Charles H

Default pumps

Hi,

I'm looking into various pumps that I could use for pumping my wines
around... as lifting and racking larger demijohns and barrels isn't
really practical for me in my current setup.

I've seen well priced pumps, however they aren't labelled as food grade,
but appear to be made from stainless steel. Brass fittings are the most
common ones available in my area... I'm assuming these aren't that great
of an idea, even in a pump where they wine would see limited contact
with the brass. A friend jokingly suggested coating the insides with
wax!

I've read some good posts, especially by Don Schiller and his filtering
setup in the archives. Anyone have a recommened pump for smaller
volumes?

--
charles

"Once ... in the wilds of Afghanistan, I lost my corkscrew, and we were
forced to live on nothing but food and water for days."
- W.C. Fields
Sky King

I sometimes use my Buon Mini Jet ( without the filter pads) as a transfer
pump...like right now when I have a broken arm in a cast...!!! its works
ok...takes about 5-6 min. to transfer a 23 liter carboy.....
"Charles H" > wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I'm looking into various pumps that I could use for pumping my wines
> around... as lifting and racking larger demijohns and barrels isn't
> really practical for me in my current setup.
>
> I've seen well priced pumps, however they aren't labelled as food grade,
> but appear to be made from stainless steel. Brass fittings are the most
> common ones available in my area... I'm assuming these aren't that great
> of an idea, even in a pump where they wine would see limited contact
> with the brass. A friend jokingly suggested coating the insides with
> wax!
>
> I've read some good posts, especially by Don Schiller and his filtering
> setup in the archives. Anyone have a recommened pump for smaller
> volumes?
>
> --
> charles
>
> "Once ... in the wilds of Afghanistan, I lost my corkscrew, and we were
> forced to live on nothing but food and water for days."
> - W.C. Fields

David D.

I recently purchased an all stainless steel impeller pump from St Pats
(stpats.com) for $190USD. It works great so far, though you have to
fill the cavity with about a liter of water/juice to prime it. There
is also a lot of good info in this group.

Here are some links that may help you in your pump search:

http://www.depcopump.com/marine.htm
http://www.grainger.com
http://www.herbach.com/Merchant2/mer...y_Co de=PUMPS
http://hbd.org/hollen/textdocs/pumps
http://www.jabsco.com/
http://www.surpluscenter.com/
http://www.morebeer.com/
http://www.stpats.com/

Good Luck,
David

Charles H > wrote in message >...
> Hi,
>
> I'm looking into various pumps that I could use for pumping my wines
> around... as lifting and racking larger demijohns and barrels isn't
> really practical for me in my current setup.
>
> I've seen well priced pumps, however they aren't labelled as food grade,
> but appear to be made from stainless steel. Brass fittings are the most
> common ones available in my area... I'm assuming these aren't that great
> of an idea, even in a pump where they wine would see limited contact
> with the brass. A friend jokingly suggested coating the insides with
> wax!
>
> I've read some good posts, especially by Don Schiller and his filtering
> setup in the archives. Anyone have a recommened pump for smaller
> volumes?

Joe Ae

I was also looking at wine pumps but I was told that only gravity should be
used for transfering wine. Regular pumps introduce a lot of air into the
wine.

"Charles H" > wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I'm looking into various pumps that I could use for pumping my wines
> around... as lifting and racking larger demijohns and barrels isn't
> really practical for me in my current setup.
>
> I've seen well priced pumps, however they aren't labelled as food grade,
> but appear to be made from stainless steel. Brass fittings are the most
> common ones available in my area... I'm assuming these aren't that great
> of an idea, even in a pump where they wine would see limited contact
> with the brass. A friend jokingly suggested coating the insides with
> wax!
>
> I've read some good posts, especially by Don Schiller and his filtering
> setup in the archives. Anyone have a recommened pump for smaller
> volumes?
>
> --
> charles
>
> "Once ... in the wilds of Afghanistan, I lost my corkscrew, and we were
> forced to live on nothing but food and water for days."
> - W.C. Fields

J Dixon

Charles,
I have a Procon pump that is rated at 110 gph and is designed for wine.
Their website is procon.com I think. You can buy the pump from Presque Isles
for around $110. You will also need what is called a carbonator motor which
essencially is a 1/4 hp motor with a "D" shaped output shaft. I bought mine
from Granger for $60. The only other thing you need is a "V band" clamp that
you can buy from Presque Isles as well for about $1.85 that connects the
pump to the motor. I use my pump for transferring, and also in my filtering
setup. (The only part you are missing to set this up to filter is a 10 inch
filter cartridge and some reinforced Vinyl hose, fittings etc)HTH
John Dixon
"Charles H" > wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I'm looking into various pumps that I could use for pumping my wines
> around... as lifting and racking larger demijohns and barrels isn't
> really practical for me in my current setup.
>
> I've seen well priced pumps, however they aren't labelled as food grade,
> but appear to be made from stainless steel. Brass fittings are the most
> common ones available in my area... I'm assuming these aren't that great
> of an idea, even in a pump where they wine would see limited contact
> with the brass. A friend jokingly suggested coating the insides with
> wax!
>
> I've read some good posts, especially by Don Schiller and his filtering
> setup in the archives. Anyone have a recommened pump for smaller
> volumes?
>
> --
> charles
>
> "Once ... in the wilds of Afghanistan, I lost my corkscrew, and we were
> forced to live on nothing but food and water for days."
> - W.C. Fields

Clyde Gill

>I noticed PI sells brass pumps... I read that brass can dissolved by
>wines... if so, why do they sell such pumps?

For brass to have any negative effect on wine there must be reasonable
contact time. As long as you don't store the wine in the pump, there
should be no problem.

clyde (who uses a brass Jabsco 2" pump)

Pumps Roy Boy Cooking Equipment 5 02-04-2011 02:32 PM
diabetus and pumps angel/bbi Diabetic 6 07-04-2008 02:33 AM
air pumps? Mike Wine 9 11-03-2005 05:26 AM
Pumps for home winemakers Tom S Winemaking 9 01-09-2004 02:55 PM
Pumps for home winemakers Oliver King-Smith Winemaking 6 01-09-2004 02:55 PM