Don S

Default additives used in winemaking

For the tenth time I've wished I had a simple document
on the different additives used in winemaking. I'm half
considering writing one in basic html. Maybe over the
Christmas break.

For explorations sake, what do you think the important
items are with regards to any additives - usage, dosage,
storage, shelf-life, additional comments? Consider that
list with a couple of items such as Potassium Metabisulfite,
DAP, bentonite or even oak.

Don
Don S

Any one?

> For explorations sake, what do you think the important
> items are with regards to any additives - usage, dosage,
> storage, shelf-life, additional comments? Consider that
> list with a couple of items such as Potassium Metabisulfite,
> DAP, bentonite or even oak.
>
> Don

Joe Ae

Many of the additives used in wine making are from natural ingredients but
some many not be certified organic. This would be of interest to some
people.

Joe

"Don S" > wrote in message
om...
> For the tenth time I've wished I had a simple document
> on the different additives used in winemaking. I'm half
> considering writing one in basic html. Maybe over the
> Christmas break.
>
> For explorations sake, what do you think the important
> items are with regards to any additives - usage, dosage,
> storage, shelf-life, additional comments? Consider that
> list with a couple of items such as Potassium Metabisulfite,
> DAP, bentonite or even oak.
>
> Don

Art Schubert

It seems your topic is really broad here so it might be a long answer
for a newsgroup.

I have been collecting some of the postings from this NG into a sort
of white paper for myself. And I have started a spreadsheet with
different notes as the come up from some of the posters here. I could
e-mail those to you if you wish.

a.

On 25 Nov 2003 17:09:57 -0800, (Don S) wrote:

>Any one?
>

>> For explorations sake, what do you think the important
>> items are with regards to any additives - usage, dosage,
>> storage, shelf-life, additional comments? Consider that
>> list with a couple of items such as Potassium Metabisulfite,
>> DAP, bentonite or even oak.
>>
>> Don

Don S

> I have been collecting some of the postings from this NG into a sort
> of white paper for myself. And I have started a spreadsheet with
> different notes as the come up from some of the posters here. I could
> e-mail those to you if you wish.

Art,
If your interested in sharing mail them to
and I'll pick it off of there. I keep bouncing ideas around in
my head on this one and I'm hoping something gells soon. I may
just start into it and see what comes of it, if I drop it then
nothings really lost.

Don

Glen Duff

Don,

Check out Lum's site and see his appendix on "Equivalents and Measures,"
I find this quite helpful. This has at least some of the info you're
suggesting. I find the dry volume equivalents of weight to be very
helpful since most of us have difficulty measuring 12 mg or whatever.

The key to your project is organization and making everything simple to
look up and use while at the same time being comprehensive. This will
be quite a chore especially on the "additional comments" part, and you
may find yourself trying to write yet another winemaking book.

For my own use I have organized the additives I use for reference on
word documents and I have several practical applications in a
spreadsheet where the calculations are there as required. I only worry
about those additives that I routinely or occasionally use so it is
quite personalized. My sections are broken into sanitizing, acid
adjustment and fining.

Cheers and good luck,

Glen Duff
------------------------
Don S wrote:

> For the tenth time I've wished I had a simple document
> on the different additives used in winemaking. I'm half
> considering writing one in basic html. Maybe over the
> Christmas break.
>
> For explorations sake, what do you think the important
> items are with regards to any additives - usage, dosage,
> storage, shelf-life, additional comments? Consider that
> list with a couple of items such as Potassium Metabisulfite,
> DAP, bentonite or even oak.
>
> Don

Richard Kovach

Don,

I think you'll find it a challenge to create a single format or
template for all "additives". This is partly because different ones
are for vastly different purposes. But more importantly, you may find
like I have that over time you find more and more information on each
one and like nearly anything in life it becomes really challenging to
condense all of the knowledge on a particular topic down to a single
sentence or even paragraph. It would be great to have a simple
document with simple guidelines, but our wines often don't buy in to
following the simple guidelines ;-)

So maybe under each item you'll want to have a hyperlink to another
page where over time you compile your detailed notes?

Cheers!
Richard

(Don S) wrote in message . com>...
> For the tenth time I've wished I had a simple document
> on the different additives used in winemaking. I'm half
> considering writing one in basic html. Maybe over the
> Christmas break.
>
> For explorations sake, what do you think the important
> items are with regards to any additives - usage, dosage,
> storage, shelf-life, additional comments? Consider that
> list with a couple of items such as Potassium Metabisulfite,
> DAP, bentonite or even oak.
>
> Don

Don S

Thanks for the feedback Glen, it's the organization that is making
me leery about taking this one on, well that and the fact that I've
just started another job and have another little one on the way.
I'll check Lum's site, and a few other sites that people have sent,
to get additional ideas. Dry weight equivilents is another good idea.

Fig jam additives? Puester Preserving 3 26-07-2006 10:55 PM
Additives Johan General Cooking 0 19-06-2006 09:28 AM
Tie Guan Yin additives. Mydnight Tea 9 03-12-2005 03:40 AM
Wine additives zara Wine 10 23-04-2005 06:50 AM
additives in meat anthony Preserving 2 18-01-2004 10:52 AM