Joe

Default Potassium Sorbate

Is potassium sorbate the same as stabilizing tablets?

Thanks,
Joe

Stephen SG

STABILIZER (YEAST INHIBITOR) PREVENTS RENEWED FERMENTATION IN A
CLEAR STABLE, WINE

"Joe" > wrote in message
| Is potassium sorbate the same as stabilizing tablets?
|
| Thanks,
| Joe

Greg Cook

On 4/3/04 3:17 AM, in article , "Stephen
SG" > wrote:

> STABILIZER (YEAST INHIBITOR) PREVENTS RENEWED FERMENTATION IN A
> CLEAR STABLE, WINE
>

> "Joe" > wrote in message
> | Is potassium sorbate the same as stabilizing tablets?
> |
> | Thanks,
> | Joe

I believe it should be, but I don't have an ingredients list handy. I wonder
if they add anything else to these Stabilizer tablets in addition to
sorbate? Like sulfite also? I have no idea.
--
Greg Cook
http://homepage.mac.com/gregcook/Wine

(remove spamblocker from my email)

Stephen SG

potassium sorbate is registered as a E202

But should not be used in ML-fermented wines

Stephen

"Greg Cook" > wrote in message
s.com...
| On 4/3/04 3:17 AM, in article , "Stephen
| SG" > wrote:
|
| > STABILIZER (YEAST INHIBITOR) PREVENTS RENEWED FERMENTATION IN A
| > CLEAR STABLE, WINE
| >

| > "Joe" > wrote in message
| > | Is potassium sorbate the same as stabilizing tablets?
| > |
| > | Thanks,
| > | Joe
|

| I believe it should be, but I don't have an ingredients list handy. I
wonder
| if they add anything else to these Stabilizer tablets in addition to
| sorbate? Like sulfite also? I have no idea.
| --
| Greg Cook
| http://homepage.mac.com/gregcook/Wine
|
| (remove spamblocker from my email)

Stephen SG

POTASSIUM SORBATE: Sold as white elongated pellets, this chemical prevents
yeast reproduction, thus preventing renewed fermentation. I have seen it
listed as an ingredient on many grocery items in your refrigerator from
apple juice to taco sauce. It is used by the winemaker when sweetening a
wine after it has stopped working, or to stop a fermentation before a wine
becomes too dry
potassium sorbate is registered as a E202

But should not be used in ML-fermented wines

Stephen

| "Greg Cook" > wrote in message
| s.com...
| | On 4/3/04 3:17 AM, in article , "Stephen
| | SG" > wrote:
| |
| | > STABILIZER (YEAST INHIBITOR) PREVENTS RENEWED FERMENTATION IN
| | > CLEAR STABLE, WINE

| | > |
| |
| |
| | I believe it should be, but I don't have an ingredients list handy. I
| wonder
| | if they add anything else to these Stabilizer tablets in addition to
| | sorbate? Like sulfite also? I have no idea.
| | --
| | Greg Cook
| | http://homepage.mac.com/gregcook/Wine
| |
| | (remove spamblocker from my email)
| |

Don S

> Is potassium sorbate the same as stabilizing tablets?

It might not be. I could see stabilizing tablets being
Campden/potassium metabisulfite as well.

Don
frederick ploegman

If they are in tablet form, they may also be Sodium Benzoate.
It is used for the same purpose. HTH