John Lee

Default How long can grape juice be kept?

I have just stripped an abundant crop of small grapes from a vine in the
garden. It is not convenient to convert these into wine (lack of facilities
etc), and to eat them is not really practical as they are full of seeds. So
I have mashed them down, and strained the resultant rich, sweet and fruity
juice into bottles, some plastic, some glass. My question is, what is the
best way to keep this juice? If I store it in my cool cellar, how long will
it keep? Alternatively, how long in the regrigerator (although space is a
problem here)? I can get a few plastic bottle in the freezer - how about
that?
Any help you can give will be much appreciated. John

Negodki

"John Lee" > wrote:

> I have just stripped an abundant crop of small grapes from a vine in the
> garden. It is not convenient to convert these into wine (lack of

facilities
> etc), and to eat them is not really practical as they are full of seeds.

So
> I have mashed them down, and strained the resultant rich, sweet and fruity
> juice into bottles, some plastic, some glass. My question is, what is the
> best way to keep this juice? If I store it in my cool cellar, how long

will
> it keep? Alternatively, how long in the regrigerator (although space is a
> problem here)? I can get a few plastic bottle in the freezer - how about
> that?
> Any help you can give will be much appreciated. John

If you keep it in your "cool cellar", it will either begin to ferment or
spoil within a few days. If you keep it in the refrigerator, it will last a
week or two. Freezer will last indefinately.

Remember, freezing water expands 1/11 in volume, with sufficient force to
crack open a cannonball, or split huge boulders. So leave at least 9.09%
headroom for expansion, or you will have juice all over the inside of the
freezer.

waterbathing grape juice, how long Melba's Jammin' Preserving 8 11-08-2006 07:43 PM
waterbathing grape juice, how long KW Preserving 0 10-08-2006 07:43 PM
Grape juice from a carton Thomas Winemaking 1 13-09-2004 04:56 PM
grape juice matagatos Winemaking 2 11-09-2004 07:01 AM
Grape Juice add ins Karl Hunt Winemaking 0 18-02-2004 10:57 PM