Posted to rec.crafts.brewing,rec.crafts.winemaking

Default Iodophor vs Pot. Meta Bisulfite

Greetings to all! Since I'm both a homebrewer and a home vintner I'd only
ever used iodophor in the brewery & PotMetaBi-etc. in the winery, can one
use either interchangably? mostly, I'd prefer to use the PotMBetc in both
applications, but I'm curious how beer reacts with the chemical. If they're
mutually exclusive applications, so be it. Thoughts? regards bob

Posted to rec.crafts.brewing,rec.crafts.winemaking

In article >, "bobdrob" > wrote:
>Greetings to all! Since I'm both a homebrewer and a home vintner I'd only
>ever used iodophor in the brewery & PotMetaBi-etc. in the winery, can one
>use either interchangably? mostly, I'd prefer to use the PotMBetc in both
>applications, but I'm curious how beer reacts with the chemical. If they're
>mutually exclusive applications, so be it. Thoughts? regards bob

Keep 'em separate. According to our local brew shop, iodophor will produce
unpleasant odors and flavors in wine, and PMB isn't a strong enough sanitizer
to be used for beermaking (wine, having much higher levels of both alcohol and
acid, is a much less hospitable environment for the growth of microbes than
beer is). Moreover, iodophor doesn't contribute free SO2, which is important
to retard oxidation in wine.
Posted to rec.crafts.brewing,rec.crafts.winemaking

In article >,
"bobdrob" > wrote:

> Greetings to all! Since I'm both a homebrewer and a home vintner I'd only
> ever used iodophor in the brewery & PotMetaBi-etc. in the winery, can one
> use either interchangably? mostly, I'd prefer to use the PotMBetc in both
> applications, but I'm curious how beer reacts with the chemical. If they're
> mutually exclusive applications, so be it. Thoughts? regards bob

Iodophor is a disinfectant, which is to say it is bactericidal.
SO2 is bacteriostatic.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacteriostatic_agent

The difference is the iodophor kills bacteria, and SO2 will make them
dormant. Iodophor is used in wineries to disinfect tanks and hoses, and
SO2, with citric, is used for rinsing equipment to remove metalic ions,
and halogens. Citric is a chelating agent that binds to halogens (like
iodine, fluorine, chlorine, ect.).

As you can see, iodophor and SO2 have different functions. If SO2 was
bactericidal, you would only have to make one addition to your wines.
Additionally, SO2 prevents wine pigments from browning, at least in
young wines.

Beer has a higher pH than wines and is less able to withstand microbes,
therefore with beer you really need to sanitize scrupulously to avoid
contamination. Wine, with its' lower pH, is more resistant to microbial
damage.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100119/...ting_activists
http://www.democracynow.org/2010/1/19/headlines

Iodophor and cross contamination William Frazier Winemaking 8 17-03-2006 05:48 PM
Meta For [email protected] Winemaking 1 25-07-2005 10:18 PM
Meta - has this happened to you? Rob Winemaking 2 25-07-2005 07:26 AM
Sodium Meta or Pot Meta Allen Winemaking 2 06-10-2004 05:11 AM
Na Meta vrs. K Meta glad heart Winemaking 5 01-11-2003 10:33 AM