Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default waterbathing grape juice, how long

In article <WwJCg.1130727$xm3.1024061@attbi_s21>,
"gin's creations" > wrote:

> Hi I am canning grape juice and need to know how long to water bath.. thanks
> [Image]

First things first: This is a text-only newsgroup, so please do not
post any pictures or other images.
A little groveling would be good. "-)

There is a group, alt.food.binaries for posting food pics.

Processing grape juice? Pints and quarts for 15 minutes in a boiling
water bath. (Did you let it sit a day or two before jarring, to settle
out to reduce the chances for tartaric acid crystals?)
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://jamlady.eboard.com
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article <WwJCg.1130727$xm3.1024061@attbi_s21>,
> "gin's creations" > wrote:
>

>>Hi I am canning grape juice and need to know how long to water bath.. thanks
>>[Image]

> First things first: This is a text-only newsgroup, so please do not
> post any pictures or other images.
> A little groveling would be good. "-)
>
> There is a group, alt.food.binaries for posting food pics.
>
> Processing grape juice? Pints and quarts for 15 minutes in a boiling
> water bath. (Did you let it sit a day or two before jarring, to settle
> out to reduce the chances for tartaric acid crystals?)

Hot or cold?
Ellen
Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article <nFNCg.362142$iF6.63431@pd7tw2no>,
ellen wickberg > wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> > In article <WwJCg.1130727$xm3.1024061@attbi_s21>,
> > "gin's creations" > wrote:
> >

> >>Hi I am canning grape juice and need to know how long to water bath.. thanks
> >>[Image]

> > First things first: This is a text-only newsgroup, so please do not
> > post any pictures or other images.
> > A little groveling would be good. "-)
> >
> > There is a group, alt.food.binaries for posting food pics.
> >
> > Processing grape juice? Pints and quarts for 15 minutes in a boiling
> > water bath. (Did you let it sit a day or two before jarring, to settle
> > out to reduce the chances for tartaric acid crystals?)

> Hot or cold?
> Ellen

Refrigerate the juice for 24 hours, then ladle from pan, being careful
to not disturb the sediment. Strain again, then measure juice, adding
1-2 cups sugar for each galloon juice. Reheat for 5 minutes at 190°F.
Do not boil. Ladle into jars, leaving 1/4" headspace. THEN process for
15 minutes. :-) (That info is from the BBB.)
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://jamlady.eboard.com
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> In article <nFNCg.362142$iF6.63431@pd7tw2no>,
> ellen wickberg > wrote:
>
> > Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> > >
> > > Processing grape juice? Pints and quarts for 15 minutes in a boiling
> > > water bath. (Did you let it sit a day or two before jarring, to settle
> > > out to reduce the chances for tartaric acid crystals?)

> > Hot or cold?
> > Ellen

> Refrigerate the juice for 24 hours, then ladle from pan, being careful
> to not disturb the sediment. Strain again, then measure juice, adding
> 1-2 cups sugar for each galloon juice. Reheat for 5 minutes at 190°F.
> Do not boil. Ladle into jars, leaving 1/4" headspace. THEN process for
> 15 minutes. :-) (That info is from the BBB.)
> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ

Ain't them tartaric acid crystals the same as "cream of tartar"? I wonder if the
average home canner could harvest that and whether it would be as stable for
whipping eggs and cookies and such?
Edrena

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article <nFNCg.362142$iF6.63431@pd7tw2no>,
> ellen wickberg > wrote:
>

>>Melba's Jammin' wrote:

>>>First things first: This is a text-only newsgroup, so please do not
>>>post any pictures or other images.
>>>A little groveling would be good. "-)
>>>
>>>There is a group, alt.food.binaries for posting food pics.
>>>
>>>Processing grape juice? Pints and quarts for 15 minutes in a boiling
>>>water bath. (Did you let it sit a day or two before jarring, to settle
>>>out to reduce the chances for tartaric acid crystals?)

>>Hot or cold?
>>Ellen

> Refrigerate the juice for 24 hours, then ladle from pan, being careful
> to not disturb the sediment. Strain again, then measure juice, adding
> 1-2 cups sugar for each galloon juice. Reheat for 5 minutes at 190°F.
> Do not boil. Ladle into jars, leaving 1/4" headspace. THEN process for
> 15 minutes. :-) (That info is from the BBB.)

Just exactly how much is a galloon? <LOL>

George

Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
The Joneses > wrote:
> Ain't them tartaric acid crystals the same as "cream of tartar"? I wonder if
> the
> average home canner could harvest that and whether it would be as stable for
> whipping eggs and cookies and such?
> Edrena

Only a sick mind looking for entertainment would consider it. LOL! BBB
says cream of tartar is made from them. You'd have to identify which
crystals are the cream of the crop, E. "-)
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://jamlady.eboard.com
Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
George Shirley > wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> >Strain again, then measure juice, adding 1-2 cups sugar for each galloon juice.

> Just exactly how much is a galloon? <LOL>
>
> George

About the quantity that it takes for you to GO SOAK YOUR HEAD!! <VBseg>

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://jamlady.eboard.com
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> In article >,
> The Joneses > wrote:
>> Ain't them tartaric acid crystals the same as "cream of tartar"? I wonder if
>> the
>> average home canner could harvest that and whether it would be as stable for
>> whipping eggs and cookies and such?
>> Edrena

> Only a sick mind looking for entertainment would consider it.

Not any more than scraping the white stuff from seaweed for MSG....

B/
Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
Brian Mailman > wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>
> > In article >,
> > The Joneses > wrote:
> >> Ain't them tartaric acid crystals the same as "cream of tartar"? I
> >> wonder if the average home canner could harvest that and whether
> >> it would be as stable for whipping eggs and cookies and such?

> >> Edrena

> > Only a sick mind looking for entertainment would consider it.

> Not any more than scraping the white stuff from seaweed for MSG....
>
> B/

WellI'llbe. . . .
I learned something new today. Thanks, Brian.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://jamlady.eboard.com

waterbathing grape juice, how long KW Preserving 0 10-08-2006 07:43 PM
Grape juice from a carton Thomas Winemaking 1 13-09-2004 04:56 PM
grape juice matagatos Winemaking 2 11-09-2004 07:01 AM
Grape Juice add ins Karl Hunt Winemaking 0 18-02-2004 10:57 PM
How long can grape juice be kept? John Lee Winemaking 1 29-10-2003 11:33 PM