Edward Slonaker

Default Taking wine into Canada

Has anyone had any experience going into Canada with your wines? We're
leaving in a couple of weeks, driving to British Columbia and we're taking
some bottles with us. I know we're each allowed two bottles before
taxation begins. My question is, "How much is the tax?" and "Is there a
limit on how much you can take?"

We'd like to take about 8 bottles with us but I can't find anywhere
how much, per bottle, the tax would be.

Joe Sallustio

I've never taken 8 bottles, but I think they have a bottle per day per
adult in the car limit. They have a border patrol website where you
could ask and the big crossings have phone numbers listed there.
I've always told them I had it and they always give me a funny look
and wave me in, I get help up as a worker all the time though.
Regards,
Joe

Edward Slonaker > wrote in message 57.130>...
> Has anyone had any experience going into Canada with your wines? We're
> leaving in a couple of weeks, driving to British Columbia and we're taking
> some bottles with us. I know we're each allowed two bottles before
> taxation begins. My question is, "How much is the tax?" and "Is there a
> limit on how much you can take?"
>
> We'd like to take about 8 bottles with us but I can't find anywhere
> how much, per bottle, the tax would be.

Insprucegrove

>leaving in a couple of weeks, driving to British Columbia and we're taking
>some bottles with us. I know we're each allowed two bottles before
>taxation begins. My question is, "How much is the tax?" and "Is there a
>limit on how much you can take?

You might get some slack assuming it is homemade wine (perhaps tell them they
are gifts for people you are visiting). Otherwise you are only allowed 1.14
litres (about 40 oz) per adult.

Here is a "cut and paste" from a different province (Nova Scotia) about
importing wine to Canada. Note that this only addresses the provincial tax (and
I would assume BC would be about the same). On top of this there would be GST
7% and probably some small federal tax (alcholol is a provincial
responsibility) .
______
(From NOVA SCOTIA)
Customs and Duties

If you are of legal age and have been absent from Canada for at least 48
consecutive hours, you may import either 1.14 litres of wine, spirits, coolers
or 8.5 litres of beer free of Canadian import duties and Provincial charges. To
qualify for this exemption, the products must accompany you and must be
declared to Canada Customs at the time of your return.

Exceeding the Legal Allowance

As a visitor or returning residents you can also hand-carry an additional 9.1
litres without a permit, however the Canadian import duties, HST and the
provincial fee will be collected by Canada Customs immediately upon your
arrival in Nova Scotia.

The current Provincial Fees are calculated according to the following schedule:

Spirits/Sparkling Wine/Champagne
15¢/oz
or
$5.25 per litre

Still Wine/Fortified Wine
10¢/oz
or
$3.50 per litre

For example, a traveler importing two 1.14 litre (40 oz) bottles of spirits
would receive one bottle duty free and pay a provincial fee of $6.00 plus HST
of $0.90 on the second bottle.

>leaving in a couple of weeks, driving to British Columbia and we're taking
>some bottles with us. I know we're each allowed two bottles before
>taxation begins. My question is, "How much is the tax?" and "Is there a
>limit on how much you can take?"

Edwin Pawlowski

"Edward Slonaker" > wrote in message
7.130...
> Has anyone had any experience going into Canada with your wines? We're
> leaving in a couple of weeks, driving to British Columbia and we're taking
> some bottles with us. I know we're each allowed two bottles before
> taxation begins. My question is, "How much is the tax?" and "Is there a
> limit on how much you can take?"

I have no idea. I've never been asked, I've never had to open my car going
in. Only once coming out and that was right after 9/11. And I was four
bottles over the limit and prepared to pay US duty.

Typical border questions to:
Are you a US citizen?
Where were you born?
Where are you headed?
Enjoy your visit.

Typical border questions from: (must be at least 48 hours for the duty-free
stuff)
How long did you stay?
Are you a US citizen?

I bring wine from Canada to the US. I tell them what I have if asked and
they just wave me on. They are not so concerned about the couple of
bottles, but the big volume operations to cheat taxes. Not worth the hassle
of lying to save five bucks though.
Ed

Ray

I took 4 bottles into Calgary several years ago. Flew in. I declared them
as homemade wine at $2 per bottle and they told me to forget it. Check if
you are uncomfortable but do not neglect to declare them.

Ray

"Edward Slonaker" > wrote in message
7.130...
> Has anyone had any experience going into Canada with your wines? We're
> leaving in a couple of weeks, driving to British Columbia and we're taking
> some bottles with us. I know we're each allowed two bottles before
> taxation begins. My question is, "How much is the tax?" and "Is there a
> limit on how much you can take?"
>
> We'd like to take about 8 bottles with us but I can't find anywhere
> how much, per bottle, the tax would be.

Richard Kovach

Edward Slonaker > wrote in message 57.130>...
> Has anyone had any experience going into Canada with your wines? We're
> leaving in a couple of weeks, driving to British Columbia and we're taking
> some bottles with us. I know we're each allowed two bottles before
> taxation begins. My question is, "How much is the tax?" and "Is there a
> limit on how much you can take?"
>
> We'd like to take about 8 bottles with us but I can't find anywhere
> how much, per bottle, the tax would be.

I would NOT tell them it is a gift for someone. One time when we were
living in Portland and going to Vancouver for a visit, the Customs
agent asked us whether the two bottles we had was a gift or for our
own use. He was kind enough to accept our immediate response of "what
difference does it make?" and share with us that if it was a gift we
would have to pay duty/taxes but if it was for our personal
consumption during the trip we would not. I don't know what the
limits are though.

Cheers,
Richard
Tim O'Connor

"Richard Kovach" > wrote in message
om...
: Edward Slonaker > wrote in message
57.130>...
: > Has anyone had any experience going into Canada with your wines? We're
: > leaving in a couple of weeks, driving to British Columbia and we're
taking
: > some bottles with us. I know we're each allowed two bottles before
: > taxation begins. My question is, "How much is the tax?" and "Is there a
: > limit on how much you can take?"
: >
: > We'd like to take about 8 bottles with us but I can't find anywhere
: > how much, per bottle, the tax would be.

I'm not sure if your original question has been answered but I can tell you
what my cost was about 10 years ago. The total duty (all taxes and duties)
came to approximately 97% the cost of the wine (so it just about doubled the
cost). That was for commercial wine. I think it may have changed because I
thought I had read recently that the cost was not as high as I remember.
You may want to ask this question on alt.food.wine as I'm sure it has come
up their before.

Nonetheless, if it is homemade wine, even 97% won't be that much money.
(Also, it will only be on the 4 bottles you have over the limit).
Tim