Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default Irrigation during drought

I keep wondering if this site is going to continue with all of its
spam content now,but hope this still works.
I have a small vineyard (30 vines) in Herefordshire (SW England)
situated on a south facing 15 degrees slope on limestone based
soil.The site is dry at the best of times,but this year it is
exceptionally dry,after having no rainfall in this area at all since
March.I have already lost three apple trees,and several others are
under so much stress that I am watering them in succession 24hrs a
day.
The vines are just about at veraison time,and about three weeks
earlier than usual.The foliage looks healthy and dark green,with not
much growth now from the sideshoots.
During the last week I have been applying the water hosepipe to the
base of each vine for a few minutes(any more water just runs down the
slope)and the grapes seemed to have swelled a little.
Should I be watering vines as I know they are deep rooting-but so are
large apple trees which seemed to have benefitted from the applied
water.I have read somewhere that if one irrigates at all in drought
periods,apply the water before veraison.So do I continue or leave the
grapes now to go through the ripening period?
MIchael
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

In article >, michael > wrote:
>I keep wondering if this site is going to continue with all of its
>spam content now,but hope this still works.

*What* spam?

Oh. You're using Google Groups to access the newsgroup. That explains it.

Get yourself a (free) account at eternal-september.org, and a real newsreader
(Thunderbird is a good one), and stop using Google's badly broken portal. For
more than a year now, the only time I've seen any spam in this group is when
someone else quotes or replies to one of the spam posts.

Sorry I can't help you with your viticulture question. But at least I can help
to make reading the newsgroup a better experience for you. Contact me
off-group (doug at milmac dot com) if you have questions about how to read
newsgroups without using Google to do it.

drought gregz General Cooking 3 16-08-2012 05:20 PM
The end of the drought James Silverton[_4_] General Cooking 11 15-09-2011 01:41 AM
OT Drought Sufferers cybercat General Cooking 81 08-02-2008 11:19 PM
Reality Check - Vine Irrigation Needs Charles E Winemaking 24 30-05-2007 04:06 AM
Australian drought Ric Wine 3 03-11-2006 03:51 AM