Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default Very Very Fast

When I was fermenting that orange wine I was rather surprised that it
reached it's alcohol level in four days. I had the idea that it would take
several weeks to a month but it went from new to lower than .99 in four
days.

What do you think about that?

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Sun, 13 Feb 2011 08:47:07 -0800, "Tom Kunich"
> wrote:

>When I was fermenting that orange wine I was rather surprised that it
>reached it's alcohol level in four days. I had the idea that it would take
>several weeks to a month but it went from new to lower than .99 in four
>days.
>
>What do you think about that?

Well I think it would depend on the inital gravity, if it was low to
start with then fermentation would obviously be quicker.

I don't think you took a hydrometer reading before you added the
yeast did you?

Charlie

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

"Charlie" <charliedatiinet.net.aus> wrote in message
> On Sun, 13 Feb 2011 08:47:07 -0800, "Tom Kunich"
> > wrote:
>
>>When I was fermenting that orange wine I was rather surprised that it
>>reached it's alcohol level in four days. I had the idea that it would take
>>several weeks to a month but it went from new to lower than .99 in four
>>days.
>>
>>What do you think about that?

> Well I think it would depend on the inital gravity, if it was low to
> start with then fermentation would obviously be quicker.
>
> I don't think you took a hydrometer reading before you added the
> yeast did you?

That's correct but I've checked the hydrometer on water and it read 1.00 as
it was supposed to. So the orange juice would be significantly heavier. And
the reading after just four days was off of the top of the scale well below
0.9

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

"Tom Kunich" > writes:

> "Charlie" <charliedatiinet.net.aus> wrote in message
>> On Sun, 13 Feb 2011 08:47:07 -0800, "Tom Kunich"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>When I was fermenting that orange wine I was rather surprised that it
>>>reached it's alcohol level in four days. I had the idea that it would take
>>>several weeks to a month but it went from new to lower than .99 in four
>>>days.
>>>
>>>What do you think about that?

>> Well I think it would depend on the inital gravity, if it was low to
>> start with then fermentation would obviously be quicker.
>>
>> I don't think you took a hydrometer reading before you added the
>> yeast did you?

> That's correct but I've checked the hydrometer on water and it read 1.00 as
> it was supposed to. So the orange juice would be significantly heavier. And
> the reading after just four days was off of the top of the scale well below
> 0.9

The point isn't whether the hydrometer is accurate, it's how much sugar
was available to convert to alcohol.

My guess is the same as the others who have commented: you didn't have
much sugar in your orange juice, it was done in four days, and you don't
have much alcohol in your orange wine.
--
This sig block for rent
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

"Joe Pfeiffer" > wrote in message

> My guess is the same as the others who have commented: you didn't have
> much sugar in your orange juice, it was done in four days, and you don't
> have much alcohol in your orange wine.

In ten lbs of unpeeled oranges I added 6 lbs of sugar.

Better be fast! Ross@home Preserving 0 28-07-2010 08:46 PM
Fast Diets ,What have you heard about fast diets? maria Diabetic 1 21-03-2010 04:30 PM
hot and fast BOB[_9_] Barbecue 0 31-07-2008 03:39 AM
Sugar fast [email protected] Vegan 4 12-02-2008 11:53 PM