Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default Fractional Crystallisation

I've got some wine, the only defect of which is lack of alcohol. Apart
from that taste and colour is ok.
Was thinking of freezing some water of it to increase alcohol content.

My issue is, would removing the ice, remove also taste or colour? or
in someway diminish that particular quality of the wine.

Was thinking of crystallisation vs distillation, because it inherently
easier and does not require any special apparatus.
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Jul 19, 12:05*am, fishziblu > wrote:
> I've got some wine, the only defect of which is lack of alcohol. Apart
> from that taste and colour is ok.
> Was thinking of freezing some water of it to increase alcohol content.
>
> My issue is, would removing the ice, remove also taste or colour? or
> in someway diminish that particular quality of the wine.
>
> Was thinking of crystallisation vs distillation, because it inherently
> easier and does not require any special apparatus.

If it tastes fine, the best way to fortify it is to add neutral
spirits (everclear). Crystallizing the water, or distilling it are
both equally illegal in most jurisdictions, and may completely change
the flavour of the wine.