K. B.

Default 1 gallon glass containers

Can you guys tell me what grocery store product is packaged in a I gallon
glass jug suitable for a bung/ airlock? The brew shop gets $4.95 for 1
gallon jugs! It would be cheaper to by some juice, pour it out and re-cycle
the glass container! I'm not cheap, just frugal!

--
Karl B
Saint Charles, MO.

Dar V

I've seen apple cider and or apple in 1 gallon containers, but a size 6 or 6
1/2 bung may not fit, so make sure you have access to larger bungs. That
said, if you buy a gallon of wine and drink it, you'll have the jug for your
wine making. Check out the local liquor store.
Darlene

"K. B." > wrote in message
m...
> Can you guys tell me what grocery store product is packaged in a I gallon
> glass jug suitable for a bung/ airlock? The brew shop gets $4.95 for 1
> gallon jugs! It would be cheaper to by some juice, pour it out and

re-cycle
> the glass container! I'm not cheap, just frugal!
>
> --
> Karl B
> Saint Charles, MO.

William

"K. B." > wrote in message om>...
> Can you guys tell me what grocery store product is packaged in a I gallon
> glass jug suitable for a bung/ airlock? The brew shop gets $4.95 for 1
> gallon jugs! It would be cheaper to by some juice, pour it out and re-cycle
> the glass container! I'm not cheap, just frugal!

I've looked for the opportunity to purchase juices in gallon glass
jugs and they just don't exist around here anymore.

I picked up 4 brown glass jugs at www.listermann.com in Cincinatti for
about $2.00 each.
GWP29

Being as I work in a Grocery store I can honestly say , I dont think
the mfr's are using too much glass anymore as it is too expensive ,
plus adds too much weight to a case of juice.

"Dar V" > wrote in message >...
> I've seen apple cider and or apple in 1 gallon containers, but a size 6 or 6
> 1/2 bung may not fit, so make sure you have access to larger bungs. That
> said, if you buy a gallon of wine and drink it, you'll have the jug for your
> wine making. Check out the local liquor store.
> Darlene
>
> "K. B." > wrote in message
> m...
> > Can you guys tell me what grocery store product is packaged in a I gallon
> > glass jug suitable for a bung/ airlock? The brew shop gets $4.95 for 1
> > gallon jugs! It would be cheaper to by some juice, pour it out and

> re-cycle
> > the glass container! I'm not cheap, just frugal!
> >
> > --
> > Karl B
> > Saint Charles, MO.

Erroll Ozgencil

"K. B." > wrote in message om>...
> Can you guys tell me what grocery store product is packaged in a I gallon
> glass jug suitable for a bung/ airlock? The brew shop gets $4.95 for 1

I buy apple juice in 1-gallon glass jugs at Trader Joes, make wine out
of the juice and use the jug as a fermenter (an 8 1/2 bung fits this
particular jug). They sell two kinds: "unfiltered" for about $4 and
"gravenstein" for about $4.60. These are regular items that are
available year-round. I've made wine from each and prefer the
gravenstein.

Erroll
Rick

Schnucks right off Hwy 94 in St. Charles carries Hardin brand apple cider in
1 gallon glass jugs as least they had it in stock last fall, each year I buy
a few jugs drink the cider and .......

Rick

"K. B." > wrote in message
m...
> Can you guys tell me what grocery store product is packaged in a I gallon
> glass jug suitable for a bung/ airlock? The brew shop gets $4.95 for 1
> gallon jugs! It would be cheaper to by some juice, pour it out and

re-cycle
> the glass container! I'm not cheap, just frugal!
>
> --
> Karl B
> Saint Charles, MO.

Dave Allyn

On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 10:17:23 -0800, "John D. Misrahi"
> wrote:

>I am using a bunch of one gallon glass jugs that i got from a restaurant
>where i worked..they used to have things like cider vinegar and wine vinegar
>in them. Work just fine.
>
>john

have you had any issues with residual vinagar spoiling the wine? how
did you clean them??

email: dallyn_spam at yahoo dot com
please respond in this NG so others
can share your wisdom as well!

Dar V

That's not a bad price. I think the apple cider I looked at was closer to
$7 for the gallon. I can buy 1 gallon glass containers for $2.09 at my
liquor/wine-making/brewing store.
Darlene

"Erroll Ozgencil" > wrote in message
om...
> "K. B." > wrote in message

om>...
> > Can you guys tell me what grocery store product is packaged in a I

gallon
> > glass jug suitable for a bung/ airlock? The brew shop gets $4.95 for 1

> I buy apple juice in 1-gallon glass jugs at Trader Joes, make wine out
> of the juice and use the jug as a fermenter (an 8 1/2 bung fits this
> particular jug). They sell two kinds: "unfiltered" for about $4 and
> "gravenstein" for about $4.60. These are regular items that are
> available year-round. I've made wine from each and prefer the
> gravenstein.
>
> Erroll

John D. Misrahi

!

>I've looked for the opportunity to purchase juices in gallon glass
>jugs and they just don't exist around here anymore.
>
>I picked up 4 brown glass jugs at www.listermann.com in Cincinatti for
>about $2.00 each.

Tom S

"K. B." > wrote in message
m...
> Can you guys tell me what grocery store product is packaged in a I gallon
> glass jug suitable for a bung/ airlock? The brew shop gets $4.95 for 1
> gallon jugs! It would be cheaper to by some juice, pour it out and

re-cycle
> the glass container! I'm not cheap, just frugal!

Dear Parsimonious -

If you have one in your area, Trader Joe's sells apple juice in gallon jugs
for ~$4. You could ferment that too, or just drink it the way it is.

Tom S

K. B.

Default Bingo!!1 gallon glass containers

"Rick" > wrote in message
> Schnucks right off Hwy 94 in St. Charles carries Hardin brand apple cider

in
> 1 gallon glass jugs as least they had it in stock last fall, each year I

buy
> a few jugs drink the cider and .......
>
> Rick
>

> "K. B." > wrote in message
> m...
> > Can you guys tell me what grocery store product is packaged in a I

gallon
> > glass jug suitable for a bung/ airlock? The brew shop gets $4.95 for 1
> > gallon jugs! It would be cheaper to by some juice, pour it out and

> re-cycle
> > the glass container! I'm not cheap, just frugal!
> >
> > --
> > Karl B
> > Saint Charles, MO.

Thanks Rick! If it weren't for this miserable ice storm here in MM, I would
go there now! Hot apple cider would do the trick today!

Thanks everyone for the responses!

KB

jim book

another good place to check would be large kitchens. my wife works in the
local "youth" home. she sometimes finds them for me. last one was 1 gallon
from "Red Hot"
sauce. maybe put an ad in somewhere. also, i asked our local dairy farmer
and he had a few. weeks later he told me of another local that had about 60
gallon jugs!!! seem to find former wine makers sometimes willing to give
them away. hth good luck, jim book
"John D. Misrahi" > wrote in message

> I am using a bunch of one gallon glass jugs that i got from a restaurant
> where i worked..they used to have things like cider vinegar and wine

vinegar
> in them. Work just fine.
>
> john

Steve Waller

On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 15:36:55 GMT, "K. B." >
wrote:

>Can you guys tell me what grocery store product is packaged in a I gallon
>glass jug suitable for a bung/ airlock? The brew shop gets $4.95 for 1
>gallon jugs! It would be cheaper to by some juice, pour it out and re-cycle
>the glass container! I'm not cheap, just frugal!

Here in BC Canada, Overwaitea Foods often has apple cider or apple
juice in 4 litre/1 gallon jugs. In the local store, I have seen it
either on an end aisle or in the produce dept.

The jugs we get take a #8 bung.

The jugs sold in the U-Brew take a #6 bung.

If you do get some jugs, take one to a decent wine supply store (I
know easier in Canada than the US) to get the proper bung.

Or measure the inside diameter of the opening. Somewhere on the
internet there was a listing of standard bung dimensions. I have a
copy, but don't know where I got it from.

Steve
William

Dave Allyn > wrote in message >. ..
> On 24 Jan 2004 12:28:22 -0800, (William) wrote:
>
> >"K. B." > wrote in message om>...
> >> Can you guys tell me what grocery store product is packaged in a I gallon
> >> glass jug suitable for a bung/ airlock? The brew shop gets $4.95 for 1
> >> gallon jugs! It would be cheaper to by some juice, pour it out and re-cycle
> >> the glass container! I'm not cheap, just frugal!

> >I've looked for the opportunity to purchase juices in gallon glass
> >jugs and they just don't exist around here anymore.
> >
> >I picked up 4 brown glass jugs at
www.listermann.com in Cincinatti for
> >about $2.00 each.

> What were they under? I couldn't find them in the catalog on the
> site.....

The online catalog is abbreviated. I don't think Dan wants to ship
glass. I picked mine up on the way thru Cincinatti on vacation.
Dave Allyn

(William) wrote:

>> >I've looked for the opportunity to purchase juices in gallon glass
>> >jugs and they just don't exist around here anymore.
>> >
>> >I picked up 4 brown glass jugs at
www.listermann.com in Cincinatti for
>> >about $2.00 each.

>> What were they under? I couldn't find them in the catalog on the
>> site.....

>The online catalog is abbreviated. I don't think Dan wants to ship
>glass. I picked mine up on the way thru Cincinatti on vacation.

Oh. what do you think the odds are if I call him?

dave

email: dallyn_spam at yahoo dot com
please respond in this NG so others
can share your wisdom as well!
santos

(William) wrote:

> [...]

om>...

gallon

for 1

re-cycle

www.listermann.com in Cincinatti for

> >> What were they under? I couldn't find them in the catalog on the
> >> site.....

> >The online catalog is abbreviated. I don't think Dan wants to ship
> >glass. I picked mine up on the way thru Cincinatti on vacation.

> Oh. what do you think the odds are if I call him?
>
> dave

i think the shipping on glass jugs (fragile and heavy) would end up making
them cost more than just buying the more expensive ones you can find at your
local brew store...

Miker

Every health food store in our town stocks apple juice in glass
gallons year-round, and at least in the fall, practically every
grocery store (Safeway, etc) has glass gallons of apple juice in the
produce department (not with the regular juices). I believe I use a #8
bung in mine, but not remembering exactly right now.

Dave Allyn

On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 16:58:27 -0400, "santos"
> wrote:

<snip>

>> >The online catalog is abbreviated. I don't think Dan wants to ship
>> >glass. I picked mine up on the way thru Cincinatti on vacation.

>> Oh. what do you think the odds are if I call him?
>>

>i think the shipping on glass jugs (fragile and heavy) would end up making
>them cost more than just buying the more expensive ones you can find at your
>local brew store...

my "local" homebrew is over 3 hours away..... have never actually
been there.. I had to mail order everthing...

dave