seb

Default Malo-lactic fermentation

Right now i'm preparing the next harvest, so i had choose my yeast,
nutrients, enzymes, but can't decide if i'm gonna made the malo
fermentation or not. I use California grapes wich are low in acid and
high in pH. I have two options :

1) Adding mainly tartaric acid ( and some malic ) to lower the pH and
add a malo-lactic bacteria and made the MLF

2) Adding just a little tartaric acid to be in a good workable range
and adding Lysosyme to inhibited the start of the MLF soon after the
fermentation

What do you think i should do ? And why ?

Thanks to help me decide,

Séb
A.V.A.Q.
John DeFiore

"seb" > wrote in message
om...
> Right now i'm preparing the next harvest, so i had choose my yeast,
> nutrients, enzymes, but can't decide if i'm gonna made the malo
> fermentation or not. I use California grapes wich are low in acid and
> high in pH. I have two options :
>
> 1) Adding mainly tartaric acid ( and some malic ) to lower the pH and
> add a malo-lactic bacteria and made the MLF
>
> 2) Adding just a little tartaric acid to be in a good workable range
> and adding Lysosyme to inhibited the start of the MLF soon after the
> fermentation
>
> What do you think i should do ? And why ?

Here's my opinion,

I think you should add tartaric only to adjust the PH to a reasonable
number. 3.5, or thereabouts. Then do malolactic fermentation and sulfite
according to the PH you end up with. The reason I suggest that is that
lysozyme activity declines with time and unless you can sterile filter you
won't know if your wine will be stable for a long time in the bottle if
malic acid remains.

Regards,

John

William Frazier

John DeFiore wrote "I think you should add tartaric only to adjust the PH
to a reasonable
number. 3.5, or thereabouts. Then do malolactic fermentation and sulfite
according to the PH you end up with. The reason I suggest that is that
lysozyme activity declines with time and unless you can sterile filter you
won't know if your wine will be stable for a long time in the bottle if
malic acid remains."

John (and others that know how to use lysozyme) - It's my understanding that
lysozyme works quickly and destroys the cell walls of malo-lactic bacteria.
I make a couple of white wines that I want to avoid ML fermentation in. I
also make red wines that I innoculate with ML culture so the cellar is full
of the ML bacteria floating around with everything else. If you get the
white wines into the bottle, after treatment with lysozyme, is there any
need to sterile filter? I guess the question is does lysozyme destroy ML
bacteria or only stun them.

Bill Frazier
Olathe, Kansas

seb

> John (and others that know how to use lysozyme) - It's my understanding that
> lysozyme works quickly and destroys the cell walls of malo-lactic bacteria.
> I make a couple of white wines that I want to avoid ML fermentation in. I
> also make red wines that I innoculate with ML culture so the cellar is full
> of the ML bacteria floating around with everything else. If you get the
> white wines into the bottle, after treatment with lysozyme, is there any
> need to sterile filter? I guess the question is does lysozyme destroy ML
> bacteria or only stun them.
>
> Bill Frazier
> Olathe, Kansas

From what I understand, lysozyme can do both depending on the ppm you
use and when you use them. Below 250ppm you will only stun them and
between 250 and 500ppm you will destroy the bacteria. You can use the
lysozyme after the primary and just before bottling. This is what i
found on Lallemand web site concerning the use of this enzyme ;

"At the end of alcohol fermentation to delay (or fully inhibit) the
onset of malolactic fermentation
Before bottling to avoid MLF in bottle "

The next Quote comes from Winemakers magazine ;

" Lysozyme is also used to delay or prevent malolactic fermentation,
an important consideration for some white wines. It also aids the
stability of wines that are bottled without filtration and could
therefore be subject to bacterial action in the bottle."
"Once primary fermentation is complete, malolactic activity can be
blocked with an addition of 250–500 ppm of lysozyme. This dosage will
also stop a malolactic fermentation in progress, resulting in a
partial malolactic conversion. For wines that received a small
lysozyme treatment at the crusher, inoculation with a malolactic
starter should work normally after the alcoholic fermentation has run
to completion."

Séb
John DeFiore

"seb" > wrote in message
om...
> > John (and others that know how to use lysozyme) - It's my understanding

that
> > lysozyme works quickly and destroys the cell walls of malo-lactic

bacteria.
> > I make a couple of white wines that I want to avoid ML fermentation in.

> > also make red wines that I innoculate with ML culture so the cellar is

full
> > of the ML bacteria floating around with everything else. If you get the
> > white wines into the bottle, after treatment with lysozyme, is there any
> > need to sterile filter? I guess the question is does lysozyme destroy

ML
> > bacteria or only stun them.
> >
> > Bill Frazier
> > Olathe, Kansas

> From what I understand, lysozyme can do both depending on the ppm you
> use and when you use them. Below 250ppm you will only stun them and
> between 250 and 500ppm you will destroy the bacteria. You can use the
> lysozyme after the primary and just before bottling. This is what i
> found on Lallemand web site concerning the use of this enzyme ;
>
> "At the end of alcohol fermentation to delay (or fully inhibit) the
> onset of malolactic fermentation
> Before bottling to avoid MLF in bottle "
>
> The next Quote comes from Winemakers magazine ;
>
> " Lysozyme is also used to delay or prevent malolactic fermentation,
> an important consideration for some white wines. It also aids the
> stability of wines that are bottled without filtration and could
> therefore be subject to bacterial action in the bottle."
> "Once primary fermentation is complete, malolactic activity can be
> blocked with an addition of 250-500 ppm of lysozyme. This dosage will
> also stop a malolactic fermentation in progress, resulting in a
> partial malolactic conversion. For wines that received a small
> lysozyme treatment at the crusher, inoculation with a malolactic
> starter should work normally after the alcoholic fermentation has run
> to completion."

That's all true, and you would probably be OK bottling with 250-500 ppm of
lysozyme. In fact, I use it routinely now even on wines that I'm fairly
sure are done with ML, just to be sure that they are stable. (It doesn't
seem to have any downside except price. Blind studies have shown very small
taste differences, but not in any objectionable direction.) The slight
worry is that there are some wild strains of malolactic spoilage bacteria
that are not very sensitive to lysozyme. Odds are you'd be OK and this is
just a theoretical concern. I usually choose to do ML because it's
(usually) not hard and it (usually) guarantees stability.

Regards,

John

Malo-Lactic fermentation Donald[_3_] Winemaking 8 06-01-2009 12:37 PM
Malo Lactic Blends Lou[_1_] Winemaking 5 22-05-2007 06:00 PM
Is this Malo-lactic? Hoss Winemaking 1 05-10-2005 06:57 AM
Acid & Malo sgbrix Winemaking 1 18-09-2004 08:31 AM
Perry Fermentation - natural yeasts and malo-latic fermentation norm Winemaking 1 30-04-2004 01:52 PM