Mike

Default Newbie - Secondary Fermentation & Smell?

I've made two 1 gallon batches of fruit wines over the last couple of
months. The first, was an apple/cherry blend using an "old family
recipe" that used....bread yeast in a covered crock. This batch was
one of those 60 day recipes. The second batch (after being enlighted
by Terry Garey's Home Winemaking book), was a banana wine using
Lalvin's K1V-1116 yeast in a fermentation bucket with an airlock.

Both batches have cleared significantly, however, both smell strong,
of yeast (at least I presume thats the strong smell). Also, the
apple/cherry gets a white film on it. The banana recipe reads that it
needs a lot more aging and I'm ok with that.

My question: Did I do something wrong with either of these batches?
I realize the old family recipe is.....well an old family recipe, but
the similiarities between the two have me concerned. I'm guessing the
white film is from oxidation (flowers...?). But then again I'm a
newbie. Any comments are appreciated. thx! Mike