LG1111

Default A question about "fizzy" wine

On occasion, I'll open a bottle of wine from a few years ago and it will be
fizzy. My question is this: Is this more likely the result of incomplete
alcohol fermentation or is it likely due to an MLF that occured in the bottle?

All of my wines are sulfited to the appropriate level. Often, if I just let
the wines breathe a bit after opening, the fizziness disappears completely, so
it hasn't enormously affected the taste of the wines. This occurs in both reds
and whites.

Asked another way, if you have an incomplete or stuck MLF, and then sulfite and
bottle, what's the chance that MLF will continue.

Lee
Tom S

"LG1111" > wrote in message
> On occasion, I'll open a bottle of wine from a few years ago and it will

be
> fizzy. My question is this: Is this more likely the result of incomplete
> alcohol fermentation or is it likely due to an MLF that occured in the

bottle?

> All of my wines are sulfited to the appropriate level. Often, if I just

let
> the wines breathe a bit after opening, the fizziness disappears

completely, so
> it hasn't enormously affected the taste of the wines. This occurs in both

reds
> and whites.
>
> Asked another way, if you have an incomplete or stuck MLF, and then

sulfite and
> bottle, what's the chance that MLF will continue.

Quite good, actually, and I suspect that's what you've been observing.

Tom S

Tom S

"LG1111" > wrote in message
> On occasion, I'll open a bottle of wine from a few years ago and it will

be
> fizzy. My question is this: Is this more likely the result of incomplete
> alcohol fermentation or is it likely due to an MLF that occured in the

bottle?

> All of my wines are sulfited to the appropriate level. Often, if I just

let
> the wines breathe a bit after opening, the fizziness disappears

completely, so
> it hasn't enormously affected the taste of the wines. This occurs in both

reds
> and whites.
>
> Asked another way, if you have an incomplete or stuck MLF, and then

sulfite and
> bottle, what's the chance that MLF will continue.

Quite good, actually, and I suspect that's what you've been observing.

Tom S

Fizzy wine that wasn't supposed to be! Jack[_4_] Winemaking 3 05-11-2007 03:55 PM
My wine smells fizzy. Is this bad? Igor Winemaking 2 29-12-2005 07:17 PM
Fizzy red wine ... RogerD Winemaking 6 12-04-2005 03:51 PM
Fizzy kit wine help R-D-C Winemaking 6 13-10-2004 07:40 PM
Fizzy,carbonated wine???? silverfox Winemaking 2 23-02-2004 11:14 PM