Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default a question about when to fine

I'm never sure this group is still active, but here goes:

When making a white wine from grapes, I find that the SG is down to
0.992, but I'm still slowly bubbling. I'm assuming that this is
dissolved CO2...do you agree?

But even after 2 weeks of the wine at a SG of 0.992, it's still cloudy
with only minimal signs of clarifying. I'd rather allow the wine to
clear on its own, but I also want to have it relatively clear in time
for the really cold winter weather to allow for a good 3 weeks of cold
stabilization. Should I fine now with bentonite, or do you think I
should just wait it out?

Thanks,

Lee
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

"Lee" > wrote in message
> I'm never sure this group is still active, but here goes:
>
> When making a white wine from grapes, I find that the SG is down to
> 0.992, but I'm still slowly bubbling. I'm assuming that this is
> dissolved CO2...do you agree?
>
> But even after 2 weeks of the wine at a SG of 0.992, it's still cloudy
> with only minimal signs of clarifying. I'd rather allow the wine to
> clear on its own, but I also want to have it relatively clear in time
> for the really cold winter weather to allow for a good 3 weeks of cold
> stabilization. Should I fine now with bentonite, or do you think I
> should just wait it out?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Lee

I find that the cold often helps settle out the last bit of haze. Put your
wine out in the garage for a few days.

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Lee > wrote:

> I'm never sure this group is still active, but here goes:
>
> When making a white wine from grapes, I find that the SG is down to
> 0.992, but I'm still slowly bubbling. I'm assuming that this is
> dissolved CO2...do you agree?
>
> But even after 2 weeks of the wine at a SG of 0.992, it's still cloudy
> with only minimal signs of clarifying. I'd rather allow the wine to
> clear on its own, but I also want to have it relatively clear in time
> for the really cold winter weather to allow for a good 3 weeks of cold
> stabilization. Should I fine now with bentonite, or do you think I
> should just wait it out?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Lee

I think 0.992 is pretty dry.

I just wonder if there is gas trapped in the wine. This can make it slow
to clear, even with finings. I give mine a shake once or twice a day
over 3 to 4 days.

--
Thanks and regards, Shane.
"A closed mouth gathers no feet!"
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

I like to fine my whites with a very small dose of bentonite when
pitching the yeast. I generally use about 1/4 tsp per gallon. If you
add bentonite now you may get an explosive release of CO2 from the
wine, causing it to blast out of the carboy. Work it in slowly and in
small increments.

Greg G.

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

It is quite possible that the sugar has all been used and a malolactic
fermentation of acid is occuring.
Check the wine for residual sugar with benedicts solution.
If you get only a slight reaction with benedicts a malolactic
fermentation is probable. This can be stopped by quite a small SO2
addition.

Bob M
www.molab.co.nz

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

In article > ,
"Steve Peek" > wrote:

> "Lee" > wrote in message
> > I'm never sure this group is still active, but here goes:
> >
> > When making a white wine from grapes, I find that the SG is down to
> > 0.992, but I'm still slowly bubbling. I'm assuming that this is
> > dissolved CO2...do you agree?
> >
> > But even after 2 weeks of the wine at a SG of 0.992, it's still cloudy
> > with only minimal signs of clarifying. I'd rather allow the wine to
> > clear on its own, but I also want to have it relatively clear in time
> > for the really cold winter weather to allow for a good 3 weeks of cold
> > stabilization. Should I fine now with bentonite, or do you think I
> > should just wait it out?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Lee

> I find that the cold often helps settle out the last bit of haze. Put your
> wine out in the garage for a few days.

A truly dry wine will give you negative brix readings. Can the finished
wine be stored in a refrigerator? Otherwise, with out sterile
filtration, you risk re-fermentation.

Don't put wine in the garage if the temperature is lower than 50F. It
can damage the wine. Between 50F - 60F will also precipitate out excess
tartrates.
--
- Billy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyE5wjc4XOw