JJC

Default Clementine Wine

I googled this topic to read previous discussions and mostly found the
100% juice debate. I just started a one gallon of Clementine and
wanted to hear from others who have done the same regarding
ingredients, quantities, and results (if any yet). I used 5 pounds of
clementines, 2 peeled and sliced bananas, grated zest from several
clementines (used a minimal amount to avoid bitter pith). My initial
SG was about 1.080 - a little low but hopefully there is some sugar
still trapped in the fruit that will take it higher. My TA was .31
but per what I read on Jack's site I am going to adjust post
fermentation with citric acid.
Ben Rotter

> I googled this topic to read previous discussions and mostly found the
> 100% juice debate. I just started a one gallon of Clementine and

It's true there's a fair bit on the 100% juice debate amongst the
Clementine threads, but there's other stuff in there too. For example,
the use of rind/zest in the "How much Clementine juice?" thread.

> I used 5 pounds of clementines

No doubt you'll be expecting me to say: use more fruit ;-)

> clementines (used a minimal amount to avoid bitter pith). My initial

Good way to go.

> SG was about 1.080 - a little low but hopefully there is some sugar
> still trapped in the fruit that will take it higher. My TA was .31
> but per what I read on Jack's site I am going to adjust post
> fermentation with citric acid.

I'd choose to adjust the TA pre-fermentation (up to around 5-6 g/l
depending on the aimed r.s. of course). That abv might be OK if you're
aiming for a lighter style.

Ben
jmreiter

JJC,
do you have a pH meter? If not, get one. Take a reading, adjust with
Potassium Carbonate. Tartness doesn't just come from acidity.
Joanne

"JJC" > wrote in message
om...
> I googled this topic to read previous discussions and mostly found the
> 100% juice debate. I just started a one gallon of Clementine and
> wanted to hear from others who have done the same regarding
> ingredients, quantities, and results (if any yet). I used 5 pounds of
> clementines, 2 peeled and sliced bananas, grated zest from several
> clementines (used a minimal amount to avoid bitter pith). My initial
> SG was about 1.080 - a little low but hopefully there is some sugar
> still trapped in the fruit that will take it higher. My TA was .31
> but per what I read on Jack's site I am going to adjust post
> fermentation with citric acid.

Clementine Candles [email protected] General Cooking 2 09-01-2012 05:54 AM
Clementine Cake percy Diabetic 8 20-12-2008 06:28 PM
Clementine oranges Mitch@this_is_not_a_real_address.com General Cooking 1 16-03-2005 03:50 PM
Oh my darling... Clementine! PENMART01 General Cooking 1 14-03-2004 11:49 PM