Bob

Default ph question

"Tom S" > wrote in message
. com...

> "Bob" > wrote in message
> > IF YOU ADD ANYTHING IN, ADD IT SLOWLY OR IT WILL GUSH OUT LIKE A

HUGE
> > BOTTLE OF CHAMPAGNE!!!! TRUST ME ON THIS!!!!

> That's a good point, and one I'd forgotten to mention. I saw that happen
> last year at the winery when someone dumped a 50 pound bag of tartaric

into
> a 5000 gallon tank of fermenting Sauvignon Blanc. WOW, that was exciting!
> Sounded like a jet taking off at LAX, as hundreds of gallons of foam

rushed
> up through the manway and headed straight for the drains. Wish I had a
> video of that...

LOL!!! Sounds like the I LOVE LUCY episode where the foam comes spewing out
of the washer or whatever.........
--
"I can't stand water because of the things fish do in it.
Once, whilst traversing the Himalayas, we lost our corkscrew,

> But back to the original point. If the fermentation isn't really under

way
> yet, an addition _probably_ won't be catastrophic. Still, it can't hurt

> pull out a liter or two of juice, dissolve the tartaric in that and add

that
> portion back to the fermenter.
>
> Tom S

Bob

"Matt Mika" <rotaour@dimcomPeRiOdnet> wrote in message
> Took a reading on the must and it was at 3.27 so I left it alone. From
> what little I've read this is right in the proper range isnt it?

I'm seeing a lot of posts on ph and I've always been told it is % acid
that counts, usually expressed as a percent of tartaric acid, 0.65% being a
good place to start.
So what gives???

> On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 09:00:32 -0600, Matt Mika
> <rotaour@dimcomPeRiOdnet> wrote:
>
> >I started my 3rd batch of wine last night. I just remembered that I
> >forgot to take a pH reading and adjust if neccesary. Will it be too
> >late to take a reading and adjust tonight after work if it needs it?
> >
> >I made the yeast starter last night and let it sit approx. 10 hrs.
> >then pitched it into 3 gals of must this morning. It seems it might
> >take a while for the yeast to get going, but Im not sure when its too
> >late to fiddle with it.
> >TIA

Matt Mika

Check this out;
http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/acid.asp

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 15:03:41 -0400, "Bob" > wrote:

>"Matt Mika" <rotaour@dimcomPeRiOdnet> wrote in message
.. .
>> Took a reading on the must and it was at 3.27 so I left it alone. From
>> what little I've read this is right in the proper range isnt it?

> I'm seeing a lot of posts on ph and I've always been told it is % acid
>that counts, usually expressed as a percent of tartaric acid, 0.65% being a
>good place to start.
> So what gives???
>>
>> On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 09:00:32 -0600, Matt Mika
>> <rotaour@dimcomPeRiOdnet> wrote:
>>
>> >I started my 3rd batch of wine last night. I just remembered that I
>> >forgot to take a pH reading and adjust if neccesary. Will it be too
>> >late to take a reading and adjust tonight after work if it needs it?
>> >
>> >I made the yeast starter last night and let it sit approx. 10 hrs.
>> >then pitched it into 3 gals of must this morning. It seems it might
>> >take a while for the yeast to get going, but Im not sure when its too
>> >late to fiddle with it.
>> >TIA

Tom S

"Matt Mika" <rotaour@dimcomPeRiOdnet> wrote in message
> Took a reading on the must and it was at 3.27 so I left it alone. From
> what little I've read this is right in the proper range isnt it?

Yeah, that's OK. Gonna be a tart sucker though. 8^*

Tom S

Miker

"Bob" > wrote in message >...

> I'm seeing a lot of posts on ph and I've always been told it is % acid
> that counts, usually expressed as a percent of tartaric acid, 0.65% being a
> good place to start.
> So what gives???

Bob, there has been much discussion here about this very topic. Here's
one example:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...%3D10%26sa%3DN