Tepe

Default Cranberry wine

I am looking for a tried and true recipe for cranberry wine. I am looking
for someone who made and bottled it so you can tell me good or bad on what
you did.
Tom

--

Home of the
MOON RIVER BREWERY

Dar V

Tom,
I've made it and bottled it, but this was my first batch. The recipe was
from Terry Garey's "The Joy of Home Winemaking". The wine came out at a 12%
alcohol by volume - it had a cranberry taste, a bit tart, but smooth -
ending SG was 1.021. I've been letting it age. I'll break out the first
bottle at Thanksgiving. I'm waiting for cranberries to go on sale again,
right after Thanksgiving, and then I'll buy 4 bags at 12 oz each, freeze
them for a couple of weeks and then start making the wine. When I make it
again, I will use more water - there was a lot of cranberry sludge. If this
sounds like a recipe you'd like, let me know and I'll send it to you.
Darlene

"Tepe" > wrote in message
> I am looking for a tried and true recipe for cranberry wine. I am looking
> for someone who made and bottled it so you can tell me good or bad on what
> you did.
> Tom
>
> --
>
> Home of the
> MOON RIVER BREWERY
> &
> DELANCO VINEYARDS

Tepe

Yes please share your recipe with us.

--

Home of the
MOON RIVER BREWERY

"Dar V" > wrote in message
> Tom,
> I've made it and bottled it, but this was my first batch. The recipe was
> from Terry Garey's "The Joy of Home Winemaking". The wine came out at a

12%
> alcohol by volume - it had a cranberry taste, a bit tart, but smooth -
> ending SG was 1.021. I've been letting it age. I'll break out the first
> bottle at Thanksgiving. I'm waiting for cranberries to go on sale again,
> right after Thanksgiving, and then I'll buy 4 bags at 12 oz each, freeze
> them for a couple of weeks and then start making the wine. When I make it
> again, I will use more water - there was a lot of cranberry sludge. If

this
> sounds like a recipe you'd like, let me know and I'll send it to you.
> Darlene
>
> "Tepe" > wrote in message
> > I am looking for a tried and true recipe for cranberry wine. I am

looking
> > for someone who made and bottled it so you can tell me good or bad on

what
> > you did.
> > Tom
> >
> > --
> >
> > Home of the
> > MOON RIVER BREWERY
> > &
> > DELANCO VINEYARDS

Dar V

Hi!
The initial recipe called for only 3 3/4 quarts of water. As I read through
my notes, I noted that I didn't have any to top up with and the recipe
didn't quite produce 1 gallon, so I've increased the water to get a full
gallon plus a bit more to use as top up. I also noted that there was so
much cranberry sludge, that when I racked, I was concerned about adding all
this water - so I bought a can of 100% frozen cranberry juice and added that
for top-up. Good-luck
Darlene

Cranberry Wine

3 lbs cranberries (frozen and thawed) (4-12 oz bags)
6 cups sugar (5 cups added before fermentation/1 cup added after initial
ferment slows down)
1 gallon water (plus a pint or so more for top-up)
1 can 100% Welch's white grape juice
1/4 tsp tannin
1/2 tsp acid blend
1 tsp yeast nutrient
1/2 tsp pectic enzyme
1 crushed campden tablet
1 packet Montrachet yeast

"Tepe" > wrote in message
> Yes please share your recipe with us.
>

> --
>
> Home of the
> MOON RIVER BREWERY
> &
> DELANCO VINEYARDS
>

> "Dar V" > wrote in message
> > Tom,
> > I've made it and bottled it, but this was my first batch. The recipe

was
> > from Terry Garey's "The Joy of Home Winemaking". The wine came out at a

> 12%
> > alcohol by volume - it had a cranberry taste, a bit tart, but smooth -
> > ending SG was 1.021. I've been letting it age. I'll break out the

first
> > bottle at Thanksgiving. I'm waiting for cranberries to go on sale

again,
> > right after Thanksgiving, and then I'll buy 4 bags at 12 oz each, freeze
> > them for a couple of weeks and then start making the wine. When I make

it
> > again, I will use more water - there was a lot of cranberry sludge. If

> this
> > sounds like a recipe you'd like, let me know and I'll send it to you.
> > Darlene
> >
> > "Tepe" > wrote in message
> > > I am looking for a tried and true recipe for cranberry wine. I am

> looking
> > > for someone who made and bottled it so you can tell me good or bad on

> what
> > > you did.
> > > Tom
> > >
> > > --
> > >
> > > Home of the
> > > MOON RIVER BREWERY
> > > &
> > > DELANCO VINEYARDS

Christiane

Thanks for posting your recipe. Is this a sweet wine?
Chris

"Dar V" > wrote in message >...
> Hi!
> The initial recipe called for only 3 3/4 quarts of water. As I read through
> my notes, I noted that I didn't have any to top up with and the recipe
> didn't quite produce 1 gallon, so I've increased the water to get a full
> gallon plus a bit more to use as top up. I also noted that there was so
> much cranberry sludge, that when I racked, I was concerned about adding all
> this water - so I bought a can of 100% frozen cranberry juice and added that
> for top-up. Good-luck
> Darlene
>
> Cranberry Wine
>
> 3 lbs cranberries (frozen and thawed) (4-12 oz bags)
> 6 cups sugar (5 cups added before fermentation/1 cup added after initial
> ferment slows down)
> 1 gallon water (plus a pint or so more for top-up)
> 1 can 100% Welch's white grape juice
> 1/4 tsp tannin
> 1/2 tsp acid blend
> 1 tsp yeast nutrient
> 1/2 tsp pectic enzyme
> 1 crushed campden tablet
> 1 packet Montrachet yeast
>

> "Tepe" > wrote in message
> > Yes please share your recipe with us.
> >

> > --
> >
> > Home of the
> > MOON RIVER BREWERY
> > &
> > DELANCO VINEYARDS
> >

> > "Dar V" > wrote in message
> > > Tom,
> > > I've made it and bottled it, but this was my first batch. The recipe

> was
> > > from Terry Garey's "The Joy of Home Winemaking". The wine came out at a

> 12%
> > > alcohol by volume - it had a cranberry taste, a bit tart, but smooth -
> > > ending SG was 1.021. I've been letting it age. I'll break out the

> first
> > > bottle at Thanksgiving. I'm waiting for cranberries to go on sale

> again,
> > > right after Thanksgiving, and then I'll buy 4 bags at 12 oz each, freeze
> > > them for a couple of weeks and then start making the wine. When I make

> it
> > > again, I will use more water - there was a lot of cranberry sludge. If

> this
> > > sounds like a recipe you'd like, let me know and I'll send it to you.
> > > Darlene

> looking

> what

Greg Cook

On 10/27/03 4:14 PM, in article , "Tepe"
> wrote:

> I am looking for a tried and true recipe for cranberry wine. I am looking
> for someone who made and bottled it so you can tell me good or bad on what
> you did.
> Tom

Hi Tom,

I have made cranberry melomel (with honey as the fermentables) twice now.
The first was light on the cranberries and slightly off dry. It was nice.
The second time turned out much better with more cranberry fruit. It was
also sweetened just a bit. It has a nice cranberry tartness and beautiful
color. I have some details on my web page. You can find the complete wine
logs for the 2001 bottled batch. My melomel bottled this year I am working
on the logs now and is not on my web page, so the details are below.

--
Greg Cook
http://homepage.mac.com/gregcook/Wine

(remove spamblocker from my email)

Cranberry Melomel 2002

21 12 Oz bags of cranberries. Lost about a bag and a half after picking
through them
12.5 pounds wildflower honey (note - added more)
pectic enzyme
yeast nutrient
Montrachet yeast
5 gallons water

1/1/2002 Cranberries chopped in food processor. Honey added. 5
gallons of near boiling water was poured over the fruit and honey and
allowed to cool to room temperature (about 12 hours). Yeast nutrient (4
tsp) and pectic enzyme (2 tsp) was added.

1/2/2002 After 24 hrs, SG measures 1.068. 2.5 lb honey was stirred in
well. SG 1.080. An additional 2.5 lb honey added. SG 1.086. 2 packets of
Montrachet yeast were sprinkled on top.

1/4/2002 No sign of activity. A starter was made from another packet
of Montrachet yeast, apple juice and some of the cranberry must. After
about 10 hours, it was fermenting well. More cranberry must added to the
starter. After a few more hours this was added to the bulk.

1/5/2002 Beginning to see bubbles.

1/6/2002 Cap has risen and is fermenting well.

1/19/2002 Must was strained and the pulp squeezed. SG 1.031. Placed in
a 5 gal carboy, 2 one gal bottles and a 2 L plastic soda bottle. Taste is
really good - much more cranberry flavor than last yearıs batch.

6/16/02 SG 1.008 - racked into a 6.5 gal carboy

2/23/03 SG ~ 1.004 * racked into 6 gal carboy. One bottle was drawn
off and corked. 2.4 g sulfite and 6 g sorbate added. Alcohol is about 11%

3/9/03 SG 1.004 * filter #3 pads. Bottled. 26 750 mL bottles and 8 12
oz bottles.

9/20/2003 Tasting notes. Color nice clear pink/red color. Cranberry
comes through well on the nose and on the tongue. Carries through to a
rather long finish. Crisp and sharp with complex notes from the honey.
Delightful and refreshing.

Ray

I have a batch made from cranberries and raisins. Used the recipe on Jack
Keller's site. Very nice. Try looking at his recipe.

Ray

"Tepe" > wrote in message
> I am looking for a tried and true recipe for cranberry wine. I am looking
> for someone who made and bottled it so you can tell me good or bad on what
> you did.
> Tom
>
> --
>
> Home of the
> MOON RIVER BREWERY
> &
> DELANCO VINEYARDS

StarrFarms1

Hey Tom, I know you said you were looking for a tried and true
cranberry wine recipe, but how about a mead recipe?! I tasted a
cranberry wine a friend made a few years ago, and although it was very
good, if I didn't know it was cranberry, it would have been very hard
to guess. I was looking for something more "cranberry!", not just a
tasty,dry, red wine. So I put together this melomel last December to
drink this Thanksgiving. Although aging will probably make this mead
spectacular, it's very good now.
My recipe:
7- 12 oz bags fresh cranberries/ prefrozen
4#'s dried cranberries. Look around for the unsulfited ones.
5 tsp yeast nutrient with biotin
4 tsp acid blend
2 tsp geletin finings
KV1-1116 yeast
Blackberry honey

I always make a yeast starter the day before I mix up the mead.
Simple and gives the yeast a head start in the mead. Just mix a
couple of tbl spoons of honey in about 2/3 full qt jar of water, a
dash of nutrient and pitch the yeast.

I don't boil, pasturize or sulfite and of my meads. You can adapt
your methods on this here.
thawed and crushed cranberries.
Put fresh berries and 1# dried into strainer bag
mix honey in 5 gals warm water (to disolve honey). I just keep mixing
and testing until I get the SG I want. This batch I wanted strong so
I hit 1.120 SG.
Add nutrient, acid, gelitin, the bag of fruit and yeast starter.
I keep bucket covered with a towel and mix thoroughly for 7-10 days.
Rack off fruit, squeeze strainer bag as dry as you can get it.
Rack again when bubling thru the air lock is down to 1/30 seconds.
When I make a second fruit addition, I usually wait until the mead
starts clearing. I don't know why, that's just the way I do it. This
one took almost 5 months to start clearing. I racked the mead into
another carboy with the remaining 3 #'s dried cranberries in a
strainer bag.
Fruit sat in the mead for another 2 weeks and racked off.
It clouds up the mead again, but who's in a hurry?
Now this mead has a deep red color, is very very cranberry flavor. It
will go awesome with Thanksgiving dinner. It's hard keeping my wife
out of it now.
Thad

> "Tepe" > wrote in message
> > I am looking for a tried and true recipe for cranberry wine. I am looking
> > for someone who made and bottled it so you can tell me good or bad on what
> > you did.
> > Tom
> >
> > --
> >
> > Home of the
> > MOON RIVER BREWERY
> > &
> > DELANCO VINEYARDS

Ray

That is an interesting thing about cranberry. Jack's recipe calls for a
tremendous amount of cranberry. And dry. the wine has a strong flavor and
strong bouquet. But unless you know it is cranberry wine you would not
recognize it. The bouquet is very floral and the wine is very crisp. I
love it. I resisted making cranberry wine for years as I do not like
cranberry juice. The resistance has crumbled.

Ray

om...