Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default Difference between Active Dry, and Brewers yeast

I saw a remark on the net that said active dry yeast leads to more
alcohol content, but has a yeasty taste, while brewers yeast doesn't
have the content, but doesn't have the aftertaste either.
Any truth to those comments?

Tim
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Tim wrote:
> I saw a remark on the net that said active dry yeast leads to more
> alcohol content, but has a yeasty taste, while brewers yeast doesn't
> have the content, but doesn't have the aftertaste either.
> Any truth to those comments?
>
> Tim

If you're talking about the 'dry active yeast' being bread yeast, yes it
has a yeasty taste.
Most wine yeasts have little yeast taste.
Gene
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Apr 2, 12:26*pm, Tim > wrote:
> I saw a remark on the net that said active dry yeast leads to more
> alcohol content, but has a yeasty taste, while brewers yeast doesn't
> have the content, but doesn't have the aftertaste either.
> Any truth to those comments?
>
> Tim

Some yeast will tend to leave a bit more "yeasty taste" than others.
Bread yeast will tend to do this. Generally, this fades over time

But the implication that some yeast "leads to more alcohol content" is
wrong. Yeast digest sugars into alcohol and CO2. A given amount of
sugar will be digested into roughly 55% alcohol (by weight, I
believe). So 20 lbs of sugar will yield about 11 lbs alcohol when
fully fermented. I don't believe there is any significant variation
in this between different yeast varieties.

It is true that some yeast have a higher tolerance for alcohol than
others. Beer or bread yeast may essentially be paralyzed when the
alcohol concentration reaches 6% to 8% alcohol. Wine yeast can
normally tolerate at least 12% to 14% alcohol, and the hardier
varieties (with a little help) will get to 18% or so.

So if you use a low alcohol tolerant yeast, you may have trouble
getting all the sugars converted to alcohol. But the potential
alcohol depends only on the amount of sugars, not on the yeast used.

Doug
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Doug wrote:
> On Apr 2, 12:26 pm, Tim > wrote:

> So if you use a low alcohol tolerant yeast, you may have trouble
> getting all the sugars converted to alcohol. But the potential
> alcohol depends only on the amount of sugars, not on the yeast used.
>
> Doug

Thank you for the answer. Just out of curiosity, what is the upper
limit to the content in fermented wines? I have seen some ports that
were fairly high in %, or are those special blended?

Tim

Fleischmann's Yeast: Regular vs. Active Manda Ruby General Cooking 37 30-11-2009 06:30 PM
how much active yeast do I need to make .25 teaspoon of instant yeast? Joe General Cooking 1 17-11-2006 03:54 AM
Dry Active Yeast Frank103 Baking 9 11-11-2006 02:03 AM
when can i tell yeast is active --- DAve Allison Winemaking 9 07-03-2006 05:25 AM
Active dry yeast vs Instant (rapid-rise) stiko Baking 7 23-08-2005 10:17 PM