Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Poll: Blueberry cake vs. cherry cake

A. Blueberry cake
B. Cherry cake
C. Cherries for donuts, blueberries for coffee cake
D. Blueberries for donuts, cherries for coffee cake

W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Christopher M." wrote:

> A. Blueberry cake
> B. Cherry cake
> C. Cherries for donuts, blueberries for coffee cake
> D. Blueberries for donuts, cherries for coffee cake

E. None of the above
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 23 May 2012 17:04:10 -0700 (PDT), Bryan
> wrote:

>On May 23, 5:33*pm, JeanineAlyse > wrote:
>> On May 23, 1:44*pm, "Christopher M." > wrote:> A. Blueberry cake
>> > B. Cherry cake
>> > C. Cherries for donuts, blueberries for coffee cake
>> > D. Blueberries for donuts, cherries for coffee cake

>> Given the choice of only those two fruits, has to be cherries for
>> all. *I'm told that the reason I don't care for blueberries is only
>> because I cannot get them fresh.

>Why can't you get them fresh?

Only fresh picked are fresh... blueberries lose more than half their
flavor within the first hour of picking and their texture quickly
becomes mushy, fresh picked POP! I have a dozen blueberry bushes, I
know the difference.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

JeanineAlyse wrote:
> On May 23, 5:04 pm, Bryan > wrote:
>>> Given the choice of only those two fruits, has to be cherries for
>>> all. I'm told that the reason I don't care for blueberries is only
>>> because I cannot get them fresh.

>> Why can't you get them fresh?

> I live in the desert and no one that I know grows them. Perhaps I
> could find them sort of fresh while out to eat some place, I don't
> know. Growing up without them fresh I simply never developed a taste
> for blueberries, I find them all but flavorless. For the same reason,
> fresh or not, I don't care for strawberries either. I'm quite happy
> with boysenberries, raspberries and blackberries.
> ...Picky

Any huckleberries out in the desert? Huckleberries seem to be a rare
commodity where I live, in Massachusetts.

W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in message
> On Wed, 23 May 2012 17:04:10 -0700 (PDT), Bryan
> > wrote:
>
>>On May 23, 5:33 pm, JeanineAlyse > wrote:
>>> On May 23, 1:44 pm, "Christopher M." > wrote:>
>>> A. Blueberry cake

(snippage)

>>> Given the choice of only those two fruits, has to be cherries for
>>> all. I'm told that the reason I don't care for blueberries is only
>>> because I cannot get them fresh.

>>Why can't you get them fresh?

> Only fresh picked are fresh... blueberries lose more than half their
> flavor within the first hour of picking and their texture quickly
> becomes mushy, fresh picked POP! I have a dozen blueberry bushes, I
> know the difference.

Sheldon, you're very lucky! I remember when I was a little kid (five years
old?) picking blackberries and raspberries along the road while taking a
walk with my dad. Blueberries, no. Definitely not cherries! I do
remember the thorns from the blackberry and raspberry bushes! The wild
berries probably had a lot more flavour 40 years ago. And I'm sure that's
as fresh as the berries in my life will ever get

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 24, 7:25*am, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
> On Wed, 23 May 2012 17:04:10 -0700 (PDT), Bryan
>
> > wrote:
> >On May 23, 5:33 pm, JeanineAlyse > wrote:
> >> On May 23, 1:44 pm, "Christopher M." > wrote:> A. Blueberry cake

> >> Given the choice of only those two fruits, has to be cherries for
> >> all. I'm told that the reason I don't care for blueberries is only
> >> because I cannot get them fresh.

> >Why can't you get them fresh?

> Only fresh picked are fresh... blueberries lose more than half their
> flavor within the first hour of picking and their texture quickly
> becomes mushy, fresh picked POP! *I have a dozen blueberry bushes, I
> know the difference.

This is true- I never liked store bought blueberries, but fresh picked
are completely different. Unfortunately the last 2 seasons were so bad
that my favorite u-pick farm never even opened.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 24, 10:22*am, "Christopher M." >
wrote:
> JeanineAlyse wrote:
> >> Why can't you get them fresh?

> > I live in the desert and no one that I know grows them. *Perhaps I
> > could find them sort of fresh while out to eat some place, I don't
> > know. *Growing up without them fresh I simply never developed a taste
> > for blueberries, I find them all but flavorless. *For the same reason,
> > fresh or not, I don't care for strawberries either. *I'm quite happy
> > with boysenberries, raspberries and blackberries.
> > ...Picky

> Any huckleberries out in the desert? Huckleberries seem to be a rare
> commodity where I live, in Massachusetts.
>
> W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

We have them here where I live in WA- I probably have 30 bushes in my
yard. I don't like them tho- they taste musty to me.