Finlay

Default French wine connections

I realise that members here are strong advocates of making their own wine,
but I'm hoping that a proportion must also be francophile lovers of French
wine. Through this post I'm hoping to connect with those members who have
experience of France (even if it's only through the love and purchase of
French wine) and will want to share it with the Sharing France project.

This is not a commercial ad. Total France.com is a non-commercial site run
by Francophile volunteers. Our main aim is the sharing of France-related
information.

The 'Sharing France' Project is a collaborative effort among Francophiles,
geared towards collecting and disseminating 'verbal histories' in an
interesting and entertaining way. Francophiles from around the globe are
invited to join in.

The project has been started with the aim of collecting together first-hand
experiences - of visiting, living in or working in France - and publishing
them, in electronic book form, for the information and enjoyment of
Francophiles everywhere; in particular those new to France.

So, do you have an amusing, sad, moving, informative or cautionary story
about any aspect of visiting or living in France? Perhaps your mixed
feelings about finally leaving home to live permanently in France or the
vexed problem of a border dispute with neighbours; the fun of travelling
through France as a tourist or the trauma of breaking your favourite bottle
of French wine? Whatever the story, we'd be delighted if you came and shared
it with the project.

Full details (including submission procedures) available at:
http://www.totalfrance.com/france/fo...opic.php?t=516

Anyone can contribute - you don't have to be a Mark Twain or a Jane Austen -
and there are no pre-conditions about style or content. There are no
conditions about length - six lines to six chapters, it's up to you. This is
not a writing competition but an information-gathering project. If your
story is of interest then come and share it with interested people!

Full credit will be given to all contributors - except those who desire
anonymity - and Francophiles everywhere will be able to download the
finished compilation, free of charge, direct to their PCs.

To make the project more fun, and to acknowledge your input, the first
entries will receive a prize. So will the best of the contributions overall.

We look forward to reading your contribution

Dave Stacy

>So, do you have an amusing, sad, moving, informative or cautionary story

Yep a cautionary one......
When you needed your country liberated during WW2 you looked to us.
When we needed your help in the Mideast you said "no".
Don't look for help from me nor ever expect any of my hard earned
dollars to ever be spent in your economy again. No French wine,
cheese, etc. in my house.

I'll get off my soapbox now.

Dave
John DeFiore

"Dave Stacy" > wrote in message

> >So, do you have an amusing, sad, moving, informative or cautionary story

> Yep a cautionary one......
> When you needed your country liberated during WW2 you looked to us.
> When we needed your help in the Mideast you said "no".
> Don't look for help from me nor ever expect any of my hard earned
> dollars to ever be spent in your economy again. No French wine,
> cheese, etc. in my house.

France helped the US in its war for independence. (How far back do we want
to go?)
They needed liberation in WW2 because their country was occupied. Ours was
not.
Many Americans were dubious about invading a country that did not attack us
without evidence that they were a clear and immediate threat. We still have
no evidence of any immediate threat. Were those Americans wrong for having
their own opinion? Why are the French wrong for having their own opinion?
I'm not sorry to see Saddam gone, but if we want to invade every country
that has a dictator we don't like that MIGHT be doing dangerous things we
should start up the draft again. I hope that our government knew and knows
something we don't.
There are two sides to this, and I can respect people who hold opinions on
either side. I refuse to fault the French for having an opinion that many
Americans had as well.

Regards,

John

Negodki

I'm very tempted to reply to this, but such discussion does NOT belong in
this newsgroup. Let's stick to winemaking. Please.

"John DeFiore" > wrote in message

> "Dave Stacy" > wrote in message
> >
> > >So, do you have an amusing, sad, moving, informative or cautionary

story
> > Yep a cautionary one......
> > When you needed your country liberated during WW2 you looked to us.
> > When we needed your help in the Mideast you said "no".
> > Don't look for help from me nor ever expect any of my hard earned
> > dollars to ever be spent in your economy again. No French wine,
> > cheese, etc. in my house.

> France helped the US in its war for independence. (How far back do we want
> to go?)
> They needed liberation in WW2 because their country was occupied. Ours

was
> not.
> Many Americans were dubious about invading a country that did not attack

us
> without evidence that they were a clear and immediate threat. We still

have
> no evidence of any immediate threat. Were those Americans wrong for

having
> their own opinion? Why are the French wrong for having their own opinion?
> I'm not sorry to see Saddam gone, but if we want to invade every country
> that has a dictator we don't like that MIGHT be doing dangerous things we
> should start up the draft again. I hope that our government knew and knows
> something we don't.
> There are two sides to this, and I can respect people who hold opinions on
> either side. I refuse to fault the French for having an opinion that many
> Americans had as well.
>
> Regards,
>
> John

Tim McNally

French wines and cheeses are boycotted in our house.
Tim

John DeFiore

"Negodki" > wrote in message
> I'm very tempted to reply to this, but such discussion does NOT belong in
> this newsgroup. Let's stick to winemaking. Please.

You're absolutely correct, this whole thread is really off-topic. Although
sometimes an off-topic post here and there isn't a bad thing, this subject
surely doesn't belong in this newsgroup. At least it's not commercial SPAM
Apologies for propagating the thread.

Regards,

John

Dave Stacy

You're right and I'm very sorry.
Just a bad day and it struck me wrong.

I'll keep my political opinions to the appropriate NG

Dave

French wine wasfi skaff Wine 1 26-04-2011 08:17 AM
"French researchers tested this by using an odourless dye to colourwhite wine red. The wine tasters who tried the result used typical red winedescriptors, suggesting that its colour played a significant role in how theythought of it." [email protected] Wine 0 22-05-2008 06:02 AM
Request for a new thread: Mexican-Filipino culinary connections Dirty Sick Pig Mexican Cooking 11 30-06-2007 11:07 PM
Filter connections Raanan Winemaking 2 02-01-2004 01:43 PM
French connections Finlay Wine 0 24-10-2003 01:32 PM