Kate ......

Default I have a problem

We will be leaving on vacation , and I have nearly ten pound of potatoes
that will surely be ruined before we are home again. I know they do not
freeze well. What can I do to keep from loosing them? They are starting
to sprought. So need to do something right away. We are not going to be
able to eat them. Any ideals will be greatly appreciated. Thank you
kindly , in advance. Kate

Gabby

"Kate ......" > wrote in message
> We will be leaving on vacation , and I have nearly ten pound of potatoes
> that will surely be ruined before we are home again. I know they do not
> freeze well. What can I do to keep from loosing them? They are starting
> to sprought. So need to do something right away. We are not going to be
> able to eat them. Any ideals will be greatly appreciated. Thank you
> kindly , in advance. Kate

Got a patch of ground where you can plant them? Or a neighbor to whom you
can give them?

Gabby

Mr. Wizard

"Kate ......" > wrote in message
> We will be leaving on vacation , and I have nearly ten pound of potatoes
> that will surely be ruined before we are home again. I know they do not
> freeze well. What can I do to keep from loosing them? They are starting
> to sprought. So need to do something right away. We are not going to be
> able to eat them. Any ideals will be greatly appreciated. Thank you
> kindly , in advance. Kate

Plant them in some sandy soil and leave a hose dripping there.
Sandy doesn't mean only sand, just kinda soft.
If you have never pulled a potato out of the ground and
cooked it, well, you just have a treat coming.

Kate ......

Neither of these ideas will work for me. No close neighbors and we are new to
this area , anyway. No place to plant either, thank you for trying to help
me, I do appreciate it . Kate

Gabby wrote:

> "Kate ......" > wrote in message
> > We will be leaving on vacation , and I have nearly ten pound of potatoes
> > that will surely be ruined before we are home again. I know they do not
> > freeze well. What can I do to keep from loosing them? They are starting
> > to sprought. So need to do something right away. We are not going to be
> > able to eat them. Any ideals will be greatly appreciated. Thank you
> > kindly , in advance. Kate

> Got a patch of ground where you can plant them? Or a neighbor to whom you
> can give them?
>
> Gabby

Kate ......

I wish I could do that. But its not possible for me to do. Thank you just
the same. Kate

"Mr. Wizard" wrote:

> "Kate ......" > wrote in message
> > We will be leaving on vacation , and I have nearly ten pound of potatoes
> > that will surely be ruined before we are home again. I know they do not
> > freeze well. What can I do to keep from loosing them? They are starting
> > to sprought. So need to do something right away. We are not going to be
> > able to eat them. Any ideals will be greatly appreciated. Thank you
> > kindly , in advance. Kate
> >

> Plant them in some sandy soil and leave a hose dripping there.
> Sandy doesn't mean only sand, just kinda soft.
> If you have never pulled a potato out of the ground and
> cooked it, well, you just have a treat coming.

Gabby

"Kate ......" > wrote in message
> Neither of these ideas will work for me. No close neighbors and we are new

> this area , anyway. No place to plant either, thank you for trying to help
> me, I do appreciate it . Kate

Maybe a food bank would be happy to get them? Or a soup kitchen?

Gabby

Kate ......

I was hoping someone would tell me a way to freeze them. I have heard you can't
freeze potatoes successfully. But see they are in veggie combinations in the
freezer section at the groceries. I didn't want to go to the bother if its not
going to be a good way. Not a lot of sense in taking all the time and freezer
space. Its not a big deal. Just hoping to save them. Thank you so very much
for the suggestions. I may give them a try. Kate

PENMART01 wrote:

> >"Kate ......"
> >
> >We will be leaving on vacation , and I have nearly ten pound of potatoes
> >that will surely be ruined before we are home again. I know they do not
> >freeze well. What can I do to keep from [moron alert] loosing (LOSING!) them?

> They are starting
> >to sprought. So need to do something right away. We are not going to be
> >able to eat them. Any ideals will be greatly appreciated.

> Cook em, then freeze em... potato pancakes freeze well.
>
> ---= BOYCOTT FRANCE (belgium) GERMANY--SPAIN =---
> ---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
> *********
> "Life would be devoid of all meaning were it without tribulation."
> Sheldon
> ````````````

Kate ......

None close . And I'm pressed for time to run around looking for one to take
them. Darned expensive , with the price of gas. Kate

Gabby wrote:

> "Kate ......" > wrote in message
> > Neither of these ideas will work for me. No close neighbors and we are new

> > this area , anyway. No place to plant either, thank you for trying to help
> > me, I do appreciate it . Kate

> Maybe a food bank would be happy to get them? Or a soup kitchen?
>
> Gabby

Frogleg

On Mon, 07 Jun 2004 05:07:23 -0500, "Kate ......" >
wrote:

>We will be leaving on vacation , and I have nearly ten pound of potatoes
>that will surely be ruined before we are home again. I know they do not
>freeze well. What can I do to keep from loosing them? They are starting
>to sprought.

I don't recommend waste often, but if they're already beginning to
sprout, toss 'em. Do *not* just leave them, as potatoes can decay into
fairly nasty messes. 10lb of potatoes isn't a major investment, and if
you haven't used a fair amount of them before they began sprouting,
perhaps you need to buy in smaller quantities anyhow.

Mama2EandJ

You might want to peel and boil some of them and freeze them in stew or soup
sized chunks to use later on. Frankly,barring something like that, I'd toss
them out.

Jim Tivnan

it would help if you put them in the fridge it'll slow them down, when
you get back they should be ok, if not don't worry it's not like buying
fresh lobster

Tara

wrote:

>We will be leaving on vacation , and I have nearly ten pound of potatoes
>that will surely be ruined before we are home again. I know they do not
>freeze well. What can I do to keep from loosing them? They are starting
>to sprought. So need to do something right away. We are not going to be
>able to eat them. Any ideals will be greatly appreciated. Thank you
>kindly , in advance. Kate

Twice-baked potatoes freeze well.

Tara
Kswck

"Kate ......" > wrote in message
> We will be leaving on vacation , and I have nearly ten pound of potatoes
> that will surely be ruined before we are home again. I know they do not
> freeze well. What can I do to keep from loosing them? They are starting
> to sprought. So need to do something right away. We are not going to be
> able to eat them. Any ideals will be greatly appreciated. Thank you
> kindly , in advance. Kate

Shred them and freeze them.

DJS0302

>We will be leaving on vacation , and I have nearly ten pound of potatoes
>that will surely be ruined before we are home again. I know they do not
>freeze well. What can I do to keep from loosing them? They are starting
>to sprought. So need to do something right away. We are not going to be
>able to eat them. Any ideals will be greatly appreciated. Thank you
>kindly , in advance. Kate

Well I'm no expert on potatoes but I've seen frozen potato dishes in the
grocery store. There's a whole section in the grocery store with nothing but
things such as french fries, tater tots, hah browns, etc. The only thing is
all those items are partially cooked. Have you thought about making things
like scalloped potatoes or potatoes au gratin and then freezing the dish after
it's cooked?
Tara Banfield

Default I have a problem...no....wait

"PENMART01" > wrote in message
(#$%.~*^#etc.)

Oh, Sheldon.

Anyhow, It would seem to me that if you just cut them into chunks and
steamed or simmered them for a few minutes, they would freeze well, and then
they could make friends with soup, or become home fries or get good &
sauced. You wouldn't have to peel them, and the whole process would be
pretty quick. After thanksgiving, I make turkey hash with the leftover
bird, some chopped, cooked taters & some onion, and freeze the whole mess.
Yummy mess.

Tara

Sobremonte Acres

The first thing to remember about a potato is it's a living and
breathing organism. Thus if you warm it up it will grow. If you seal it
in a plastic bag it will suffocate. If they are diseased they will
spoil. If its kept too cold it will freeze, and if its in too much light
it will green up. They should be kept in a cool dry area, away from
light. A cellar is ideal. On the farm we store the potatoes in computer
temperature and humidity controlled cellars with air circulating though
the potatoes. Thus we can store the potatoes for long periods.
Before storing spuds, look them over and use any bruised, cut or damaged
ones first. Since dampness can cause decay, it is best not to wash spuds
before storing. Store potatoes in a cool, dark and well ventilated
place. They will keep about a one to two weeks at room temperature and
for several weeks at 45 to 50 degrees Fahrenheit. New potatoes (fresh
from harvest) will always store longer. Potatoes that are purchased
frozed have been to a quick-vacuum partial dehydration and instant
freezing. Potatoes that are frost-bitten are watery and have a black
ring under the skin when cut in cross sections.
However, refrigerator temperatures are too low, which converts the
potato's starch into sugar, resulting in a sweet taste. The extra sugar
also causes potatoes to darken prematurely while frying. (This process
can sometimes be reversed by storing the potatoes at room temperature
for a week to 10 days.) Also once a potato has been kept too cold, the
mealliness can never be returned to it. If potatoes have green patches,
cut them off, as they have been exposed too long to direct lighting and
will have a faintly bitter taste. The rest of the potato will taste
fine.

Kate ...... > wrote:
> We will be leaving on vacation , and I have nearly ten pound of potatoes
> that will surely be ruined before we are home again. I know they do not
> freeze well. What can I do to keep from loosing them? They are starting
> to sprought. So need to do something right away. We are not going to be
> able to eat them. Any ideals will be greatly appreciated. Thank you
> kindly , in advance. Kate

Give the potatoes to a neighbor or friend who can use them.

Looks like the Sriracha problem wasn't a problem after all. ImStillMags General Cooking 1 16-07-2014 11:39 PM
a bit of a w problem Ruddell General Cooking 24 03-02-2006 04:49 PM
Problem: Help! Matthew Givens Winemaking 8 24-07-2005 06:30 AM
Pie Problem Renee General Cooking 1 10-06-2005 11:35 PM
MLF Problem.... Bruce Winemaking 1 03-11-2003 09:30 AM