Weez

Default Wine Emergency!!

I went and did a stupid!! I was preparing for my wine making, I ordered malo
lactic bacteria, went and got my grapes, had them crushed, added my pectic
enzyme and sulphite. Then I figured I would go check on the yeasts I have in
my fridge and aaaaahhhhhhh!
I don't have ANY!!
I should be adding it tomorrow afternoon but it's labour day tomorrow and
nobody's open. Will it wait til Tuesday?
Louise P

Jon Gilliam

Sure they will wait. Keep the must cool .. take some zip-lock bags, sanitize
them, fill them with ice, and suspend them in the must. Plastic milk jugs or
2-liter soda bottles work well also, but you have to have them filled and
frozen in advance and have additional ones you can freeze to exchange out.
Try to keep the must at 50 degrees F or below if you can. Of course keep it
covered so that no bugs can get in.

If you're making a red wine, what you're doing is a "cold soak." This is a
method often used to extract color and fruity flavors/aromas from the skins
without extracting too much tannin (tannin becomes soluable only when
there's alcohol present during the fermentation).

In fact, you may want to continue your cold soak for a couple more days,
since you've begun. Then pitch your yeast, and do a shortened
fermentation -- say 3 days or until you hit zero Brix on the hydrometer.

Jon

"Weez" > wrote in message
>I went and did a stupid!! I was preparing for my wine making, I ordered
>malo
> lactic bacteria, went and got my grapes, had them crushed, added my pectic
> enzyme and sulphite. Then I figured I would go check on the yeasts I have
> in
> my fridge and aaaaahhhhhhh!
> I don't have ANY!!
> I should be adding it tomorrow afternoon but it's labour day tomorrow and
> nobody's open. Will it wait til Tuesday?
> Louise P

Jon Gilliam

"Weez" > wrote in message
>I went and did a stupid!! I was preparing for my wine making, I ordered
>malo
> lactic bacteria, went and got my grapes, had them crushed, added my pectic
> enzyme and sulphite. Then I figured I would go check on the yeasts I have
> in
> my fridge and aaaaahhhhhhh!
> I don't have ANY!!
> I should be adding it tomorrow afternoon but it's labour day tomorrow and
> nobody's open. Will it wait til Tuesday?
> Louise P

Robert Marshall

Normally you wait 24 hours for the sulfites to do their magic and then
disappate. I can't imagine another 12 hours or so, being an issue.

Robert
--------------

Weez wrote:

> I went and did a stupid!! I was preparing for my wine making, I ordered malo
> lactic bacteria, went and got my grapes, had them crushed, added my pectic
> enzyme and sulphite. Then I figured I would go check on the yeasts I have in
> my fridge and aaaaahhhhhhh!
> I don't have ANY!!
> I should be adding it tomorrow afternoon but it's labour day tomorrow and
> nobody's open. Will it wait til Tuesday?
> Louise P

Robert Marshall

Weez wrote:

> I went and did a stupid!! I was preparing for my wine making, I ordered malo
> lactic bacteria, went and got my grapes, had them crushed, added my pectic
> enzyme and sulphite. Then I figured I would go check on the yeasts I have in
> my fridge and aaaaahhhhhhh!
> I don't have ANY!!
> I should be adding it tomorrow afternoon but it's labour day tomorrow and
> nobody's open. Will it wait til Tuesday?
> Louise P

Robert Marshall

Weez wrote:

> I went and did a stupid!! I was preparing for my wine making, I ordered malo
> lactic bacteria, went and got my grapes, had them crushed, added my pectic
> enzyme and sulphite. Then I figured I would go check on the yeasts I have in
> my fridge and aaaaahhhhhhh!
> I don't have ANY!!
> I should be adding it tomorrow afternoon but it's labour day tomorrow and
> nobody's open. Will it wait til Tuesday?
> Louise P

Weez

More like 24hrs. but I guess since you're not worried about 12 hours, 24
won't too much worse! Thanks!
Louise)

"Robert Marshall" > wrote in message
nk.net...
> Normally you wait 24 hours for the sulfites to do their magic and then
> disappate. I can't imagine another 12 hours or so, being an issue.
>
> Robert
> --------------
>
> Weez wrote:
>
> > I went and did a stupid!! I was preparing for my wine making, I ordered

malo
> > lactic bacteria, went and got my grapes, had them crushed, added my

pectic
> > enzyme and sulphite. Then I figured I would go check on the yeasts I

have in
> > my fridge and aaaaahhhhhhh!
> > I don't have ANY!!
> > I should be adding it tomorrow afternoon but it's labour day tomorrow

and
> > nobody's open. Will it wait til Tuesday?
> > Louise P

Weez

More like 24hrs. but I guess since you're not worried about 12 hours, 24
won't too much worse! Thanks!
Louise)

"Robert Marshall" > wrote in message
nk.net...
> Normally you wait 24 hours for the sulfites to do their magic and then
> disappate. I can't imagine another 12 hours or so, being an issue.
>
> Robert
> --------------
>
> Weez wrote:
>
> > I went and did a stupid!! I was preparing for my wine making, I ordered

malo
> > lactic bacteria, went and got my grapes, had them crushed, added my

pectic
> > enzyme and sulphite. Then I figured I would go check on the yeasts I

have in
> > my fridge and aaaaahhhhhhh!
> > I don't have ANY!!
> > I should be adding it tomorrow afternoon but it's labour day tomorrow

and
> > nobody's open. Will it wait til Tuesday?
> > Louise P

Robert Marshall

And once you get the yeast in don't forget to punch down the cap when it
forms. That'll give you more extraction of color as well.

Robert
----------------------
Jon Gilliam wrote:
> Sure they will wait. Keep the must cool .. take some zip-lock bags, sanitize
> them, fill them with ice, and suspend them in the must. Plastic milk jugs or
> 2-liter soda bottles work well also, but you have to have them filled and
> frozen in advance and have additional ones you can freeze to exchange out.
> Try to keep the must at 50 degrees F or below if you can. Of course keep it
> covered so that no bugs can get in.
>
> If you're making a red wine, what you're doing is a "cold soak." This is a
> method often used to extract color and fruity flavors/aromas from the skins
> without extracting too much tannin (tannin becomes soluable only when
> there's alcohol present during the fermentation).
>
> In fact, you may want to continue your cold soak for a couple more days,
> since you've begun. Then pitch your yeast, and do a shortened
> fermentation -- say 3 days or until you hit zero Brix on the hydrometer.
>
> Jon
>
> "Weez" > wrote in message
>
>>I went and did a stupid!! I was preparing for my wine making, I ordered
>>malo
>>lactic bacteria, went and got my grapes, had them crushed, added my pectic
>>enzyme and sulphite. Then I figured I would go check on the yeasts I have
>>in
>>my fridge and aaaaahhhhhhh!
>>I don't have ANY!!
>>I should be adding it tomorrow afternoon but it's labour day tomorrow and
>>nobody's open. Will it wait til Tuesday?
>>Louise P

Rus

Jon,
Just a question, why would you do a shortened fermentation after the cold soak?
Thanks,
Rus

"Jon Gilliam" > wrote in message >...
> In fact, you may want to continue your cold soak for a couple more days,
> since you've begun. Then pitch your yeast, and do a shortened
> fermentation -- say 3 days or until you hit zero Brix on the hydrometer.
>
> Jon
>
> "Weez" > wrote in message
> >I went and did a stupid!! I was preparing for my wine making, I ordered
> >malo
> > lactic bacteria, went and got my grapes, had them crushed, added my pectic
> > enzyme and sulphite. Then I figured I would go check on the yeasts I have
> > in
> > my fridge and aaaaahhhhhhh!
> > I don't have ANY!!
> > I should be adding it tomorrow afternoon but it's labour day tomorrow and
> > nobody's open. Will it wait til Tuesday?
> > Louise P

Rus

Jon,
Just a question, why would you do a shortened fermentation after the cold soak?
Thanks,
Rus

"Jon Gilliam" > wrote in message >...
> In fact, you may want to continue your cold soak for a couple more days,
> since you've begun. Then pitch your yeast, and do a shortened
> fermentation -- say 3 days or until you hit zero Brix on the hydrometer.
>
> Jon
>
> "Weez" > wrote in message
> >I went and did a stupid!! I was preparing for my wine making, I ordered
> >malo
> > lactic bacteria, went and got my grapes, had them crushed, added my pectic
> > enzyme and sulphite. Then I figured I would go check on the yeasts I have
> > in
> > my fridge and aaaaahhhhhhh!
> > I don't have ANY!!
> > I should be adding it tomorrow afternoon but it's labour day tomorrow and
> > nobody's open. Will it wait til Tuesday?
> > Louise P

Emergency food el pie de Onate Barbecue 0 14-11-2015 04:09 AM
REC Emergency Pizza CC General Cooking 0 14-03-2009 04:47 AM
Sherry EMERGENCY!! Goomba38 General Cooking 34 22-12-2005 10:52 PM
Emergency Food/Wine pairing Dick R. Wine 12 01-07-2004 03:12 AM