p k

Default plum wine

I am new at this business of making wine> I have made pear wine that tast a
lot like southern comfort (way too sweet for my my taste, but the wife liked
it), I made some apple wine and it was delicious, really bubbly.

but my last batcj of plum wiine taste just Gei Kei Kan without the
unpleasant after taste of supermarket stuff. I am using plastic buckets and
stuff purchased at health food stores and would appreciate any advice anyone
has to offer

pk

Bob

p k > wrote in message
ink.net...
> I am new at this business of making wine> I have made pear wine that tast

> lot like southern comfort (way too sweet for my my taste, but the wife

liked
> it), I made some apple wine and it was delicious, really bubbly.
>
> but my last batcj of plum wiine taste just Gei Kei Kan without the
> unpleasant after taste of supermarket stuff. I am using plastic buckets

and
> stuff purchased at health food stores and would appreciate any advice

anyone
> has to offer
>
> pk

I advise you to do just as you have been doing, bottle it all up, and
send it to
BOB
27954-0021 USA

Geoff McCaughan

p k > wrote:

> but my last batcj of plum wiine taste just Gei Kei Kan without the
> unpleasant after taste of supermarket stuff.

Could you describe the taste? I have no idea if you're saying it's good or
bad.

> I am using plastic buckets and stuff purchased at health food stores and
> would appreciate any advice anyone has to offer

Plum wine is easy to make and very good. What sort of advice were you
looking for?

--
Burn the land and boil the sea,
You can't take the sky from me.
Geoff McCaughan

p k > wrote:

> but my last batcj of plum wiine taste just Gei Kei Kan without the
> unpleasant after taste of supermarket stuff.

Could you describe the taste? I have no idea if you're saying it's good or
bad.

> I am using plastic buckets and stuff purchased at health food stores and
> would appreciate any advice anyone has to offer

Plum wine is easy to make and very good. What sort of advice were you
looking for?

--
Burn the land and boil the sea,
You can't take the sky from me.
p k

well first of all the wine has a avery good flavor. it actually tastes like
"more". Fact is that I was the produce manager of a supermarket and mad it
exclusively from black plums.

I was'nt really asking for advice but was instead seeking input from anyone
who might have more experience at this than I have. And I sure that there
is infinitely large number of those people as I am very new at this this,,

pk

"Geoff McCaughan" > wrote in message
> p k > wrote:
>
> > but my last batcj of plum wiine taste just Gei Kei Kan without the
> > unpleasant after taste of supermarket stuff.

> Could you describe the taste? I have no idea if you're saying it's good or
> bad.
>
> > I am using plastic buckets and stuff purchased at health food stores

and
> > would appreciate any advice anyone has to offer

> Plum wine is easy to make and very good. What sort of advice were you
> looking for?
>
> --
> Burn the land and boil the sea,
> You can't take the sky from me.

p k

well first of all the wine has a avery good flavor. it actually tastes like
"more". Fact is that I was the produce manager of a supermarket and mad it
exclusively from black plums.

I was'nt really asking for advice but was instead seeking input from anyone
who might have more experience at this than I have. And I sure that there
is infinitely large number of those people as I am very new at this this,,

pk

"Geoff McCaughan" > wrote in message
> p k > wrote:
>
> > but my last batcj of plum wiine taste just Gei Kei Kan without the
> > unpleasant after taste of supermarket stuff.

> Could you describe the taste? I have no idea if you're saying it's good or
> bad.
>
> > I am using plastic buckets and stuff purchased at health food stores

and
> > would appreciate any advice anyone has to offer

> Plum wine is easy to make and very good. What sort of advice were you
> looking for?
>
> --
> Burn the land and boil the sea,
> You can't take the sky from me.

Jack Keller

pk, it's hard to offer comments when you haven't said anything about
how you made your wine (how much fruit per gallon of wine, how much
sugar added, which yeast used, etc.). But, having said that, I'll
shoot from the hip anyway.

I have made black plum wine two ways. Most of the time I used whole
crushed fruit and refined cane sugar. Once I kept the pulp in the
wine for a very long time to extract some color for a darker wine.
That wine got a little darker (not as much as I wanted), but was a
bear to clear. In fact, it never did polish. The last time I made it
I tossed 1/2 ounce of dried elderberries in the must and strained them
out two days later. It remains the only deep red plum wine I have
ever made or even seen.

Plum wine works well with Demerara sugar. This is a light brown sugar
with large golden crystals. It is slightly sticky and has an
unmatched flavor. It is also difficult to find and expensive, but
worth the investment when available. Do NOT use regular brown sugar,
although "Sugar in the Raw" is interesting with plum.

I don't think any of the cultivars match the flavor of wild plums. I
have tried several wild varieties (actually, they are different
species) and every single one of them -- with the exception of Prunus
ilicifolia -- made exceptional wine. You might want to see my
WineBlog entry for September 11, 2004 at
http://www.homebrew.com/wine_cellar/wineblog.shtml.

Jack Keller, The Winemaking Home Page
http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/
Jack Keller

[...]

Dar V ~ plum wine William Frazier Winemaking 6 30-11-2004 12:27 AM
Plum wine Alex Winemaking 11 22-09-2004 06:45 AM
Plum wine Alex Winemaking 19 02-09-2004 06:37 PM
plum wine surfbum Winemaking 6 27-07-2004 09:34 PM
Plum Wine [email protected] Winemaking 2 24-12-2003 12:42 AM