Weez

Default Grenache Rosé

I've fermented a Grenache Rosé to dryness 0.990 but it should be sweet when
bottled, how much pot meta, sorbate and sugar should I be adding to get a
sweetness of about 1.010?
The wine is at 13% alc.
I have one document giving a range of:
3/4 - 2 tsp. per 23 litre batch for the Sorbate
1/3 - 1/2 tsp. per 23 litres for pot meta in sweet wine.
Is this right?
As for the sugar I don't have any calculation formulas (

Louise)
http://pages.infinit.net/weez1959/

LG1111

>how much pot meta, sorbate and sugar should I be adding to get a
>sweetness of about 1.010?

Whatever you do with the sugar, do it in increments and taste. Each time I've
tried to do this, I end up with wine that tastes too sweet. Your sense of
sweetness is affected by the pH of the wine, and a highly acidic wine will need
more sugar to seem sweet than a flabby wine with a higher pH.

Lee

Joe Sallustio

Louise,

I make a dry one, with that alcohol content it can taste sweet. Are
you sure you want to do anything to it just yet? It's pretty young.
You can sweeten anytime.

As to rough guesses at sorbate, meta and sugar for 23 litres:

Potassium sorbate: Normal dose is around 1 to 1.25 gm/ gal (US); it
weighs around 2.5 gm / teaspoon. 23 litre is around 6 gallons, 2.5 to
3 teaspoons should do.

If you want a ballpark for meta, no more than 1/2 teaspoon, I would
do a slightly rounded 1/4 teaspoon to aim for 50 ppm.

As to sugar, use table sugar. 2 tablespoons = 1 oz.
1 oz/ gallon = 0.25% rise in residual sugar.

You have 6 gallons, if you want to go in 0.5% increments 6 x 2 =12
oz, either use 3/4 cup sugar or 24 tablespoons. That should get you
close. Don't overdo it, you can always add more. You can warm a
little water and heat the water and sugar until it clears or just add
it straight, but it may foam up. Take some wine out first, you can
always put it back in.

Hope that helps,
Joe

"Weez" > wrote in message >...
> I've fermented a Grenache Rosé to dryness 0.990 but it should be sweet when
> bottled, how much pot meta, sorbate and sugar should I be adding to get a
> sweetness of about 1.010?
> The wine is at 13% alc.
> I have one document giving a range of:
> 3/4 - 2 tsp. per 23 litre batch for the Sorbate
> 1/3 - 1/2 tsp. per 23 litres for pot meta in sweet wine.
> Is this right?
> As for the sugar I don't have any calculation formulas (
>
> Louise)
> http://pages.infinit.net/weez1959/

Is Grenache the new Zinfandel Bi!! Wine 3 29-08-2014 04:42 AM
TN: Bojo rose, bubbly rose, and '02 Bdx DaleW Wine 0 11-05-2008 07:52 PM
Grenache........ [email protected] Winemaking 10 11-07-2006 01:09 AM
Grenache JR Wine 15 23-04-2006 12:28 AM
Grenache Rosé Weez Winemaking 3 06-09-2004 08:22 PM