Brian Lundeen

Default New Brehm label info

I see Peter Brehm is now offering YAN and MAL information on his labels. I
know what YAN is, but what's MAL? What is a "good" level for both these
things? Is there an easy way to determine how much DAP is required to bump
up YAN to the desired level?

I know I could probably look all this up somewhere, it's just easier to ask.
;-)

Thanks
Brian

Ed Marks

MAL is the grams of malic acid in the must. When you do a malolactic
fermentation, this will give you some idea of the impact on the acidity of
your wine. As I understand it, 1 gram (g.) of malic acid will be converted
to .07g of lactic acid plus .03g of CO2. I have no idea what a good level
would be, or if there is one.

The desired level of YAN is somewhat dependent on the Brix of the must.
Scott labs recommends 200 ppm at 21 Brix, 250 ppm at 23 Brix, and 300 ppm at
25 Brix. So if you know the YAN and Brix, you can decide how much DAP to
add. I think .1g/L adds 100 ppm.

It's great that Brehm is giving this info. on the labels, but of the 4
varieties I got this year, only 1 had the YAN information, and none had the
MAL information - they just said NA. Oh well.

I hope this is helpful,

Ed