rabwild

Default trading wines with other wine makers

I am a fellow wine maker looking to start a wine trading club. I have
made 12 different batches of wines. I would like to send and recieve
different winers out maybe once a month or so. If you are interested
please e mail me at the follow address.

Ray

Besides laws governing shipping of wine, I believe it is illegal in the US
to trade homemade wine. You can only make it for personal consumption. You
can serve it at you own table but you cannot legally give it away. It may
be one of those laws that are ignored in general but if you start a formal
club based on it I think they will take a dim view of it.

Ray

(rabwild) wrote:
> >I am a fellow wine maker looking to start a wine trading club. I have
> >made 12 different batches of wines. I would like to send and recieve
> >different winers out maybe once a month or so. If you are interested
> >please e mail me at the follow address.
> >

> You might want to investigate what the laws are, regarding shipping

alcohol
> across state/provincial lines or national borders, before you take this

much
> farther.
>
> --
> Doug Miller (alphageek at milmac dot com)
>
> How come we choose from just two people to run for president and 50 for

Miss America?

Michael Brill

"Ray" > wrote in message .com>...
> Besides laws governing shipping of wine, I believe it is illegal in the US
> to trade homemade wine. You can only make it for personal consumption. You
> can serve it at you own table but you cannot legally give it away. It may
> be one of those laws that are ignored in general but if you start a formal
> club based on it I think they will take a dim view of it.

I often wondered about this. Can I assume that every home winemaking
competition is illegal?
Ray

Good question. I asked ATF about the other. I don't want to ask about this
one.

Ray

"Michael Brill" > wrote in message
om...
> "Ray" > wrote in message

.com>...
> > Besides laws governing shipping of wine, I believe it is illegal in the

US
> > to trade homemade wine. You can only make it for personal consumption.

You
> > can serve it at you own table but you cannot legally give it away. It

may
> > be one of those laws that are ignored in general but if you start a

formal
> > club based on it I think they will take a dim view of it.
> >

> I often wondered about this. Can I assume that every home winemaking
> competition is illegal?

ernie

Ray wrote:
> Good question. I asked ATF about the other. I don't want to ask about this
> one.
>
> Ray
>
> "Michael Brill" > wrote in message
> om...
>
>>"Ray" > wrote in message

> .com>...
>
>>>Besides laws governing shipping of wine, I believe it is illegal in the

> US
>
>>>to trade homemade wine. You can only make it for personal consumption.

> You
>
>>>can serve it at you own table but you cannot legally give it away. It

> may
>
>>>be one of those laws that are ignored in general but if you start a

> formal
>
>>>club based on it I think they will take a dim view of it.
>>>

>>I often wondered about this. Can I assume that every home winemaking
>>competition is illegal?

Actually, the regulations explicity allow you to enter competitions. The
complete regulations for winemaking, including home winemaking are at

http://www.atf.gov/regulations/27cfr24.htm

Section 24.75 says this:

(f) Removal. Wine produced under this section may be removed from
the premises where made for personal or family use including use at
organized affairs, exhibitions or competitions, such as home winemaker's
contests, tastings or judgings, but may not under any circumstances be
sold or offered for sale.

It doesn't say anything prohibiting the mailing of bottles to competitions.

Fred Williams

I think maybe this whole homemade wine thing falls pretty much under the
"Don't ask, don't tell." rules of proper government edicate. If you don't
go around poking the ATF in the eye with a sharp stick, they will pretty
much leave you alone. If nothing else, to avoid the inevitable bad PR the
big old ugly governemnt picking on the poor hapless home winemaker would
generate. Besides there's no real tax revenue to be gained by pestering the
average home winemaker.

Fred

"ernie" > wrote in message
> Ray wrote:
> > Good question. I asked ATF about the other. I don't want to ask about

this
> > one.
> >
> > Ray
> >
> > "Michael Brill" > wrote in message
> > om...
> >
> >>"Ray" > wrote in message

> > .com>...

> > US

> > You

> > may

> > formal

> >>I often wondered about this. Can I assume that every home winemaking
> >>competition is illegal?

> Actually, the regulations explicity allow you to enter competitions. The
> complete regulations for winemaking, including home winemaking are at
>

> http://www.atf.gov/regulations/27cfr24.htm
>
> Section 24.75 says this:
>
> (f) Removal. Wine produced under this section may be removed from
> the premises where made for personal or family use including use at
> organized affairs, exhibitions or competitions, such as home

winemaker's
> contests, tastings or judgings, but may not under any circumstances be
> sold or offered for sale.
>
> It doesn't say anything prohibiting the mailing of bottles to

competitions.

Online Stock Trading Investing Day Trading [email protected] Wine 0 24-07-2008 10:16 PM
sites for trading wines? Eric Reichenbach Wine 0 01-04-2004 08:24 PM
wine trading James K. Albert Jr. Winemaking 1 04-03-2004 05:44 PM
Wine trading?? Joe Winemaking 1 02-02-2004 09:23 PM
Wine trading?? Edwin Pawlowski Winemaking 1 31-01-2004 02:30 PM