Rich

Default Brewking white wine kits

I've tried Spagnols white wine kits with very little success. How are
the Brewking whites? Also, is the Luna Rossa a good red? Better than
a Cab?
Pinky

I have am just coming to the end of the secondary fermentation of my first
Selection Luna Rossa. so ask me in about a years time. I have had excellent
results with the Selection whites and did enjoy the Selection Murray River
Reserve which I aged for over a year in bulk. The last bottle was about 3
years old when I finished it off and was quite excellent. As a red wine
drinker may I say that the whites are always better (IMHO) than the reds. I
am bulk ageing my first Selection Estate Old Vine Zinfandel which I started
on 28 September which I shall not now disturb until September next when I
bottle it up.
It has been said many times before ( by me as well ) but in kits it is so
much well worth buying a kits at the higher end of the price range,
basically as high as you think you can afford.

Then age it for as long as you can but not less than 6 months. With kits
especially, the wines which are reputed to be ready for drinking in "28
days" are just not ready at all and even a month more of age will make an
appreciable improvement

In UK the basic "drink in one week kits" cost about £15- £18 for a 5
gallon ( imp) kit and are indeed pretty basic ( I am being polite). For
about £30+ you can get a very reasonable white wine kit, needing no sugar,
that will bulk age and be very pleasant to drink. Reds at that price I find
too "thin". The BK Selection kits kick in at about £50+ -- the whites slight
cheaper than the reds but as I said above I find the whites to be "better"
than the reds. In white I enjoy Sauvignon Blanc and Muscadet ( a UK
Beaverdale kit ) in particular I suppose 'cos there are so many
"chardonnays" out there. In reds I always buy the BK Limited Edition kits
when they come available here ( from about march in UK) and have had the
best results from that series. They are producing 3 reds this year.
I also have had good results from Montepulciano, Barolo and Rioja from
Selection International series.

Good wine making and drinking!

--
Trevor A Panther
In South Yorkshire, England
"Rich" > wrote in message
om...
> I've tried Spagnols white wine kits with very little success. How are
> the Brewking whites? Also, is the Luna Rossa a good red? Better than
> a Cab?

Don S

> I've tried Spagnols white wine kits with very little success. How are
> the Brewking whites? Also, is the Luna Rossa a good red? Better than
> a Cab?

I too have been unimpressed by Spagnols kits, a merlot that was
done by the book was terrible and a reisling that tastes more like
a chardonnay. I've heard good things about Brewking and my one kit
by them was OK or good depending on who tastes it. It was a red.

I personally have been using Kendall Ridge, both their standard
line and their Showcase, with good success. My Showcase Australian
Chardonnay done with Lavin D-47 was my best ever. I've also got
a B.C. Merlot just getting ready for bulk aging and I'm already
thinking that that one may change my mind about reds from kits.

A guy I work with who does alot of kits says he now sticks to
Cellar Classic. From what I've heard, I'd go with the Brewking
if you only have a choice between them and Spagnols. Also, a
kit store near where I work say they swear by Mosto Italiano
which comes in 6 gallon pails.

Don
Ed Marks

The first kit I did was a Brew King Selection Chardonnay/Semillon. It
produced a nice, simple wine that I've enjoyed drinking (aged 1 year before
bottling). I started an Okanagan Chardonnay of theirs this past July, and
am very pleased with how it's coming along - I think it will end up being a
fairly full bodied wine. Their Reisling Ice Wine is also very good - I've
gotten great comments on it, even from fairly experienced wine drinkers.

I haven't tried the Luna Rossa, but a very happy with the Lodi Old Vine
Zinfandel - at 18 months of age it's still getting better, and has good Zin
character and doesn't just taste like a generic red.

Hope that helps,

Ed

"Rich" > wrote in message
om...
> I've tried Spagnols white wine kits with very little success. How are
> the Brewking whites? Also, is the Luna Rossa a good red? Better than
> a Cab?

Willie

Default Brewking wine kits

Pinky,

You seem to have exellent results with wine kits. I am a beginner and
started two Brew King kits and one Spagnols (all < 3 months). I
noticed quite a difference in the instructions.

I read in another post you made that you suggest to follow every
instruction and, with experience, change things a little.

My question: Can we (the beginners), benefit from your experience and
have a suggested methode to follow? Like throwing away the bentonite
or not, the sorbate, or after how much time shall we stabilize?

I would like to start another kit and let it age VERY long. Any
suggestions on what modifications I can make on the instructions?

Thanks

"Pinky" > wrote in message >...
> I have am just coming to the end of the secondary fermentation of my first
> Selection Luna Rossa. so ask me in about a years time. I have had excellent
> results with the Selection whites and did enjoy the Selection Murray River
> Reserve which I aged for over a year in bulk. The last bottle was about 3
> years old when I finished it off and was quite excellent. As a red wine
> drinker may I say that the whites are always better (IMHO) than the reds. I
> am bulk ageing my first Selection Estate Old Vine Zinfandel which I started
> on 28 September which I shall not now disturb until September next when I
> bottle it up.
> It has been said many times before ( by me as well ) but in kits it is so
> much well worth buying a kits at the higher end of the price range,
> basically as high as you think you can afford.
>
> Then age it for as long as you can but not less than 6 months. With kits
> especially, the wines which are reputed to be ready for drinking in "28
> days" are just not ready at all and even a month more of age will make an
> appreciable improvement
>
> In UK the basic "drink in one week kits" cost about £15- £18 for a 5
> gallon ( imp) kit and are indeed pretty basic ( I am being polite). For
> about £30+ you can get a very reasonable white wine kit, needing no sugar,
> that will bulk age and be very pleasant to drink. Reds at that price I find
> too "thin". The BK Selection kits kick in at about £50+ -- the whites slight
> cheaper than the reds but as I said above I find the whites to be "better"
> than the reds. In white I enjoy Sauvignon Blanc and Muscadet ( a UK
> Beaverdale kit ) in particular I suppose 'cos there are so many
> "chardonnays" out there. In reds I always buy the BK Limited Edition kits
> when they come available here ( from about march in UK) and have had the
> best results from that series. They are producing 3 reds this year.
> I also have had good results from Montepulciano, Barolo and Rioja from
> Selection International series.
>
> Good wine making and drinking!
>
> --
> Trevor A Panther
> In South Yorkshire, England
> Remove "SPAMLESS" from my address line to reply.
> All outgoing mail is scanned by Norton
> Anti Virus for your protection too!
> "Rich" > wrote in message
> om...
> > I've tried Spagnols white wine kits with very little success. How are
> > the Brewking whites? Also, is the Luna Rossa a good red? Better than
> > a Cab?

Pinky

Willie.
I don't want to get into great detail here. But here are a couple of basic
things I do ( or don't do).

1. With BK kits I always use the bentonite at the beginning as per the
instructions. The bentonite is obviously kept in suspension in the rapidly
fermenting earlier stages and effectively speeds up the beneficial later
interaction with the new wine.
2. I always check the initial SG after a careful mixing. After that I do NOT
check the SG daily but only when I am happy the fermentation has finished.
3. I never use the Potassium Sorbate. But I ALWAYS ferment out my wines till
they are completely dry. This means that (eg in the BK Selection kits)
after the first racking I then ignore the instructions completely until the
very last vestiges of fermentation have died away before continuing. This is
when there are absolutely no signs of gas passing through the air lock -- a
couple of 5 gallon lots {one is the Luna Rosso}which are nearly stopped at
the moment, about 1 bubble every 3 minutes --- were started on 9 January --
I shall leave them at least another week before deciding whether to do
anything)
4. I rarely, if ever, fine my reds but do a racking and stabilisation ( with
an extra SO2 adjustment) when fermentation has finished and then another
racking about a month later which normally is the last one before I bottle a
long time later. Then I will rack of any fine lees left into a clean carboy
and bottle!
5. I do usually fine my whites but not always -- it just depends!
6. I normally use a yeast different to the one supplied in the kit . My
friend, a home brew supplier, and I have a chat about the yeast to use (
normally easy but when I am trying something different it takes longer).
This is not always advisable since the yeast supplied will guarantee a good
fermentation almost without fail.

Basically I find that all wines whether kits, "country wines" or grape
wine -- are very forgiving and it takes quite a lot to fail! As I often say
the best thing to do most of the time is --- nothing! Too many people can't
resist fiddling all the time!

Just re racked my last summers strawberry -- I hope it turns out as good as
my 2002 version.

I won't rabbit on any more. You will find your own way with experience.
After some 30 years I am still learning -- and still making a few
mistakes -- but rarely serious ones. Most home vintners/brewers drink their
own mistakes!

--
Trevor A Panther
In South Yorkshire, England
Remove "SPAMLESS" from my address line to reply.
All outgoing mail is scanned by Norton
Anti Virus for your protection too!
"Willie" > wrote in message
om...
> Pinky,
>
> You seem to have <snip> <snip>

Richard Kovach

I did both the Luna Rossa and the Lodi Zin kits a little over 2 years
ago. The Luna Rossa seemed much more promising initially, but I
prefer the Zin far more now. The Luna Rossa is more full-bodied in
terms of mouthfeel, but in terms of flavour it still seems somewhat
acidic and one-dimensional compared to the Zin that has a lot more
depth. When I first started the Luna Rossa I thought it might be the
one kit that I would continue doing routinely while advancing on to
doing most of my wine from fresh grapes. But it hasn't improved with
age as much as the single-variety premium kits like the Zin and the
North Coast Pinot Noir. The Zin is definitely my favorite of the Brew
King reds I've done.

About a year ago I started 3 kits from other manufacturers
(RJSpagnols, AdVintage and Cellar Craft) since I now had access to
them. The first 2 were premium-priced Australian Shiraz. Both seemed
from the outset to be fresher and show a bit more varietal character
than what I'd gotten used to with all Brew King products, but perhaps
not quite as balanced. That still seems to be the case. I get the
impression that the Brew King reds are typically a lot more
engineered/processed/balanced than some of the competition -- which
gives you a safe and predictable product but also tends to make them
all somewhat the same. After doing several BK kits, these others were
a refreshing change. I agree with Ed in that the Zin kit seems to be
the BK kit with the most varietal character.

As for the Cellar Craft, it has seemed all along (and still does) to
be the best kit I've done. It's the WA State Merlot with the "crushed
grape pack". Very smooth, good varietal flavour, lots of soft
tannins... Just plain yummy. I did quite a bit of fresh grape wine
last year, but if I find myself in need of a kit or two to help build
up the cellar I will be most inclined to turn to Cellar Craft.

Cheers,
Richard

"Ed Marks" > wrote in message >...
> The first kit I did was a Brew King Selection Chardonnay/Semillon. It
> produced a nice, simple wine that I've enjoyed drinking (aged 1 year before
> bottling). I started an Okanagan Chardonnay of theirs this past July, and
> am very pleased with how it's coming along - I think it will end up being a
> fairly full bodied wine. Their Reisling Ice Wine is also very good - I've
> gotten great comments on it, even from fairly experienced wine drinkers.
>
> I haven't tried the Luna Rossa, but a very happy with the Lodi Old Vine
> Zinfandel - at 18 months of age it's still getting better, and has good Zin
> character and doesn't just taste like a generic red.
>
> Hope that helps,
>
> Ed
>

> "Rich" > wrote in message
> om...
> > I've tried Spagnols white wine kits with very little success. How are
> > the Brewking whites? Also, is the Luna Rossa a good red? Better than
> > a Cab?

Don S

> I like the Kendall Ridge kits as well (both Classic & Showcase). Have
> you tried any of their KR Collection limited edition kits?
>
> You say you are unimpressed by Spagnols kits. Which ones have you
> tried? FYI Cellar Classic is from Spagnols.
>
> I haven't made many Brew King kits; however, I suspect that Brew King
> Selection, Spagnols Cru Select, and Vineco Kendall Ridge are all very
> similar.

I haven't tried the KR Collection Limited Edition as I didn't know
they even existed. I'll look for them on their web site.

The Spagnols kits were a Merlot and a Riesling. I think both were
Cru Select Gold. As I said in the original post the merlot was
almost undrinkable in fact of all the kits that is the only one
I still have bottles of - that says something The Riesling just
went into the bottle after a year of bulk aging. I think it will
actually be an OK wine, just not a Riesling.

I've heard nothing but good things about BK kits and they seem
to win alot of medals at competitions.

Don

Don S

> I like the Kendall Ridge kits as well (both Classic & Showcase). Have
> you tried any of their KR Collection limited edition kits?

I found their Collection Limited Edition at:

http://www.vineco.on.ca/cgi-bin/disp...6&frameset=yes

Must be pretty good, two of three are sold out:

CALIFORNIA VIOGNIER (Solano County) - SOLD OUT
ITALIAN DOLCETTO (Piedmont) - SOLD OUT
WASHINGTON STATE MERLOT (Yakima Valley)

I think if I do another I'll go for their Australian Cab.
I've read that Australia is awash in grapes so the quality
of the kits made from their produce should be good.

I think there's a certain amount of double thinking or
something like that with buying kits. For instance, someone
else posted that the harvest in ontario was very bad this
year. If I had a choice next year, between an Ontario or
British Columbia based kit, I'd probably go for the one
from B.C.

Don
Ed Marks

Richard,

It's good to hear your perspective. I've been wondering about the Luna
Rossa, and think I'll pass on it now, but there's a good chance I'll do
another Lodi Zin.

I've not tryed one of the Cellar Craft kits - it sounds good - but since
you're doing more with fresh grapes now, as am I, why not save the skins
after you press and add your own to a kit during fermentation? I did that
last year with a Brew King Limited Edition Super Tuscan - it's still bulk
aging but is really coming along and tastes very good already after 7
months. I saved 6 gallons of skins from my 2003 grapes (sitting in the
freezer in 1 gallon bags), and will try adding them to a Brew King Limited
Edition kit that I'm getting early this year. It's a great way to improve
the kit wine and stretch the value you get from more expensive grapes.

Cheers!

Ed

Willie

Thanks a lot, this is what I wanted.

Another question: My two Brewking kits are stabilized as the
instruction says and are ageing in carboys. My Spagnols is a Cellar
Classic: Grande Shiraz. I started it abour 3 weeks ago, without any
bentonite, and is not stabilized yet. If I understood well, I should
just rack, add the sulphite, and wait until it clears by itself before
racking again, then bottleing? Right?

Thanks.

"Pinky" > wrote in message >...
> Willie.
> I don't want to get into great detail here. But here are a couple of basic
> things I do ( or don't do). . .

Kevin

"Ed Marks" > wrote in message >...
> Richard,
>
> It's good to hear your perspective. I've been wondering about the Luna
> Rossa, and think I'll pass on it now, but there's a good chance I'll do
> another Lodi Zin.
>
> I've not tryed one of the Cellar Craft kits - it sounds good - but since
> you're doing more with fresh grapes now, as am I, why not save the skins
> after you press and add your own to a kit during fermentation? I did that
> last year with a Brew King Limited Edition Super Tuscan - it's still bulk
> aging but is really coming along and tastes very good already after 7
> months. I saved 6 gallons of skins from my 2003 grapes (sitting in the
> freezer in 1 gallon bags), and will try adding them to a Brew King Limited
> Edition kit that I'm getting early this year. It's a great way to improve
> the kit wine and stretch the value you get from more expensive grapes.
>
> Cheers!

I have my first ever attempt at wine in the primary but am a veteran
beer brewer. The problem with the original question is that we know
nothing of his technique, water, sanitation...

I found early on that the water in my hometown is hard as a brick and
chlorinated. When I discovered RO water for my brewing, the quality
jumped 100X. If the original poster is still around I would recommend
RO water for his kit and see if that doesn't help improve the quality
of his wine. I'm currently brewing a Brew King reisling and expect
good results as I'm meticulous about cleanliness and use RO water.
> Ed

Steve Waller

Kendall Ridge Collection, Cru Select RQ, and Selection Limited Edition
are all one time only, order in advance kits. Some retailers may
order extra stock for their store, so look around quickly if you want
these.

Steve
Pinky

The "fining" vs. "anti fining" lobby resurfaces on here at regular
intervals. IMHO the best fining method is --- Time. But I certainly don't
enter into arguments with those who always fine. The same pro's/con's seem
to apply to filtering and I can't remember when I last filtered a wine of
mine. I suppose I am a bit of an old traditionalist. ( old being the crux of
the matter ). Everyone does it a bit differently and there are times when
fining is necessary!
Basically since I mature all my wines in bulk for a long as I can ( till I
need the carboy for a new lot ) and since that process will effectively fine
and filter the wine by gravity why should I try and interfere! Since I now
live in a small flat ( apartment ) I can manage 40 gallons in my 8 x 23
litre glass and another 20 gallons in 1 gallon glass -- the rest of the
space in my bedroom is take up by the bed! Then I have storage space for
about 200 bottles in racks in a converted pantry.I have about 20 more glass
1 gal jars and about 10 x 5 gallon polyethylene fermenters in my loft
unused for 4 years ( All gals are Imperial )

So my kit wines mature, usually, for about 9 months before I bottle and my
country wines for about 18 months -- which I why I don't do as many country
wines these days.

I would like to consider this topic sufficiently well aired --- at least by
me!

I shall try and reduce my posting to a minimum again -- I do tend to rabbit
on too much.
--
Trevor A Panther
In South Yorkshire, England
All outgoing mail is scanned by Norton
Anti Virus for your protection too!

"Willie" > wrote in message
om...
> Thanks a lot, this is what I wanted.

<snip> <snip.

Richard Kovach

Hey Ed,

I've thought of that, saving the skins. I think I have some in the
freezer. I'm a bit wary though, partly because of an experiment that
I did this last year that yielded completely unexpected and
undesirable results:

The 2002 crush was my first year from central CA valley grapes bought
by the lug (second year with fresh grapes). I seemed to have some
leftovers and was running out of time (crushing 6 lugs entirely by
hand, late at night) so I threw the leftovers in freezer bags and into
the freezer (about 6 large bags). I also saved, after pressing the
fermented wine, about 3 or 4 bags of pressed skins. Many months
later, I thawed all these, mixed them and feremented, thinking I'd get
a much more densely flavoured and coloured result. The pressed skins
seemed to still have plenty of flavour and colour in them. All of
this was 1/2 CabSauv and 1/2 Tempranillo.

Oddly, nothing happened as expected.

First of all, the SG of the thawed and crushed must was much lower
than the wine I did earlier. At first I thought this might be because
there was significant alcohol in the skins, but the end result wine
seemed to be much weaker too.

Secondly, the color and flavour seemed to be a lot weaker too --
perhaps because it fermented so quickly. I left the wine on the skins
for the normal duration, even though it fermented quickly. If I'd had
more experience with extended maceration (I do now after the 2003
crush), I probably would have let it sit on the skins for a much
longer time than I did.

Thirdly, the overall yield was MUCH lower for the same volume of
grapes than what I'd fermented the previous autumn. This really
puzzled me. At first I thought that perhaps somehow the several
months of freezing extracted water from the grapes, but if that was
the case then I would have expected stronger alcohol and flavour (and
I got the opposite).

In a nutshell, my end result was less wine, with less flavour and less
alcohol than I got from grapes from the same batch months earlier. I
really don't know what the explanation is!! Oh, and this wine still
doesn't seem to be even starting to clear, after about 9 months in
bulk aging, and the pH is significantly higher even though I added
proportionately the same amount of acid. ???

In the fall crush I tried a slightly different approach. I removed
about 10% of my fresh Syrah juice and refrigerated it while the main
batch fermented. I then then took a large proportion of the pressed
skins and mixed them with the saved juice, fermented, and did an
extended maceration. The idea was that I'd get denser flavours on the
main batch while hopefully getting a passable wine on the second pass.
I was hopeful, since the skins still seemed to have quite a bit of
colour and flavour in them. Unfortunately, neither turned out very
well, I think because the Syrah I got this year was just not very good
at all. But the second pass stuff was definitely inferior and more
watery than than the main batch. In contrast, my extended maceration
Zin turned out very very nice!

Anyhow, my anything-but-impressive result with re-using pressed skins
has made me a little gun-shy towards trying this in the future.
Perhaps these central CA valley skins just don't have enough in them
to begin with to be of much use? I would though consider using
leftover whole grapes with a kit, as I've heard that works well and
would help a bit with what I perceived as the kits getting just a bit
too weak after proper topping-up with water.

BTW, FWIW I always seemed to find that the BK premium kits would seem
to get just a little too diluted with proper top-ups with water. The
other 3 kits I did last year did not seem to suffer from this, and
just generally seemed more concentrated and flavour-packed. Just
another anecdotal observation...

About the Cellar Craft "crushed grape pack"... I was expecting a
bunch of pressed skins but it was really more than that. I would
describe it as a very dense grape jam that included lots of skins.
The grape concentrate on its own seemed about as dense and flavourful
as I'm used to from a premium kit, and this jammy stuff definitely
added more to it as well as more sugars. That's about all I know -- I
was a little skeptical up front and actually split the kit with a
friend to reduce my risk. Now I really wish I hadn't, or that we'd
done 2 of them :-)

Cheers,
Richard

"Ed Marks" > wrote in message >...
> Richard,
>
> It's good to hear your perspective. I've been wondering about the Luna
> Rossa, and think I'll pass on it now, but there's a good chance I'll do
> another Lodi Zin.
>
> I've not tryed one of the Cellar Craft kits - it sounds good - but since
> you're doing more with fresh grapes now, as am I, why not save the skins
> after you press and add your own to a kit during fermentation? I did that
> last year with a Brew King Limited Edition Super Tuscan - it's still bulk
> aging but is really coming along and tastes very good already after 7
> months. I saved 6 gallons of skins from my 2003 grapes (sitting in the
> freezer in 1 gallon bags), and will try adding them to a Brew King Limited
> Edition kit that I'm getting early this year. It's a great way to improve
> the kit wine and stretch the value you get from more expensive grapes.
>
> Cheers!
>
> Ed

Ed Marks

Richard,

I don't know what happened with your fresh grape experiments, and I can only
speak from one experience so far, but adding the pressed skins to the kit
seemed to add nicely to the flavor profile, particularly by adding more
tannic elements - this probably also means I'll need to age it longer before
it's drinkable. I can't say that it did anything for the color since the
kit juice was already quite dark. Also, when topping up I never use water -
I always use a similar style commercial wine or other wine that I've made
and have on hand.

Your description of the Cellar Craft kit and the "crushed grape pack" sound
good - if I can get my hands on one I'll give it a try. I don't have a
local source for them - can you tell me where you've gotten yours?

Thanks,

Ed

om...

Wine from kits Ronin Winemaking 14 03-11-2006 01:33 AM
cutting addtives in wineexpert/brewking kits (and what do they do?) Ray Calvert Winemaking 1 20-01-2005 02:29 AM
cutting addtives in wineexpert/brewking kits (and what do they do?) Dr. Richard E. Hawkins Winemaking 0 19-01-2005 06:55 PM
Champagne and White Wine Kits DJ Winemaking 4 25-09-2004 06:06 PM
wine kits.... Andy j. Winemaking 5 16-11-2003 05:35 PM