Bruce

Default MLF Problem....

Hi Guys...

Things were going fine. Primary ferment was near the end and so I pitched
the ML germ along with "germ food", whatever that was. The next day the
ambient temperature here in Monterey dropped from a nice 74 degrees to a
frost on the roof and my six carboys of Merlot went to the 50s. Worst, I
rechecked the SO2 and it was still in the 50s. Obviously not a MLF
environment. I suspect I have to start it all over.
I built a "cupboard" for two five-gallon carboys that will maintain the
temperature to whatever I want.

Questions: Should I start two carboys now in the cupboard with a new pitch
or wait until I have racked off the lees? Do lees help? Will it work ok if
I wait for each pair of carboys to finish MLF when it will take maybe two
months each? What would be the optimum SO2 to bring the carboys to before
pitching again? And finally, what would be the optimum temperature to set
for the cupboard? Lots of questions.... Many thanks.

Cheers,
Bruce

Andrew L Drumm

We prefer around 20°C, and no free SO2, if possible. Chuck in another
inoculum, and you should be OK if the problem was purely temperature
related. Your previous MLF may come back anyway, but a new inoculum won't
hurt.

Cheers,

Andrew
"Bruce" > wrote in message

> Hi Guys...
>
> Things were going fine. Primary ferment was near the end and so I pitched
> the ML germ along with "germ food", whatever that was. The next day the
> ambient temperature here in Monterey dropped from a nice 74 degrees to a
> frost on the roof and my six carboys of Merlot went to the 50s. Worst, I
> rechecked the SO2 and it was still in the 50s. Obviously not a MLF
> environment. I suspect I have to start it all over.
> I built a "cupboard" for two five-gallon carboys that will maintain the
> temperature to whatever I want.
>
> Questions: Should I start two carboys now in the cupboard with a new

pitch
> or wait until I have racked off the lees? Do lees help? Will it work ok

if
> I wait for each pair of carboys to finish MLF when it will take maybe two
> months each? What would be the optimum SO2 to bring the carboys to before
> pitching again? And finally, what would be the optimum temperature to set
> for the cupboard? Lots of questions.... Many thanks.
>
> Cheers,
> Bruce

Looks like the Sriracha problem wasn't a problem after all. ImStillMags General Cooking 1 16-07-2014 11:39 PM
a bit of a w problem Ruddell General Cooking 24 03-02-2006 03:49 PM
Problem: Help! Matthew Givens Winemaking 8 24-07-2005 06:30 AM
Pie Problem Renee General Cooking 1 10-06-2005 11:35 PM
I have a problem Kate ...... General Cooking 18 14-06-2004 08:44 PM