Zipadee Doodar

Default plastic fermenting container

I am returning to wine-making after 25 years or so (retirement beckons) and
before I leave work, I have the chance of obtaining many plastic water
dispenser containers, about 20 litre capacity. When I used to make wine many
years ago, plastic was frowned on as a fermenter, mainly I recall because
they were supposed to allow the ingress of oxygen. Is this still the case,
or is it worth claiming a supply of these containers for the future? The
only obvious problem I can see is that the ribbed sides may tend to gather
some sediment which would be re-dispersed during racking

Looking forward to an extensive cellar again.

ZD

Alfonse

Hi,
Plastic is perfectly fine as long as its food grade. I use it for primary
and short term fermenting. Anything past 5 or 6 months I would recommend
glass or stainless steel. Plastic is better because it is lighter and
doesn't break easily and cheaper. They do stain sometimes, but you can
either sani-brew clean them or replace them.

Al

"Zipadee Doodar" > wrote in message
.uk...
> I am returning to wine-making after 25 years or so (retirement beckons)

and
> before I leave work, I have the chance of obtaining many plastic water
> dispenser containers, about 20 litre capacity. When I used to make wine

many
> years ago, plastic was frowned on as a fermenter, mainly I recall because
> they were supposed to allow the ingress of oxygen. Is this still the case,
> or is it worth claiming a supply of these containers for the future? The
> only obvious problem I can see is that the ribbed sides may tend to gather
> some sediment which would be re-dispersed during racking
>
> Looking forward to an extensive cellar again.
>
> ZD

Alfonse

Hi,
Plastic is perfectly fine as long as its food grade. I use it for primary
and short term fermenting. Anything past 5 or 6 months I would recommend
glass or stainless steel. Plastic is better because it is lighter and
doesn't break easily and cheaper. They do stain sometimes, but you can
either sani-brew clean them or replace them.

Al

"Zipadee Doodar" > wrote in message
.uk...
> I am returning to wine-making after 25 years or so (retirement beckons)

and
> before I leave work, I have the chance of obtaining many plastic water
> dispenser containers, about 20 litre capacity. When I used to make wine

many
> years ago, plastic was frowned on as a fermenter, mainly I recall because
> they were supposed to allow the ingress of oxygen. Is this still the case,
> or is it worth claiming a supply of these containers for the future? The
> only obvious problem I can see is that the ribbed sides may tend to gather
> some sediment which would be re-dispersed during racking
>
> Looking forward to an extensive cellar again.
>
> ZD

Ray

If they are food grade and rated to withstand acidity and alcohol for long
periods they may work fine.

I would worry about reusing them though. I don't use them.

Ray

"Zipadee Doodar" > wrote in message
.uk...
> I am returning to wine-making after 25 years or so (retirement beckons)

and
> before I leave work, I have the chance of obtaining many plastic water
> dispenser containers, about 20 litre capacity. When I used to make wine

many
> years ago, plastic was frowned on as a fermenter, mainly I recall because
> they were supposed to allow the ingress of oxygen. Is this still the case,
> or is it worth claiming a supply of these containers for the future? The
> only obvious problem I can see is that the ribbed sides may tend to gather
> some sediment which would be re-dispersed during racking
>
> Looking forward to an extensive cellar again.
>
> ZD

Ray