Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default Guinea Fowl for the vineyard

After some research, i am going to put Guinea fowl (guinea hens) free
ranging around our vineyard. I hear they eat ticks, Japanese Beetles
and other insects.
Has anyone had experience with doing this? Would like any insights to
your experience.

DAve
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
JB JB is offline

You'll never see another tick, flea or snake around your home if you have a
good number of guinea hens running around. That's the good news. Guinea
hens, if you've a bunch, can get quite rowdy in the middle of the night
doing their "pet- rock" "pet-rock" until it builds into a cacophony that
makes it unable to sleep. It also seemed to me that they were the lesser
intelligent of the barnyard fowl. We never saw eye to eye on what was a
garden area not to take a dust bath in and what wasn't. I remember seeing
two guinea fowl chase one another round and round and round our house during
the middle of 100+ degree temperatures until they tired and then. they'd
turn and run the other way with the one previously being chased doing the
chasing. <sigh>

All in all though, you know what, I'd do it again.

Good luck!

"Storyteller1225" > wrote in message
> After some research, i am going to put Guinea fowl (guinea hens) free
> ranging around our vineyard. I hear they eat ticks, Japanese Beetles
> and other insects.
> Has anyone had experience with doing this? Would like any insights to
> your experience.
>
> DAve

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Aug 28, 5:28*pm, Storyteller1225 > wrote:
> After some research, i am going to put Guinea fowl (guinea hens) free
> ranging around our vineyard. I hear they eat ticks, Japanese Beetles
> and other insects.
> Has anyone had experience with doing this? Would like any insights to
> your experience.
>
> DAve

Do they eat grapes? We had peacocks wandering the property a few years
ago. When my new Marechal Foch vines began to bear, the peacocks ate
all of the lower bunches. They didn't bother the normal-sized grapes,
however.

Paul