Michael

Default RC-212 and Premier Cuvee

Almost all the kits I have done have been with EC-1118 or the
71b-1122.

What the most prominent differences that I will see with these two new
yeasts?

They both have started fermenting within 18 hours and now are at 71F
in a 68F room, so they seem to have started just right.

The RC-212 is in a Brew King limited edidtion Syrah/Mourverde from
springtime that I finally got a chance to start and the Cuvee in a
Brew King Italian Pinot Grigio also purchased in Feb/March with a
Jan03 manufacture date.

So far I have been very impressed with the quality of these kits. I
did two batches of their limited edition Chardonnay from Jan; I did
one with the EC-1118 and the other with the 71B and both tasted great
as I bottle from carboy last weekend.
Richard Kovach

Michael,

Very glad to hear that Brew King is continuing to use some different
yeasts. The Premier Cuvee is actually quite similar to EC-1118, both
of which are saccharomyces bayanus strains that some call "killer
yeasts" -- they are very fool-proof but don't give the best
flavour/aroma properties to the wine. I've found that the EC-1118
seems to be a little more neutral and better, while the Premier Cuvee
leaves quite a noticeable character that masks a lot of the varietal
difference. At least that was the case with the first several Brew
King kits I did, all but one of which used this yeast. I did some
experiments where I split the kits into 2 and did 1/2 with Pasteur
Red, and found that to be much better especially for
Chateauneuf-du-Pape style wines.

Most other yeasts available for winemaking, including RC-212 and 71B,
are saccharomyces cerivisiae strains. There are quite a few different
cerivisiae strains with quite different properties. The RC-212 would
be a logical selection for an S/M blend.

If you haven't started these yet, I would not use the Premier Cuvee
but instead use EC-1118, or better yet, a cerivisiae strain. Try this
link for some general info on yeast
http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/yeast.asp or this one for info on
specific strains http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/strains.asp

Be sure to save some of your wine (especially the red) for a minimum
of 18 months. My Brew King reds that are past 2 years in the bottle
are easily 10 times more enjoyable than during the first 6 months, and
much better than after even 18 months.

Enjoy your wines!

Richard

Premier Cru (US retailer) DaleW Wine 14 10-08-2016 09:17 PM
Premier Value Diabetic Socks Julie Bove[_2_] General Cooking 27 06-12-2012 11:34 PM
Caviar's role as the premier Arash010 General Cooking 0 20-10-2011 06:01 AM
Premier Bank zxcvbob General Cooking 6 21-05-2011 07:02 AM
36-inch Premier gas stoves Mark Zanger Cooking Equipment 11 06-04-2005 06:56 PM