and
> >> ferment
> >> to dry, because at this point my guess is that you don't have a high

> > enough
> >> % alcohol to help the wine age and keep for a while.
> >> Darlene

peach

> > 8

technique

SG

> > enough

fermentation

in

> > try

> > course

> > stopped

> > sugar.

> > except

appreciated.

Sarge

"Dar V" > wrote in message
> Sarge,
> Don't forget to add some yeast nutrient....the yeast sounds fine, the temp
> sounds a little on the low side. Do you have a heating pad or a slightly
> warmer spot for it so you can get it closer to 70F. I don't know that I
> would add anything until you finish fermenting to dry. After all, it will
> taste differently when its dry, and you will need to decide how to top-up
> after you rack it off the lees.
> Darlene
>
> "Sarge" > wrote in message
> > Darlene,
> > I have some d-47 yeast going now in a 1/2 gallon of white grape juice.
> > Once
> > it gets going I will add it in to the peach wine which is now at 65F.

The
> > peach wine tastes very sweet and very peachy. I am wondering if I

should
> > add some more sterilized water to lighten the taste a bit? To the 14
> > gallons of peach must only 2 gallons of water were added.
> > Sarge
> >
> > "Dar V" > wrote in message
> >> Sarge,
> >> Good-luck, and let us know how it is doing. I'm always hesitant to
> >> guess at a starting SG based on just the sugar added, because it

doesn't
> >> take into consideration the sugar which is in the fruit. I usually try
> >> shoot for a starting SG of 1.084-1.090 for fruit wines, so that when

the
> >> must ferments to dry you're looking at about a 11-12% alcohol by

volume.
> >> I usually do 1 gallon batches, so please excuse me while I think in
> >> those terms. Looks like you added roughly 2 lbs+ of sugar per gallon

> > which
> >> equals about 4 cups+ per gallon. I just looked at Jack's recipes for

> > Peach
> >> wine, and they call for 2 1/2-3 lbs per gallon, so I don't think you're

> > out
> >> of line with the sugar you added (still we don't know how sweet the

> > peaches
> >> were). If it were me, I would try to restart the fermentation and
> >> ferment
> >> to dry, because at this point my guess is that you don't have a high

> > enough
> >> % alcohol to help the wine age and keep for a while.
> >> Darlene

peach

> > 8

technique

SG

> > enough

fermentation

in

> > try

> > course

> > stopped

> > sugar.

> > except

appreciated.

Ray Calvert

"Sarge" > wrote in message
> Well , my stuck peach wine is progressing although very slowly (SG
> 1.026 -->
> 1.024 = .002 per week).
> Is Peach Wine a little slow fermenting? If I hit it with more nutrients
> what happens if the nutrients are not all used by the yeast will they
> precipitate or will the impact the wine taste? Is there a way to filter
> out
> the excess sugar?
> thanks
> Sarge

I made 10 gal's last year. It fermented fine. I added nutrient according
to the suggested amount on the nutrient package.

Ray

Ray Calvert

"Sarge" > wrote in message
> Well , my stuck peach wine is progressing although very slowly (SG
> 1.026 -->
> 1.024 = .002 per week).
> Is Peach Wine a little slow fermenting? If I hit it with more nutrients
> what happens if the nutrients are not all used by the yeast will they
> precipitate or will the impact the wine taste? Is there a way to filter
> out
> the excess sugar?
> thanks
> Sarge

I made 10 gal's last year. It fermented fine. I added nutrient according
to the suggested amount on the nutrient package.

Ray

Lum

"Sarge" > wrote in message
> Well , my stuck peach wine is progressing although very slowly (SG

1.026 -->
> 1.024 = .002 per week).
> Is Peach Wine a little slow fermenting? If I hit it with more nutrients
> what happens if the nutrients are not all used by the yeast will they
> precipitate or will the impact the wine taste? Is there a way to filter

out
> the excess sugar?
> thanks
> Sarge

Sarge,
There are several reasons for slow or stuck fermentations.
The temperature is too high or too low.
The yeast lacks oxygen.
The yeast lacks nitrogen.
The yeast lacks vitamins and minerals.
The yeast added was either dead or weak.
Etc., etc.

If your fermentation is just slow, I would get the temperature to about 70
degree, add a complete yeast nutrient and splash the liquid to get a little
air into the fermentation.

If the fermentation is stuck, I would do the above, and also make up a
starter. More info at the bottom of the page here
http://home.att.net/~lumeisenman/chapt12.html

Good luck.
Lum
Del Mar, California, USA

Sarge

Thanks Lum,
I gather you think .002 SG per week is not a good rate for fermementation?
I was thinking of following your procedure to get a new starter batch of
yeast going using ec118. Do you see any issues with using EC118 for this?
Sarge

"Lum" > wrote in message

> "Sarge" > wrote in message
> > Well , my stuck peach wine is progressing although very slowly (SG

> 1.026 -->
> > 1.024 = .002 per week).
> > Is Peach Wine a little slow fermenting? If I hit it with more

nutrients
> > what happens if the nutrients are not all used by the yeast will they
> > precipitate or will the impact the wine taste? Is there a way to filter

> out
> > the excess sugar?
> > thanks
> > Sarge

> Sarge,
> There are several reasons for slow or stuck fermentations.
> The temperature is too high or too low.
> The yeast lacks oxygen.
> The yeast lacks nitrogen.
> The yeast lacks vitamins and minerals.
> The yeast added was either dead or weak.
> Etc., etc.
>
> If your fermentation is just slow, I would get the temperature to about 70
> degree, add a complete yeast nutrient and splash the liquid to get a

little
> air into the fermentation.
>
> If the fermentation is stuck, I would do the above, and also make up a
> starter. More info at the bottom of the page here
> http://home.att.net/~lumeisenman/chapt12.html
>
> Good luck.
> Lum
> Del Mar, California, USA

Sarge

"Lum" > wrote in message

> "Sarge" > wrote in message
> > Well , my stuck peach wine is progressing although very slowly (SG

> 1.026 -->
> > 1.024 = .002 per week).
> > Is Peach Wine a little slow fermenting? If I hit it with more

nutrients
> > what happens if the nutrients are not all used by the yeast will they
> > precipitate or will the impact the wine taste? Is there a way to filter

> out
> > the excess sugar?
> > thanks
> > Sarge

> Sarge,
> There are several reasons for slow or stuck fermentations.
> The temperature is too high or too low.
> The yeast lacks oxygen.
> The yeast lacks nitrogen.
> The yeast lacks vitamins and minerals.
> The yeast added was either dead or weak.
> Etc., etc.
>
> If your fermentation is just slow, I would get the temperature to about 70
> degree, add a complete yeast nutrient and splash the liquid to get a

little
> air into the fermentation.
>
> If the fermentation is stuck, I would do the above, and also make up a
> starter. More info at the bottom of the page here
> http://home.att.net/~lumeisenman/chapt12.html
>
> Good luck.
> Lum
> Del Mar, California, USA

Sarge

"Lum" > wrote in message

> "Sarge" > wrote in message
> > Well , my stuck peach wine is progressing although very slowly (SG

> 1.026 -->
> > 1.024 = .002 per week).
> > Is Peach Wine a little slow fermenting? If I hit it with more

nutrients
> > what happens if the nutrients are not all used by the yeast will they
> > precipitate or will the impact the wine taste? Is there a way to filter

> out
> > the excess sugar?
> > thanks
> > Sarge

> Sarge,
> There are several reasons for slow or stuck fermentations.
> The temperature is too high or too low.
> The yeast lacks oxygen.
> The yeast lacks nitrogen.
> The yeast lacks vitamins and minerals.
> The yeast added was either dead or weak.
> Etc., etc.
>
> If your fermentation is just slow, I would get the temperature to about 70
> degree, add a complete yeast nutrient and splash the liquid to get a

little
> air into the fermentation.
>
> If the fermentation is stuck, I would do the above, and also make up a
> starter. More info at the bottom of the page here
> http://home.att.net/~lumeisenman/chapt12.html
>
> Good luck.
> Lum
> Del Mar, California, USA

Lum

"Sarge" > wrote in message
> Thanks Lum,
> I gather you think .002 SG per week is not a good rate for fermementation?
> I was thinking of following your procedure to get a new starter batch of
> yeast going using ec118. Do you see any issues with using EC118 for this?
> Sarge

That rate is too slow for normal fermentation temperatures.

EC1118 is a good choice. That's what I would use.

Lum
Del Mar, California, USA

Lum

"Sarge" > wrote in message
> Thanks Lum,
> I gather you think .002 SG per week is not a good rate for fermementation?
> I was thinking of following your procedure to get a new starter batch of
> yeast going using ec118. Do you see any issues with using EC118 for this?
> Sarge

That rate is too slow for normal fermentation temperatures.

EC1118 is a good choice. That's what I would use.

Lum
Del Mar, California, USA

Sarge

Hi Lum

I tried some EC1118. I followed your procedure (sparkling wine section) to
start the yeast.
I got it going for a few hours and kept doubling the volume with the stuck
peach wine. As I said earlier it worked for the first few times and then it
stopped. I have now been trying for 2 days to get it going again without
success.
The yeast has now settled to the bottom. I have kept the container in the
oven with the light on so the temp should be around 85F.
Is the yeast dead at this point? Should I give up on this starter batch and
start a new batch?
thanks
Sarge

"Lum" > wrote in message

> "Sarge" > wrote in message
> > Thanks Lum,
> > I gather you think .002 SG per week is not a good rate for

fermementation?
> > I was thinking of following your procedure to get a new starter batch of
> > yeast going using ec118. Do you see any issues with using EC118 for

this?
> > Sarge

> That rate is too slow for normal fermentation temperatures.
>
> EC1118 is a good choice. That's what I would use.
>
> Lum
> Del Mar, California, USA

Lum

"Sarge" > wrote in message
.. .
> Hi Lum
>
> I tried some EC1118. I followed your procedure (sparkling wine section)

> start the yeast.
> I got it going for a few hours and kept doubling the volume with the stuck
> peach wine. As I said earlier it worked for the first few times and then

it
> stopped. I have now been trying for 2 days to get it going again without
> success.
> The yeast has now settled to the bottom. I have kept the container in the
> oven with the light on so the temp should be around 85F.
> Is the yeast dead at this point? Should I give up on this starter batch

and
> start a new batch?
> thanks
> Sarge

Sarge,
If the temperature is OK and EC1118 wont start a stuck fermentation using
the doubling method, there is probably something wrong with the wine.
Perhaps the fermentation contains excessive amounts of acetic acid or it was
accidentally contaminated.
There is too much alcohol present to add nutrients now and the doubling
method introduces extra oxygen, so I don't have any other suggestions.
Sorry. Perhaps it is time to start a new batch.
Lum
Del Mar, California, USA

Sarge

Lum,
The Peach wine actually tastes quite nice except it is way too sweet. Is
there a way to get rid of the excess sweetness without stripping out the
flavor?
thanks
Sarge

Is there a waThanks for your advice

Peach Wine David J. Winemaking 7 07-01-2005 05:49 PM
Peach Wine David J. Winemaking 0 03-01-2005 07:52 PM
Aging Peach Wine and sweetening peach wine Robert Perkins Winemaking 3 11-11-2004 07:03 PM
Peach Wine spud Winemaking 19 24-08-2004 06:55 AM
peach wine Alex Brewer Winemaking 1 19-01-2004 09:39 PM