Ben Rotter

Default Aroma/flavour influence of yeasts from lees contact

Hi all,

I've been interested for some time in the different flavours/aromas
that different yeasts lend to wines given lees contact. For those who
age sur lie or better still conduct lees stirring, have you noticed
particular influences from different yeasts?

The Narbonne CC strain seems to lend a lovely fruity (almost tropical
lees stirred Chardonnay style) aroma, 71B-1122 seems more creamy
(wines made with this have been described as "fruit and cream" when
lees contact influence was heavy), and the French GVN strain seems to
reinforce a fruity-creamy combo (though I haven't used it as much as
the previous two). The Bordeaux strain 7013 seems less favourable to
me but no doubt the influence is more subtle on reds and I haven't had
too many wines age sur lie with this yeast so far anyway.

Anyone else care to share experiences?

Ben
Improved Winemaking
http://members.tripod.com/~BRotter/
Tim McNally

I thought 71B was Narbonne?
Tim
> Hi all,
>
> I've been interested for some time in the different flavours/aromas
> that different yeasts lend to wines given lees contact. For those who
> age sur lie or better still conduct lees stirring, have you noticed
> particular influences from different yeasts?
>
> The Narbonne CC strain seems to lend a lovely fruity (almost tropical
> lees stirred Chardonnay style) aroma, 71B-1122 seems more creamy
> (wines made with this have been described as "fruit and cream" when
> lees contact influence was heavy), and the French GVN strain seems to
> reinforce a fruity-creamy combo (though I haven't used it as much as
> the previous two). The Bordeaux strain 7013 seems less favourable to
> me but no doubt the influence is more subtle on reds and I haven't had
> too many wines age sur lie with this yeast so far anyway.
>
> Anyone else care to share experiences?
>
> Ben
> Improved Winemaking
> http://members.tripod.com/~BRotter/

Charles H

Tim McNally wrote:

> I thought 71B was Narbonne?

The last package of 71B I used said Narbonne in smaller letter on the
front, I think thought they were the same.

--
charles

"Once ... in the wilds of Afghanistan, I lost my corkscrew, and we were
forced to live on nothing but food and water for days."
- W.C. Fields
Ben Rotter

I guess the lack of responses means no-one here has really noticed
this sort of thing. Anyone? Clyde, Tom?

> I've been interested for some time in the different flavours/aromas
> that different yeasts lend to wines given lees contact. For those who
> age sur lie or better still conduct lees stirring, have you noticed
> particular influences from different yeasts?
>
> The Narbonne CC strain seems to lend a lovely fruity (almost tropical
> lees stirred Chardonnay style) aroma, 71B-1122 seems more creamy
> (wines made with this have been described as "fruit and cream" when
> lees contact influence was heavy), and the French GVN strain seems to
> reinforce a fruity-creamy combo (though I haven't used it as much as
> the previous two). The Bordeaux strain 7013 seems less favourable to
> me but no doubt the influence is more subtle on reds and I haven't had
> too many wines age sur lie with this yeast so far anyway.
>
> Anyone else care to share experiences?
>
> Ben
> Improved Winemaking
> http://members.tripod.com/~BRotter/

jmreiter

Hi Ben,
sorry to be away for a while. I get busy and distracted. I havn't done
anything sur lie. Unless you count letting one of my wines sit too long on
the lees as 'sur lie'. For whites, my favorite all-tie yeast is Lalvin
K1V-1116. It really brings out the fruitiness of the grape(s) that I use it
one and retains it well, too. For reds, I like CSM. Now, I don't know where
this yeast came from. I bought it in California and havn't seen it anywhere
else. CSM brings out a distinctive plum note to any red, especially Cab
Sauv. I like it.
Joanne
amidst the wild snow-storms of New Mexico
om...