Julie

Default Blueberry-Cherry and Mango opinion

What does everyone think of the combination of Blueberry-Cherry? Or
just plain old Blueberry. I've made both before, and I enjoyed
both.....

while I'm at it, what about Mango? Has anyone ever made Mango? is it
better mixed with another fruit, or by itself?

Cheers!
Julie
Robin Somes

In message >, Julie
> writes
>
>while I'm at it, what about Mango? Has anyone ever made Mango? is
>it better mixed with another fruit, or by itself?

I've made a batch of mango this year, having tried some (commercially
produced) in Australia in the summer. I can't vouch for its flavour,
because it's not finished yet, but it looks pretty good.

Mango's a distinctive flavour, but one that does seem to lend itself to
mingling with other flavours. I think I'd personally prefer it on its
own - but that's not to say it shouldn't be done.

The recipe I used was Mango (1) from Jack Keller's site

http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/reques57.asp

though I think I used a Sauternes yeast, not Montrachet or Champagne.

cheers,
robin

--
www.newforestartgallery.co.uk
www.badminston.demon.co.uk www.robinsomes.co.uk
Robin Somes

In message >, Julie
> writes
>
>while I'm at it, what about Mango? Has anyone ever made Mango? is
>it better mixed with another fruit, or by itself?

I've made a batch of mango this year, having tried some (commercially
produced) in Australia in the summer. I can't vouch for its flavour,
because it's not finished yet, but it looks pretty good.

Mango's a distinctive flavour, but one that does seem to lend itself to
mingling with other flavours. I think I'd personally prefer it on its
own - but that's not to say it shouldn't be done.

The recipe I used was Mango (1) from Jack Keller's site

http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/reques57.asp

though I think I used a Sauternes yeast, not Montrachet or Champagne.

cheers,
robin

--
www.newforestartgallery.co.uk
www.badminston.demon.co.uk www.robinsomes.co.uk
www.amazonian-fish.co.uk www.pisces-conservation.com
www.irchouse.demon.co.uk www.blackwell-science.com/southwood
Trust me, I'm a webmaster...
Ken Vale

Julie wrote:

> What does everyone think of the combination of Blueberry-Cherry? Or
> just plain old Blueberry. I've made both before, and I enjoyed
> both.....
>
> while I'm at it, what about Mango? Has anyone ever made Mango? is it
> better mixed with another fruit, or by itself?
>
> Cheers!
> Julie

I don't know about the Cherry I haven't had enough time to play yet. I
do however know about the Mango, I made a Mango/Peach/Lemon Melomel
(yeah a fruit mead not a wine, but close enough) which was very well
recieved (a nice combination of flavours). Due to some problems I had
with a Peach mead I decided not to walk down that path again for a bit
and instead made a Mango/Lemon Melomel which needs to be bottled soon
(but tastes nice at the moment). I'm not sure how much that helps.
Ken
Ken Vale

Julie wrote:

> What does everyone think of the combination of Blueberry-Cherry? Or
> just plain old Blueberry. I've made both before, and I enjoyed
> both.....
>
> while I'm at it, what about Mango? Has anyone ever made Mango? is it
> better mixed with another fruit, or by itself?
>
> Cheers!
> Julie

I don't know about the Cherry I haven't had enough time to play yet. I
do however know about the Mango, I made a Mango/Peach/Lemon Melomel
(yeah a fruit mead not a wine, but close enough) which was very well
recieved (a nice combination of flavours). Due to some problems I had
with a Peach mead I decided not to walk down that path again for a bit
and instead made a Mango/Lemon Melomel which needs to be bottled soon
(but tastes nice at the moment). I'm not sure how much that helps.
Ken

Ken Vale

Julie wrote:

> What does everyone think of the combination of Blueberry-Cherry? Or
> just plain old Blueberry. I've made both before, and I enjoyed
> both.....
>
> while I'm at it, what about Mango? Has anyone ever made Mango? is it
> better mixed with another fruit, or by itself?
>
> Cheers!
> Julie

I don't know about the Cherry I haven't had enough time to play yet. I
do however know about the Mango, I made a Mango/Peach/Lemon Melomel
(yeah a fruit mead not a wine, but close enough) which was very well
recieved (a nice combination of flavours). Due to some problems I had
with a Peach mead I decided not to walk down that path again for a bit
and instead made a Mango/Lemon Melomel which needs to be bottled soon
(but tastes nice at the moment). I'm not sure how much that helps.
Ken
Julie

Ken, do you have a recipe for the Mango/lemon? that sounds lovely....
Ray Calvert

You might consider making a batch of each and then try blending. That way
you can adjust the proportions. When you hit on proportions you like, then
you can try making batch by blending that set of fruit when you start the
wine.

Ray

"Julie" > wrote in message
om...
> What does everyone think of the combination of Blueberry-Cherry? Or
> just plain old Blueberry. I've made both before, and I enjoyed
> both.....
>
> while I'm at it, what about Mango? Has anyone ever made Mango? is it
> better mixed with another fruit, or by itself?
>
> Cheers!
> Julie

Darren George

>>while I'm at it, what about Mango? Has anyone ever made Mango? is
>>it better mixed with another fruit, or by itself?

>Mango's a distinctive flavour, but one that does seem to lend itself to
>mingling with other flavours. I think I'd personally prefer it on its
>own - but that's not to say it shouldn't be done.

I made mango a few years ago. I don't actually like mango much, but
the wine was quite nice.

The recipe I used back then was the same for all fruit- about 3 pounds
of fruit, 3 pounds of sugar, the usual additives (acid blend,
pectinase, nutrient, energizer, etc.), for one imp. gallon of wine.

Cheers,
---The Mad Alchemist---
http://www.mad-alchemy.com
Email sent to the above address, unless clearly marked
as wine or heraldry, will be deleted unread.
Ken Vale

Julie wrote:

> Ken, do you have a recipe for the Mango/lemon? that sounds lovely....

No actually I don't, I have the recipe for the earlier Mango/Lemon/Peach
one, if I recall correctly I just replaced the peaches with more mango.
Anyways here is what I have:

Peach, Lemon and Mango Mead (makes 4 litres/1 gallon of must)
1.36g (3#) Clover Honey
450g (1#) Frozen Peaches
450g (1#) Frozen Mango
340g (0.75#) Frozen Lemon (including Peel)
Tannin
1 Campden tablet
Pectic Enzyme
Yeast (EC-1118, I changed this to D-47 for the Mango/Lemon one)
Yeast Nutrient
Boiled Filtered Tap Water to one gallon

You of course can alter as you wish or need. I will bottle the
Mango/Lemon this week/weekend and get back to you with any additional
comments I have.
Ken

Britt Smith

I make blueberry with Niagra raisins and cherry separate. Then I blend 2/3
blueberry and 1/3 Cherry at bottleing time.
I ferment to dryness and then sweeten with syrup to a SG of 1.010. I know
this may not be the most accurate way but it works for me.

Britt

om...