Dave Allyn

Default fine lees in secondary

Okay.. Like mentioned before, I recently dumped my primary into my
secondary. (SG was 1.005) I was aiming for a one gallon batch, so I
have slightly more. the one gallon jug is filled up to the point
where the it starts necking in, and the left over is put in a 40oz
beer bottle (filled about 2/3 of the way up).

two quesitons: One: there is about 1/4 inch of fine lees on the
bottom of each container. how long should I leave the wine on the
lees? this is a welches red with k1v-1116 yeast.

next question: the jug is at a slow bubble in the airlock. (one
<blub> every 3-4 seconds) the smaller container has not even started
to move the water from one side to the other to be able to bubble
(these are s-shaped airlocks) Is something wrong? they came out of
the same primary within seconds of each other. does the pressure just
need to build more? this container has the fine lees as well.

thanks in advance...

email: dallyn_spam at yahoo dot com
please respond in this NG so others
can share your wisdom as well!
Negodki

"Dave Allyn" > wrote:

> next question: the jug is at a slow bubble in the airlock. (one
> <blub> every 3-4 seconds) the smaller container has not even started
> to move the water from one side to the other to be able to bubble
> (these are s-shaped airlocks) Is something wrong? they came out of
> the same primary within seconds of each other. does the pressure just
> need to build more? this container has the fine lees as well.

I don't know the answer to the first question, so I've skipped it.

Two possible explanations to the second come to mind:

1) there is less volume, thus less yeast, thus less yeast activity in the
smaller container, therefore less CO2 is produced, and it will take more
time for the pressure to build up enough to start bubbling.

2) there are more of the original lees in suspension in the larger container
(due to the order of transfer from the primary), and therefore there is MUCH
more yeast activity (in addition to the volumetric difference).

For what it's worth, this seems to always happen to me. The larger carboys
(which I fill first) are more active, and active sooner, than the smaller
ones. I wouldn't worry about it. Have a drink instead.

J Dixon

Dave, As long as it is topped up I would wait until the fermentation is
complete. (no more bubbling, and s.g. somewhere below .998) and then I would
add around 30 days to this and rack off the lees. The amount of time you
wait is not critical, but I would get it off the lees in your case somewhere
around this time frame.
Excessive handling is not a good practice and accounts for a lot of
oxidized wines made at home. HTH
John Dixon