Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default Plum wine query

Hi there!

We have a surfeit of plums this year - and very nice they are too! - but
rather than letting them go to waste, I was wondering how easy it'd be to
make plum wine? I've found a few recipes online but was wondering if anyone
here had any first-hand tips they could pass on?

Thanks in advance!

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

"john smith" > wrote in message
> Hi there!
>
> We have a surfeit of plums this year - and very nice they are too! - but
> rather than letting them go to waste, I was wondering how easy it'd be to
> make plum wine? I've found a few recipes online but was wondering if
> anyone
> here had any first-hand tips they could pass on?

Plums have a lot of sugar in them. So you have to be careful how much sugar
you add or the yeast won't handle it.

And you need to use a yeast with a high tolerance for sugar.

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

"Tom Kunich" > wrote in message
m...
> "john smith" > wrote in message
>> Hi there!
>>
>> We have a surfeit of plums this year - and very nice they are too! - but
>> rather than letting them go to waste, I was wondering how easy it'd be to
>> make plum wine? I've found a few recipes online but was wondering if
>> anyone
>> here had any first-hand tips they could pass on?

> Plums have a lot of sugar in them. So you have to be careful how much
> sugar you add or the yeast won't handle it.
>
> And you need to use a yeast with a high tolerance for sugar.

Pit and freeze them first. The freezing breaks down the cell walls. You'll
need a hydrometer to know how much sugar is present and how much to add. The
types of plums vary greatly just as grapes or other fruits do. Some make a
very nice wine and some just fair. Go to www.winepress.us , you'll get good
advise. There have bee recent threads about plums as well.
Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

"Tom Kunich" > wrote in message
m...
> "john smith" > wrote in message
>> Hi there!
>>
>> We have a surfeit of plums this year - and very nice they are too! - but
>> rather than letting them go to waste, I was wondering how easy it'd be to
>> make plum wine? I've found a few recipes online but was wondering if
>> anyone
>> here had any first-hand tips they could pass on?

> Plums have a lot of sugar in them. So you have to be careful how much
> sugar you add or the yeast won't handle it.
>
> And you need to use a yeast with a high tolerance for sugar.

Thanks for that! That's exactly the kind of thing I was looking for...

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

"Steve Peek" > wrote in message
m...

> "Tom Kunich" > wrote in message
> m...
>> "john smith" > wrote in message
>>> Hi there!
>>>
>>> We have a surfeit of plums this year - and very nice they are too! - but
>>> rather than letting them go to waste, I was wondering how easy it'd be
>>> make plum wine? I've found a few recipes online but was wondering if
>>> anyone
>>> here had any first-hand tips they could pass on?

>> Plums have a lot of sugar in them. So you have to be careful how much
>> sugar you add or the yeast won't handle it.
>>
>> And you need to use a yeast with a high tolerance for sugar.

> Pit and freeze them first. The freezing breaks down the cell walls. You'll
> need a hydrometer to know how much sugar is present and how much to add.
> The types of plums vary greatly just as grapes or other fruits do. Some
> make a very nice wine and some just fair. Go to www.winepress.us , you'll
> get good advise. There have bee recent threads about plums as well.
> Steve

Cheers for the advice and the link...

white wine query [email protected] Wine 24 08-08-2006 10:01 PM
Dar V ~ plum wine William Frazier Winemaking 6 30-11-2004 12:27 AM
plum wine p k Winemaking 7 22-10-2004 03:41 PM
Plum wine Alex Winemaking 19 02-09-2004 06:37 PM
Plum Wine [email protected] Winemaking 2 24-12-2003 12:42 AM