Ann Durham

Default Newbie - crab apple wine... HELP!!

Hi and let me thank everyone in advance who could offer any help on this
subject. I have my first two gallons of wine cooking, they are apple and
crab apple wines respectively. I am following the recipes I found in Terry
Garey's 'the Joy of Home Winemaking' book. They were both started on
8/21/04, the apple is 8 pounds of shredded (tart) apple and the crab is 4
pounds of shredded crab apples. Then into each: 2 pounds sugar, 1 crushed
Camden, 1 tsp yeast nutrient, 1/4 tsp tannin(wait 12 hours), 1/2 tsp pectic
enzyme. After 24 more hours I added the pitchable liquid champagne wine
yeast WLP715 on 8/23/04 1/2 of the bottle into each of the primaries. Apple
PA 10 SG 1.075. Crab PA 12 SG 1.084.

Here's the question, today when I came home from work (8/25/04 5:30 ish),
the apple is going like mad and the crab is still just sitting still. I've
been stirring each mess 3x daily. Just took the SG of the crab again and it
is 1.090 (but it is warmer tonight). So why is one working when it's
neighbor is sitting idly by? Any thoughts???

rick Cole

just be patience, sometimes it takes longer for some batches then
others, I had an Apricot batch that didn't start till the third day to
really start working. the fact that you can tell that it is warmer is
a good sign though.

and this is a great place to get advice ,from some very helpful
people.

glad heart

Ann,

The crabapple/apple wine I made a year ago took 2 weeks to fire up. I
think I had too much sulfite in the must (when cleaning and cutting
the apples I dipped them in a sulfite solution to keep them from
browning before freezing them). Finally clueing into the problem, I
aerated the must (stirred it like crazy) for awhile. I even needed to
dilute the must with water (about 10%). After pitching the 3rd or 4th
packet of yeast over that 2 week period it finally started. Also, you
might want to use a little more pectic enzyme than the typical recipe
calls for. I had haze problems that were a pain to clarify. All said
and done, it's turned out very nice - ready for bottling. Hope this
helps.

Jim

Ann Durham

Thanks for the advice. I pitched a second round of yeast into the crab
apple and it took off within 12 hours!!! I have really enjoyed this group
and am reading daily (and learning lots!!!).

Racked for my first time on the apple. Anyone have any idea's if I can put
the left overs on my compost pile?

"Ann Durham" > wrote in message
> Hi and let me thank everyone in advance who could offer any help on this
> subject. I have my first two gallons of wine cooking, they are apple and
> crab apple wines respectively. I am following the recipes I found in

Terry
> Garey's 'the Joy of Home Winemaking' book. They were both started on
> 8/21/04, the apple is 8 pounds of shredded (tart) apple and the crab is 4
> pounds of shredded crab apples. Then into each: 2 pounds sugar, 1 crushed
> Camden, 1 tsp yeast nutrient, 1/4 tsp tannin(wait 12 hours), 1/2 tsp

pectic
> enzyme. After 24 more hours I added the pitchable liquid champagne wine
> yeast WLP715 on 8/23/04 1/2 of the bottle into each of the primaries.

Apple
> PA 10 SG 1.075. Crab PA 12 SG 1.084.
>
> Here's the question, today when I came home from work (8/25/04 5:30 ish),
> the apple is going like mad and the crab is still just sitting still.

I've
> been stirring each mess 3x daily. Just took the SG of the crab again and

it
> is 1.090 (but it is warmer tonight). So why is one working when it's
> neighbor is sitting idly by? Any thoughts???

Ann Durham

"Ann Durham" > wrote in message
> Hi and let me thank everyone in advance who could offer any help on this
> subject. I have my first two gallons of wine cooking, they are apple and
> crab apple wines respectively. I am following the recipes I found in

Terry
> Garey's 'the Joy of Home Winemaking' book. They were both started on
> 8/21/04, the apple is 8 pounds of shredded (tart) apple and the crab is 4
> pounds of shredded crab apples. Then into each: 2 pounds sugar, 1 crushed
> Camden, 1 tsp yeast nutrient, 1/4 tsp tannin(wait 12 hours), 1/2 tsp

pectic
> enzyme. After 24 more hours I added the pitchable liquid champagne wine
> yeast WLP715 on 8/23/04 1/2 of the bottle into each of the primaries.

Apple
> PA 10 SG 1.075. Crab PA 12 SG 1.084.
>
> Here's the question, today when I came home from work (8/25/04 5:30 ish),
> the apple is going like mad and the crab is still just sitting still.

I've
> been stirring each mess 3x daily. Just took the SG of the crab again and

it
> is 1.090 (but it is warmer tonight). So why is one working when it's
> neighbor is sitting idly by? Any thoughts???

Jack Keller

Ann, by all means compost the pulp.

As for the difference in yeast activity, it is possible that you did
not stir (shake) the pitchable yeast sufficiently before inoculation
and most of the yeast went into the apple and very little went into
the crabapple. Just a possibility....

Jack Keller, The Winemaking Home Page
http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/

Crab apple? Steve Calvin Barbecue 26 20-09-2008 11:56 PM
crab apple wine Mark Winemaking 0 16-08-2004 07:14 PM
crab apple wine Joe Winemaking 1 16-08-2004 07:14 PM
crab vs. regular apple Thalocean2 Barbecue 4 19-01-2004 02:54 PM
Crab apple pickles? zxcvbob Preserving 13 11-11-2003 07:54 PM