Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Pickles in a plastic container

All the posts here about making pickles has me thinking I'd like to give
it a try. I love all kinds of pickles and would love to be able to make
some for myself.

Can/should I make a batch in plastic containers? I've got a couple of
32oz sturdy plastic "jars" made by Ball that I use for left-overs. They
are spill proof with tops that have threads on the inside of the jar for
the screw top.

Suitable for making pickles or do I need glass jars?

--
DreadfulBitch

I intend to live forever....so far, so good.
......Steven Wright
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/19/2014 6:16 PM, DreadfulBitch wrote:
> All the posts here about making pickles has me thinking I'd like to give
> it a try. I love all kinds of pickles and would love to be able to make
> some for myself.
>
> Can/should I make a batch in plastic containers? I've got a couple of
> 32oz sturdy plastic "jars" made by Ball that I use for left-overs. They
> are spill proof with tops that have threads on the inside of the jar for
> the screw top.
>
> Suitable for making pickles or do I need glass jars?

I've made them in gallon plastic jars with screw lids.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 19 Jan 2014 18:16:55 -0600, DreadfulBitch wrote:
>
>> All the posts here about making pickles has me thinking I'd like to give
>> it a try. I love all kinds of pickles and would love to be able to make
>> some for myself.
>>
>> Can/should I make a batch in plastic containers? I've got a couple of
>> 32oz sturdy plastic "jars" made by Ball that I use for left-overs. They
>> are spill proof with tops that have threads on the inside of the jar for
>> the screw top.
>>
>> Suitable for making pickles or do I need glass jars?

> We've been discussing a lot of pickling in that "other" RFC group
> lately. It's best to use glass jars with plastic lids, preferably
> with a gasket inside the lid.
>
> You should not use plastic containers that have held other
> "leftovers". The plastic has been compromised. You can use fresh
> plastic containers, but they're still not ideal.
>
> I made a couple kimchis a day or two ago. Currently sitting in my
> wine fridge at 60F. I'm using metal lids (a No-No) but I have plastic
> gaskets inside and plungers holding down the product so it does not
> rise above the neck.
>
> If you look closely, you can see the mesh plungers on top of the
> veggies. they keep the product submerged.
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/sqwertz...9645/lightbox/

What is kimchi?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-01-19 7:16 PM, DreadfulBitch wrote:
> All the posts here about making pickles has me thinking I'd like to give
> it a try. I love all kinds of pickles and would love to be able to make
> some for myself.
>
> Can/should I make a batch in plastic containers? I've got a couple of
> 32oz sturdy plastic "jars" made by Ball that I use for left-overs. They
> are spill proof with tops that have threads on the inside of the jar for
> the screw top.
>
> Suitable for making pickles or do I need glass jars?

Dislaimer... I only tried making dill pickles once and they were a
disaster. However, I see no reason why plastic could not work. Last
year the woman who runs the corner bakery cafe ordered a bucket of dill
pickles for me. They came in a plastic bucket, and they were were best
dills I ever ate. I would get then again but there is no room in my
fridge for a bucket like that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 20 Jan 2014 11:33:46 -0000, Ophelia wrote:
>
>> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>>
>>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/sqwertz...9645/lightbox/

>> What is kimchi?

> http://lmgtfy.com/?q=kimchi

I would say thank you if that were not so rude. What is the point in being
in a food group and telling people to Google everything. No point in being
here.

I was interested in what you had in your jars but I won't bother again.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
DreadfulBitch > wrote:

> All the posts here about making pickles has me thinking I'd like to give
> it a try. I love all kinds of pickles and would love to be able to make
> some for myself.
>
> Can/should I make a batch in plastic containers? I've got a couple of
> 32oz sturdy plastic "jars" made by Ball that I use for left-overs. They
> are spill proof with tops that have threads on the inside of the jar for
> the screw top.
>
> Suitable for making pickles or do I need glass jars?

Food grade plastic bucket should work fine.
--
Barb,
http://www.barbschaller.com, as of April 8, 2013.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Ophelia" > wrote:

> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message

> > http://www.flickr.com/photos/sqwertz...9645/lightbox/

> What is kimchi?

Asian (I know it as Korean) fermented cabbage and/or, apparently, other
vegetables. Here's more than you probably want to know:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kimchi
--
Barb,
http://www.barbschaller.com, as of April 8, 2013.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Ophelia" > wrote:
>
>> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message

>> > http://www.flickr.com/photos/sqwertz...9645/lightbox/

>> What is kimchi?

> Asian (I know it as Korean) fermented cabbage and/or, apparently, other
> vegetables. Here's more than you probably want to know:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kimchi

Thanks very much, Barb That was most kind. I was curious about the stuff
in sw's jars. Do you ever make it?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Ophelia" > wrote:

> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> > In article >,

> >> What is kimchi?

> > Asian (I know it as Korean) fermented cabbage and/or, apparently, other
> > vegetables. Here's more than you probably want to know:
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kimchi

> Thanks very much, Barb That was most kind. I was curious about the stuff
> in sw's jars. Do you ever make it?

I do not. When I make pickles, I do a fresh pack rather than fermenting
them. I'm okay with kimchi ‹ and have a nice Korean restaurant about 7
miles away if I ever have the urge, which I do not. '-)

--
Barb,
http://www.barbschaller.com, as of April 8, 2013.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 19 Jan 2014 22:46:23 -0600, Sqwertz wrote:

> If you look closely, you can see the mesh plungers on top of the
> veggies.

Dwarf IUD?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 20 Jan 2014 10:04:36 -0600, Sqwertz wrote:

> But if making the salt-fermented kind, always use fresh plastic or
> clean glass.

Dip yer needle dick in, dwarf.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message

> I kinda got bothered when you asked me for the recipe for scrapple
> and I spent about 45 minutes typing out the method and directions for
> you. Then 3 months later you asked me for it again as if you've enver
> heard of it. Which indicated to me that you really weren't that
> interested in the recipe in the first place and I wasted 45 minutes of
> my time.

I was interested. I lost everything on that last computer.

>So no, I'm not going to write you a description of kimchi.

I didn't want a description of kimchi in general, I was just interested in
what was in the jars.

> You ask a lot of simple questions. You could find out a lot more
> about kimchi by reading a web page than I could ever be bothered to
> type since the topic is very broad. Why should I type it all out for
> the benefit of probably the only person here who doesn't know what
> kimchi is when there are thousands of excellent descriptions that can
> be read by millions on the web?

I am not sure why you think I should know what the people who live half a
world a way would know.

> Now if you were to ask me what surstromming was I might be inclined to
> type a short explanation for the benefit of the majority of people who
> probably don't know what it is. Then a link to specific web page.

No thank you.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 20 Jan 2014 13:00:34 -0600, Sqwertz wrote:

> You ask a lot of simple questions.

You prtetend to be a "criminal profiler".
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 20 Jan 2014 13:17:47 -0600, Sqwertz wrote:

> Happy now? ;-)

Not until you leave.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Ophelia" > wrote:
>
>> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message

>> > Asian (I know it as Korean) fermented cabbage and/or, apparently, other
>> > vegetables. Here's more than you probably want to know:
>> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kimchi

>> Thanks very much, Barb That was most kind. I was curious about the
>> stuff
>> in sw's jars. Do you ever make it?

> I do not. When I make pickles, I do a fresh pack rather than fermenting
> them. I'm okay with kimchi < and have a nice Korean restaurant about 7
> miles away if I ever have the urge, which I do not. '-)

The only things I pickle are onions and eggs I am always interested in
what others pickle which is why I ask questions but the stuff I see here are
either stuff I've never heard of or couldn't find, or too spicy

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/20/2014 10:04 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sun, 19 Jan 2014 22:46:23 -0600, Sqwertz wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 19 Jan 2014 18:16:55 -0600, DreadfulBitch wrote:
>>
>>> All the posts here about making pickles has me thinking I'd like to give
>>> it a try. I love all kinds of pickles and would love to be able to make
>>> some for myself.
>>>
>>> Can/should I make a batch in plastic containers? I've got a couple of
>>> 32oz sturdy plastic "jars" made by Ball that I use for left-overs. They
>>> are spill proof with tops that have threads on the inside of the jar for
>>> the screw top.
>>>
>>> Suitable for making pickles or do I need glass jars?

>> You should not use plastic containers that have held other
>> "leftovers". The plastic has been compromised. You can use fresh
>> plastic containers, but they're still not ideal.

> I was assuming you were making the fermented kind of pickles. If
> you're making a vinegar based pickle, then use whatever kind of
> container you want (except metal). The vinegar will overpower any
> flavors impregnated in the plastic.
>
> But if making the salt-fermented kind, always use fresh plastic or
> clean glass.
>
> -sw

The plastic jars I use have held nothing but pickles.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Ping SW (Pickles in a plastic container)

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

I didn't know you had spent 45 minutes typing that out for me and I feel
dreadful( I hadn't done my backups when that computer died( I feel
really bad and I am sorry. I had forgotten I'd had it when I asked you for
it again, probably because I hadn't seen it for a long time

Please accept my sincere apologies for that and I don't blame you for
feeling aggrieved.

Best

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 20 Jan 2014 14:36:42 -0600, Sqwertz wrote:

> This is apparently some sort of solid state
> conductor (non-mechanical) that can both create heat or cool.

Magical dwarf conditioner...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 20 Jan 2014 19:43:12 -0000, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

>"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
>> In article >,

>>> Thanks very much, Barb That was most kind. I was curious about the
>>> stuff
>>> in sw's jars. Do you ever make it?

>> I do not. When I make pickles, I do a fresh pack rather than fermenting
>> them. I'm okay with kimchi < and have a nice Korean restaurant about 7
>> miles away if I ever have the urge, which I do not. '-)

>The only things I pickle are onions and eggs

So you sleep alone! LOL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 20 Jan 2014 19:43:12 -0000, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message

>>> I do not. When I make pickles, I do a fresh pack rather than fermenting
>>> them. I'm okay with kimchi < and have a nice Korean restaurant about 7
>>> miles away if I ever have the urge, which I do not. '-)

>>The only things I pickle are onions and eggs

> So you sleep alone! LOL

Certainly not! I said I pickle onions and eggs.... NOT eat them all the
time ;p

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 20 Jan 2014 11:33:46 -0000, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

>"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>> On Sun, 19 Jan 2014 18:16:55 -0600, DreadfulBitch wrote:
>>
>>> All the posts here about making pickles has me thinking I'd like to give
>>> it a try. I love all kinds of pickles and would love to be able to make
>>> some for myself.
>>>
>>> Can/should I make a batch in plastic containers? I've got a couple of
>>> 32oz sturdy plastic "jars" made by Ball that I use for left-overs. They
>>> are spill proof with tops that have threads on the inside of the jar for
>>> the screw top.
>>>
>>> Suitable for making pickles or do I need glass jars?

>> We've been discussing a lot of pickling in that "other" RFC group
>> lately. It's best to use glass jars with plastic lids, preferably
>> with a gasket inside the lid.
>>
>> You should not use plastic containers that have held other
>> "leftovers". The plastic has been compromised. You can use fresh
>> plastic containers, but they're still not ideal.
>>
>> I made a couple kimchis a day or two ago. Currently sitting in my
>> wine fridge at 60F. I'm using metal lids (a No-No) but I have plastic
>> gaskets inside and plungers holding down the product so it does not
>> rise above the neck.
>>
>> If you look closely, you can see the mesh plungers on top of the
>> veggies. they keep the product submerged.
>>
>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/sqwertz...9645/lightbox/

>What is kimchi?

Here's how I make kimchi. It's a Korean dish of spicy fermented
cabbage.
http://www.kokoscornerblog.com/mycor...hi-heaven.html

or
http://tinyurl.com/8bzbevc

I love the stuff. It will sure clear your sinuses ;-)

koko
James Beard

www.kokoscornerblog.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message

>>What is kimchi?

> Here's how I make kimchi. It's a Korean dish of spicy fermented
> cabbage.
> http://www.kokoscornerblog.com/mycor...hi-heaven.html
>
> or
> http://tinyurl.com/8bzbevc
>
> I love the stuff. It will sure clear your sinuses ;-)

lol it looks wonderful but then you always photograph your recipes so well

Thank you I can't take spicy stuff and I take your word for ' It will
sure clear your sinuses' )))

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/