Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default Bottled red wine

Some of you may recall that I have been having problems with my 2006
Regent red wine.It seemed tannic and rather harsh after about 3.5
years in a 5 litre demijohn.However it has now been in a bottle for 3
months and on opening a bottle this lunchtime,I was very pleasantly
surprised how much smoother it had become.In fact my wife described it
now as being very good and smooth,whereas previously she described it
as harsh and tannic.
What happens to red wine when it is bottled? I always have assumed
that the wine in a 5l glass demijohn would taste the same as that in a
70cl glass bottle.Is it the air one introduces when transferring,and
does that suggest that I should be racking my wines rather more than I
do?
Comments welcome.
Michael
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Micheal,

Racking is the best way to age a wine. The oxygen added when bottling
obviously helped. You also may of had CO2 that blew off on the
racking. After 12 years of winemaking I have noticed that it's almost
easier to suffocate a wine then to add to much oxygen. If you don't
rack enough the wine will not degas and will not age correctly.

On May 21, 9:14*am, michael > wrote:
> Some of you may recall that I have been having problems with my 2006
> Regent red wine.It seemed tannic and rather harsh after about 3.5
> years in a 5 litre demijohn.However it has now been in a bottle for 3
> months and on opening a bottle this lunchtime,I was very pleasantly
> surprised how much smoother it had become.In fact my wife described it
> now as being very good and smooth,whereas previously she described it
> as harsh and tannic.
> What happens to red wine when it is bottled? I always have assumed
> that the wine in a 5l glass demijohn would taste the same as that in a
> 70cl glass bottle.Is it the air one introduces when transferring,and
> does that suggest that I should be racking my wines rather more than I
> do?
> Comments welcome.
> Michael

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On May 22, 2:26*pm, wrote:
> Micheal,
>
> Racking is the best way to age a wine. The oxygen added when bottling
> obviously helped. You also may *of had CO2 that blew off on the
> racking. After 12 years of winemaking I have noticed that it's almost
> easier to suffocate a wine then to add to much oxygen. If you don't
> rack enough the wine will not degas and will not age correctly.
>
> On May 21, 9:14*am, michael > wrote:
>
> > Some of you may recall that I have been having problems with my 2006
> > Regent red wine.It seemed tannic and rather harsh after about 3.5
> > years in a 5 litre demijohn.However it has now been in a bottle for 3
> > months and on opening a bottle this lunchtime,I was very pleasantly
> > surprised how much smoother it had become.In fact my wife described it
> > now as being very good and smooth,whereas previously she described it
> > as harsh and tannic.
> > What happens to red wine when it is bottled? I always have assumed
> > that the wine in a 5l glass demijohn would taste the same as that in a
> > 70cl glass bottle.Is it the air one introduces when transferring,and
> > does that suggest that I should be racking my wines rather more than I
> > do?
> > Comments welcome.
> > Michael

I had a similar experience with an elderberry/blackberry 2 years
bulk / 3 months bottle. It' amazingly good compared to taste in
bulk...