Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default Mulch at base of vines?

I am considering putting mulch (chipped from oak and ash trees) around
the base of my Frontenac vines to control the weeds. I'd appreciate
suggestions about the use of mulch or other deterrents to weed growth.
Thanks in advance,

sv/endeavor
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Apr 22, 8:24*am, sv Endeavor > wrote:
> I am considering putting mulch (chipped from oak and ash trees) around
> the base of my Frontenac vines to control the weeds. *I'd appreciate
> suggestions about the use of mulch or other deterrents to weed growth.
> Thanks in advance,
>
> sv/endeavor

Wood chips are the best mulch and I have been mulching for 3 years
now. There is a dramatic difference in the health of the vine along
with a dramatic increase in the quality of the fruit. I highly
recommend it. Mulch after a heavy rain to trap in the moisture. About
4-6" is good. Avoid mulching when the ground is dry. If you have to
mulch when the ground is dry, water heavily first then mulch, then
water the mulch heavily. You will notice the need for any fertilizer
will disappear.
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Apr 22, 9:43*am, wrote:
> On Apr 22, 8:24*am, sv Endeavor > wrote:
>
> > I am considering putting mulch (chipped from oak and ash trees) around
> > the base of my Frontenac vines to control the weeds. *I'd appreciate
> > suggestions about the use of mulch or other deterrents to weed growth.
> > Thanks in advance,

> > sv/endeavor

> Wood chips are the best mulch and I have been mulching for 3 years
> now. There is a dramatic difference in the health of the vine along
> with a dramatic increase in the quality of the fruit. I highly
> recommend it. Mulch after a heavy rain to trap in the moisture. About
> 4-6" is good. Avoid mulching when the ground is dry. If you have to
> mulch when the ground is dry, water heavily first then mulch, then
> water the mulch heavily. You will notice the need for any fertilizer
> will disappear.

Some advantages to wood chip mulch- lots of mychorrizal fungi, worms,
breaks down to great dirt quick. Don't disturb the soil structure once
you start mulching. Just lay more wood chips on top. You'll be
impressed at the black color of the dirt and the amount of worms
you'll have. Good source of fishing worms

Healthy vines michael[_3_] Winemaking 11 22-09-2009 07:27 PM
Pruning of vines Scott L Winemaking 4 02-01-2006 02:18 AM
RED VINES® WHITE AND Duckie ® Recipes 0 24-09-2005 04:41 PM
Vines Roy Boy Winemaking 8 21-09-2005 11:56 PM
Penzey's soup base vs. Redi-base Stark Raven General Cooking 5 16-12-2003 02:48 PM