Lum

Default Grape Juices

"Nick Ruchalski" > wrote in message
> My local supplier does not stock any of the kits, or rather any new
> kits. They do have a few BK kits that have a lot of dust on them.
>
> They also have a large selection of 6 gallons pails of grape juice. I
> currently have a beaujolais in a carboy for 10 days and just picked up
> a red zinfandel today. The price is right and I don't have to pay the
> shipping for the BK kits.
>
> Both pails were fizzing pretty good when I opened them. An SG reading
> of around 1.025 for both. I added additional yeast anyways and things
> seem okay.
>
> Two questions:
>
> 1. Any special attention to these "pre-fermented" pails? I'd like to
> continue to purchase these, so are there any pitfalls I should know
> about?
>
> 2. I've looked on line a bit and haven't found too much in regards to
> juices and procedures/recipes. The best I've seen is a Regina site:
> http://www.reginagrapejuice.com/wine_making/#winemaking
> Not much detail there.
>
> Any recommends or pointers would seriously be appreciated.

Nick,

Red wines are made by fermenting the juice and the grape solids (pulp, skins
& seeds) together for several days. Materials are extracted from the
solids, and they contribute much to the general character of red wines.

Red colored wines with "white" wine characteristics often the result when
red juice is fermented without the solids. These wines can be quite
enjoyable, but they probably won't win many ribbons in red wine contests.

Good luck,
lum

Ralph

Who makes these juice pails? I'm interested in the same sort of thing
labeled Santa Clara.

Ralph

"Nick Ruchalski" > wrote in message
> My local supplier does not stock any of the kits, or rather any new
> kits. They do have a few BK kits that have a lot of dust on them.
>
> They also have a large selection of 6 gallons pails of grape juice. I
> currently have a beaujolais in a carboy for 10 days and just picked up
> a red zinfandel today. The price is right and I don't have to pay the
> shipping for the BK kits.
>
> Both pails were fizzing pretty good when I opened them. An SG reading
> of around 1.025 for both. I added additional yeast anyways and things
> seem okay.
>
> Two questions:
>
> 1. Any special attention to these "pre-fermented" pails? I'd like to
> continue to purchase these, so are there any pitfalls I should know
> about?
>
> 2. I've looked on line a bit and haven't found too much in regards to
> juices and procedures/recipes. The best I've seen is a Regina site:
> http://www.reginagrapejuice.com/wine_making/#winemaking
> Not much detail there.
>
> Any recommends or pointers would seriously be appreciated.

William Frazier

"Ralph" > wrote in message
> Who makes these juice pails? I'm interested in the same sort of thing
> labeled Santa Clara.

Ralph-I bought a Santa Clara C. Sauvignon last year. Good price. The wine
is not what you expect a C. Sauvignon to be. It doesn't have that tannic
astringency that I associate with this grape. It's a pretty good tasting
red wine though...probably will make good wine coolers this summer.

Bill Frazier
Olathe, Kansas

Ralph

That was about what I expected. I'm going to try one of the whites, it might
have a better chance since there's no issue with maceration on the skins
with a white. As you say, the price is definitly right.

I've got a Mosti Modiale Chard going now which looks very promising,
although it's just at the end of fementing. I'm interested to see how the
two compare, but it will take awhile for them to be drinkable.

Ralph

"William Frazier" > wrote in message
news

> "Ralph" > wrote in message
> > Who makes these juice pails? I'm interested in the same sort of thing
> > labeled Santa Clara.

> Ralph-I bought a Santa Clara C. Sauvignon last year. Good price. The
wine
> is not what you expect a C. Sauvignon to be. It doesn't have that tannic
> astringency that I associate with this grape. It's a pretty good tasting
> red wine though...probably will make good wine coolers this summer.
>
> Bill Frazier
> Olathe, Kansas

Patrick McDonald

Nick,
I would say that a white from juice would be nice, even great. As Lum said,
though, reds without skins is like apple pie without the cheese - no
squeeze. You really miss a lot. I've had Zins from folks who've made it with
only juice and it does not compare to the pull-process Zins I've done.

To give you an idea, I've vinted a Marechal Foch in NY without skins and a
year later made one with skins. Without oak (same treatment as the first),
the one done on skins is fantab compared to the former.

The root is that you miss way too much without the skins. I've seen wines
turn up mostly as rosés.

"Nick Ruchalski" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 13:04:18 -0500, "Ralph" > wrote:
>
> >Who makes these juice pails? I'm interested in the same sort of thing
> >labeled Santa Clara.
> >
> >Ralph

> They're processed by a M & R Company from Lodi CA. The main label on
> the pail is my wine making center - Corrado's.

Juices/Fat While Frying [email protected] General Cooking 1 30-05-2007 12:13 AM
Old Orchid Juices A. J. Rawls Winemaking 9 20-09-2006 01:29 AM
pan juices Teri General Cooking 33 04-03-2006 10:12 PM
Supermarket Juices R-D-C Winemaking 19 21-10-2004 11:04 PM
Fruit Juices news.verizon.net Winemaking 0 25-02-2004 11:49 PM