Mike

Default air pumps?

I am a wine newbie and was looking at a pump that is supposed to make an
open bottle of wine last a few days longer after pumping some air out. Is
using a pump effective for this?

Thanks.

Coppy Littlehouse

It does work, but not as well as the bottles of nitrogen spray that you
use to exclude oxygen from the bottle.

Stephen

I'm going to give the Pek Supremo system a try. You might take a look
at it. I will post my thoughts on in after I've used it for a while.

I'm currently using the Metrokane hand pump (
http://www.metrokane.com/site_files/...er_vacuum.aspx ) which
I think is the best of the pumps. It creates a pretty impressive
vacuum in the bottle. I drink mostly cabs and merlots, and they appear
to last just fine for 3 days using this device.

I hope this helps.

Stephen

Mike wrote:
> I am a wine newbie and was looking at a pump that is supposed to make

an
> open bottle of wine last a few days longer after pumping some air

out. Is
> using a pump effective for this?
>
> Thanks.

I have one, and it seems to work fairly well. Better, though, is to
have friends help you finish the bottles the same evening.

Brian Gordon

In article >, Mike > wrote:
>I am a wine newbie and was looking at a pump that is supposed to make an
>open bottle of wine last a few days longer after pumping some air out. Is
>using a pump effective for this?
>
>Thanks.

Sounds like Vac-U-Wine. My favorite, and does quite well is tests I have seen.

--
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
| Brian Gordon <-- brian.gordon at cox dot net |

xenophobe

Actually, the previous poster is limited in his experience and knowledge.
Costs that are "far too much" is a very subjective statement.

Winekeeper and Enomatic, e.g., produce quality equipment that will reliably
maintain the integrity of partial bottles for up to 3 weeks.

One of the 13 informal fallacies of elementary logic is "proving the general
by the specific". The technology of nitrogen or argon displacement works
indubitably. Partial vacuum systems do not.

Whether one can afford a hobby or not has nothing to do with the laws of
physics.

"Hunt" > wrote in message
> In article .com>,
> says...
>>
>>It does work, but not as well as the bottles of nitrogen spray that you
>>use to exclude oxygen from the bottle.

> One really nice aspect of the VacUvin-type device, however, is that you
> can
> travel with it. On the road, a pump and a few stoppers will go quite a
> ways
> toward keeping the wine "better" for a few days. I use these all of the
> time,
> and, coupled with refrigerator storage of opened bottles of both white and
> red, I get about 3-5 days of useful life from a bottle. I will not claim
> that
> the bottles (actually the wine IN those bottles) is as good as when first
> opened, but it will extend the life some. While I've got several nitrogen
> purge units, I have basically retired them, even the big unit, that cost
> me
> far too much - but it does look impressive with the hoses, the cylinders,
> etc.
>
> Hunt

Brian Gordon

In article >,
xenophobe > wrote:
> [...]
>One of the 13 informal fallacies of elementary logic is "proving the general
>by the specific". The technology of nitrogen or argon displacement works
>indubitably. Partial vacuum systems do not.
> [...]

I've seen two newspaper reports (SJ and Phoenix) on competiting storage
methods, and both of them found VacUVine better that any of the gas systems.
YMMV.

--
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
| Brian Gordon <-- brian.gordon at cox dot net |
+ Bass: "Spirit of Phoenix" SPEBSQSA Chorus (and Gotcha! dad) +
-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
Hunt

In article >,
says...

>Actually, the previous poster is limited in his experience and knowledge.
>Costs that are "far too much" is a very subjective statement.
>
>Winekeeper and Enomatic, e.g., produce quality equipment that will reliably
>maintain the integrity of partial bottles for up to 3 weeks.
>
>One of the 13 informal fallacies of elementary logic is "proving the general
>by the specific". The technology of nitrogen or argon displacement works
>indubitably. Partial vacuum systems do not.
>
>Whether one can afford a hobby or not has nothing to do with the laws of
>physics.
>

>"Hunt" > wrote in message
>> In article .com>,

says...

>>>It does work, but not as well as the bottles of nitrogen spray that you
>>>use to exclude oxygen from the bottle.

>> One really nice aspect of the VacUvin-type device, however, is that you
>> can
>> travel with it. On the road, a pump and a few stoppers will go quite a
>> ways
>> toward keeping the wine "better" for a few days. I use these all of the
>> time,
>> and, coupled with refrigerator storage of opened bottles of both white and
>> red, I get about 3-5 days of useful life from a bottle. I will not claim
>> that
>> the bottles (actually the wine IN those bottles) is as good as when first
>> opened, but it will extend the life some. While I've got several nitrogen
>> purge units, I have basically retired them, even the big unit, that cost
>> me
>> far too much - but it does look impressive with the hoses, the cylinders,
>> etc.
>>
>> Hunt

I have not tried the two systems that you mention, but I have opened a bottle,
from the same case, after pouring from a 3-4 day old VacUvin'ed, refrigerated
bottle and the differences are minimal. While I would not argue the vacuum
method v inert gas replacement for long-term storage (as I have never done a
controlled experiment between the two), for short-term, the vacuum method does
the job. As to the relative expense of the two types of systems, I have them
both, and, as stated, do not bother with nitrogen any longer. This may be
because wine seldom sits around my house, but when it does, the vacuum/
refrigeration method does a fine job.

Hunt

Max Hauser

"Brian Gordon" in ...

> I've seen two newspaper reports (SJ and Phoenix) on
> competiting storage methods, and both of them found
> VacUVine better that any of the gas systems.
> YMMV.

Whatever is this, Brian? External data, basis for your assertions?

Aren't postings about technical devices for wine supposed to have only
unsupported conclusions, proof-by-conviction? Surely the more firmly it's
believed by its writer, the truer it must be.

Get with the program! ;-)

Pumps Roy Boy Cooking Equipment 5 02-04-2011 02:32 PM
diabetus and pumps angel/bbi Diabetic 6 07-04-2008 02:33 AM
Pumps for home winemakers Tom S Winemaking 9 01-09-2004 02:55 PM
Pumps for home winemakers Oliver King-Smith Winemaking 6 01-09-2004 02:55 PM
pumps Charles H Winemaking 6 29-10-2003 04:37 PM