Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Fleischmann's Yeast: Regular vs. Active

What would happen if Hihgly Active Yeast is used in place of regular
Active yeast in making Indian flat bread (naan)? The recipe I plan to
use is from youtube video by Manjula. She uses regular, I think, She
lets the dough sit for 6 hours before baking it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Manda Ruby" > wrote in message
> What would happen if Hihgly Active Yeast is used in place of regular
> Active yeast in making Indian flat bread (naan)? The recipe I plan to
> use is from youtube video by Manjula. She uses regular, I think, She
> lets the dough sit for 6 hours before baking it.

*Those people* answered this question yesterday, and did a good job of it.
Some even provided links to the Fleischman's website with directions on
exactly how to substitute Rapid Rise Highly Active yeast for regular yeast.
The rules and guidelines given by the yeast manufacturer will work just fine
in your naan recipe. Follow them.

Jinx

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Manda Ruby" > wrote in message
> What would happen if Hihgly Active Yeast is used in place of regular
> Active yeast in making Indian flat bread (naan)? The recipe I plan to
> use is from youtube video by Manjula. She uses regular, I think, She
> lets the dough sit for 6 hours before baking it.

I have never seen "Hihgly" Active Yeast. Even if you meant 'highly' active
yeast, I have never seen such a product. I suspect you need to sit down and
read and think before you run to the computer. A link was given to you
yesterday that will provide all the information you need as well as lots of
recipes. You don't even know for sure what kind of yeast is used in the
video you watched. How old are you?
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"l, not -l" > wrote in message

> On 24-Nov-2009, Manda Ruby > wrote:
>
>> What would happen if Hihgly Active Yeast is used in place of regular
>> Active yeast in making Indian flat bread (naan)? The recipe I plan to
>> use is from youtube video by Manjula. She uses regular, I think, She
>> lets the dough sit for 6 hours before baking it.

> Highly Active Yeast is another name for Rapid Rise; the info from
> Fleischman's site (http://breadworld.com/products.aspx) says.
> * Reduces rising time by as much as 50% by eliminating the first rise
> * Instant yeast designed for mixing directly with other dry ingredients
> before use
> * Can be used in all your recipes (even those before RapidRiseT Yeast -
> introduced in 1984)
> * For use in your oven or bread machine
> * Available in strip of three 1/4 oz. envelopes
> * Same as Instant and Bread Machine Yeast
> Key words a reduces rising time, mix directly with other ingredients.
> Without seeing the recipe you are wanting to use, the best help I can
> offer
> is:
> - you don't need to proof (mix with water and let work up a foam) the
> yeast before adding it to your flour and other ingredients
> - if the recipe says something like "let rise 3 hours until doubled";
> don't go by the time, watch it and when it's doubled in size, move on
>
> --
> Change Cujo to Juno in email address.

Thanks for spelling this out again for those of us that didn't catch on the
first time. ;-)

Jinx

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 24, 3:15*pm, "Janet Bostwick" > wrote:
> "Manda Ruby" > wrote in message
>
> ...> What would happen if Hihgly Active Yeast is used in place of regular
> > Active yeast in making Indian flat bread (naan)? *The recipe I plan to
> > use is from youtube video by Manjula. *She uses regular, I think, She
> > lets the dough sit for 6 hours before baking it.

> I have never seen "Hihgly" Active Yeast. *Even if you meant 'highly' active
> yeast, I have never seen such a product. *I suspect you need to sit down and
> read and think before you run to the computer. *

You obviously are one of *those* people. No need to respond to my
posts. I do not read posts from *those* people, *those* being people
who talk like you. In fact, I am not reading the remaining part of
your post.

>A link was given to you
> yesterday that will provide all the information you need as well as lots of
> recipes. *You don't even know for sure what kind of yeast is used in the
> video you watched. *How old are you?
> Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 24, 4:01*pm, "l, not -l" > wrote:
> On 24-Nov-2009, Manda Ruby > wrote:
>
> > What would happen if Hihgly Active Yeast is used in place of regular
> > Active yeast in making Indian flat bread (naan)? *The recipe I plan to
> > use is from youtube video by Manjula. *She uses regular, I think, She
> > lets the dough sit for 6 hours before baking it.

> Highly Active Yeast is another name for Rapid Rise; the info from
> Fleischman's site (http://breadworld.com/products.aspx) says.
> * * * *Reduces rising time by as much as 50% by eliminating the first rise
> * * * Instant yeast designed for mixing directly with other dry ingredients
> * * before use
> * * * Can be used in all your recipes (even those before RapidRise™ Yeast -
> * * introduced in 1984)
> * * * For use in your oven or bread machine
> * * * Available in strip of three 1/4 oz. envelopes
> * * * Same as Instant and Bread Machine Yeast
> Key words a *reduces rising time, mix directly with other ingredients.
> Without seeing the recipe you are wanting to use, the best help I can offer
> is:
> * - *you don't need to proof (mix with water and let work up a foam) the
> * yeast before adding it to your flour and other ingredients
> * - *if the recipe says something like "let rise 3 hours until doubled";
> * don't go by the time, watch it and when it's doubled in size, move on
>
> --
> Change Cujo to Juno in email address.

Thanks for the useful info. BTW, I forgot that I already posted this
question and so I didn't read that thread. Beside, I really was
looking for useful info like mixing directly with the dry ingredients
rather then being directed to a website.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 24, 4:01*pm, "l, not -l" > wrote:
> On 24-Nov-2009, Manda Ruby > wrote:
>
> > What would happen if Hihgly Active Yeast is used in place of regular
> > Active yeast in making Indian flat bread (naan)? *The recipe I plan to
> > use is from youtube video by Manjula. *She uses regular, I think, She
> > lets the dough sit for 6 hours before baking it.

> Highly Active Yeast is another name for Rapid Rise; the info from
> Fleischman's site (http://breadworld.com/products.aspx) says.
> * * * *Reduces rising time by as much as 50% by eliminating the first rise
> * * * Instant yeast designed for mixing directly with other dry ingredients
> * * before use
> * * * Can be used in all your recipes (even those before RapidRise™ Yeast -
> * * introduced in 1984)
> * * * For use in your oven or bread machine
> * * * Available in strip of three 1/4 oz. envelopes
> * * * Same as Instant and Bread Machine Yeast
> Key words a *reduces rising time, mix directly with other ingredients.
> Without seeing the recipe you are wanting to use, the best help I can offer
> is:
> * - *you don't need to proof (mix with water and let work up a foam) the
> * yeast before adding it to your flour and other ingredients
> * - *if the recipe says something like "let rise 3 hours until doubled";
> * don't go by the time, watch it and when it's doubled in size, move on
>
> --
> Change Cujo to Juno in email address.

BTW, the instruction written on the pacakge of Fleischmann's Highly
Active Yeast states to add liquids that have been heated to 120-130
degrees for traditional recipes, whatever traditional recipes means.
But, I am making Naan and so thanks for the specific tip.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 23:15:19 -0800 (PST), Manda Ruby wrote:

> On Nov 24, 3:15*pm, "Janet Bostwick" > wrote:
>> "Manda Ruby" > wrote in message
>>
>> ...> What would happen if Hihgly Active Yeast is used in place of regular
>>> Active yeast in making Indian flat bread (naan)? *The recipe I plan to
>>> use is from youtube video by Manjula. *She uses regular, I think, She
>>> lets the dough sit for 6 hours before baking it.

>> I have never seen "Hihgly" Active Yeast. *Even if you meant 'highly' active
>> yeast, I have never seen such a product. *I suspect you need to sit down and
>> read and think before you run to the computer. *

> You obviously are one of *those* people. No need to respond to my
> posts. I do not read posts from *those* people, *those* being people
> who talk like you. In fact, I am not reading the remaining part of
> your post.

so there!

blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"blake murphy" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 23:15:19 -0800 (PST), Manda Ruby wrote:
>
>> On Nov 24, 3:15 pm, "Janet Bostwick" > wrote:
>>> "Manda Ruby" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> ...>
>>> What would happen if Hihgly Active Yeast is used in place of regular
>>>
>>> I have never seen "Hihgly" Active Yeast. Even if you meant 'highly'
>>> active
>>> yeast, I have never seen such a product. I suspect you need to sit down
>>> and
>>> read and think before you run to the computer.

>> You obviously are one of *those* people. No need to respond to my
>> posts. I do not read posts from *those* people, *those* being people
>> who talk like you. In fact, I am not reading the remaining part of
>> your post.
>>

> so there!
>
> blake

Yeah, she really told *them*, didn't she?

Jinx

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Manda Ruby" wrote

> Thanks for the useful info. BTW, I forgot that I already posted this
> question and so I didn't read that thread. Beside, I really was
> looking for useful info like mixing directly with the dry ingredients
> rather then being directed to a website.

Grin, you really should join us in alt.bread.recipes

Anyways, simple answer. The sort you add to dry ingredients is also what
you use in breadmakers and it has 2 names.

'Instant' and 'Breadmachine yeast'. Just depends on the makers. If you
just use that one web site, it represents (in a slanted way) only their own
product naming. I've seen 'Instand Active Dry', 'Instant dry',
'Breadmachine dry', 'breadmachine instant active dry' and so on from others.
If you live outside the USA, there are even more names of what to look for.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Manda Ruby wrote:

> On Nov 24, 4:01 pm, "l, not -l" > wrote:
> > On 24-Nov-2009, Manda Ruby > wrote:
> >
> > > What would happen if Hihgly Active Yeast is used in place of regular
> > > Active yeast in making Indian flat bread (naan)? The recipe I plan to
> > > use is from youtube video by Manjula. She uses regular, I think, She
> > > lets the dough sit for 6 hours before baking it.

<snip>

> > --
> > Change Cujo to Juno in email address.

> BTW, the instruction written on the pacakge of Fleischmann's Highly
> Active Yeast states to add liquids that have been heated to 120-130
> degrees for traditional recipes, whatever traditional recipes means.
> But, I am making Naan and so thanks for the specific tip.

All yeasts benefit from being dissolved in warm liquids. But many
recipes just mix the granular yeast with the dry ingredients. Because we
store our yeast (bought in bulk) in the freezer, we start it in warm
liquids even if the recipe says it isn't necessary.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 25 Nov 2009 12:37:14 -0600, Jinx Minx wrote:

> "blake murphy" > wrote in message

>>> You obviously are one of *those* people. No need to respond to my
>>> posts. I do not read posts from *those* people, *those* being people
>>> who talk like you. In fact, I am not reading the remaining part of
>>> your post.
>>>

>> so there!
>>
>> blake

> Yeah, she really told *them*, didn't she?
>
> Jinx

i don't think they'll be showing their faces here again.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 25, 4:45*pm, Arri London > wrote:
> Manda Ruby wrote:

> <snip>
>
> > > --
> > > Change Cujo to Juno in email address.

> > BTW, *the instruction written on the pacakge of Fleischmann's Highly
> > Active Yeast states to add liquids that have been heated to 120-130
> > degrees for traditional recipes, whatever traditional recipes means.
> > But, I am making Naan and so thanks for the specific tip.

> All yeasts benefit from being dissolved in warm liquids. But many
> recipes just mix the granular yeast with the dry ingredients. Because we
> store our yeast (bought in bulk) in the freezer, we start it in warm
> liquids even if the recipe says it isn't necessary.

I see. I just have small packages. Naan would be the only bread I
make that require yeast.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 25, 1:38*pm, "cshenk" > wrote:
> "Manda Ruby" wrote
>
> > Thanks for the useful info. *BTW, I forgot that I already posted this
> > question and so I didn't read that thread. *Beside, I really was
> > looking for useful info like mixing directly with the dry ingredients
> > rather then being directed to a website.

> Grin, you really should join us in alt.bread.recipes

Oh, I don't plan to bake that much. With my hypo, I can't eat most
vairety anymore anyway. I grew up with fresh naan - the neihgborhood,
and in fact, the city I grew up in back home to be the city of
predominantly Indian Muslims during the British time; that
neihgborhood still had the same atmoshphere with naan shops and stuff.
So, I am not giving up naan though made from white flour entirely. I
plan to revise the recipe so that I can sub whole wheat at least up to
50%.

> Anyways, simple answer. *The sort you add to dry ingredients is also what
> you use in breadmakers and it has 2 names.
>
> 'Instant' and 'Breadmachine yeast'. *Just depends on the makers. *If you
> just use that one web site, it represents (in a slanted way) only their own
> product naming. *I've seen 'Instand Active Dry', 'Instant dry',
> 'Breadmachine dry', 'breadmachine instant active dry' and so on from others.
> If you live outside the USA, there are even more names of what to look for.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Manda Ruby" wrote
"cshenk" wrote:

> Oh, I don't plan to bake that much. With my hypo, I can't eat most
> vairety anymore anyway. I grew up with fresh naan - the neihgborhood,

Manda, what is 'hypo'? You use it like a group would know it but I am not
sure and come up with several meanings.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cshenk wrote:
> "Manda Ruby" wrote
> "cshenk" wrote:
>
>> Oh, I don't plan to bake that much. With my hypo, I can't eat most
>> vairety anymore anyway. I grew up with fresh naan - the neihgborhood,

> Manda, what is 'hypo'? You use it like a group would know it but I
> am not sure and come up with several meanings.

Hypoglycemia?

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
> cshenk wrote:
>> "Manda Ruby" wrote
>> "cshenk" wrote:
>>
>>> Oh, I don't plan to bake that much. With my hypo, I can't eat most
>>> vairety anymore anyway. I grew up with fresh naan - the neihgborhood,

>> Manda, what is 'hypo'? You use it like a group would know it but I
>> am not sure and come up with several meanings.

> Hypoglycemia?
>
> nancy

That or hypochondria. Probably both.

Jinx

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jinx Minx wrote:
> "Nancy Young" > wrote in message
>> cshenk wrote:

>>> Manda, what is 'hypo'? You use it like a group would know it but I
>>> am not sure and come up with several meanings.

>> Hypoglycemia?

> That or hypochondria. Probably both.

Heh. I didn't think of that. Good hypothesis.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 26, 6:36*pm, "Jinx Minx" > wrote:
> "Nancy Young" > wrote in message

> > cshenk wrote:

> >> Manda, what is 'hypo'? * You use it like a group would know it but I
> >> am not sure and come up with several meanings.

> > Hypoglycemia?

> > nancy

> That or hypochondria. *Probably both.
>
> Jinx

Probably is a word only people of below average intelligence level
use. Intelligent people, OTOH, talk in civilized manner s shown below:

"Manda, what is 'hypo'? "

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 26, 5:55*pm, "cshenk" > wrote:
> "Manda Ruby" wrote
>
> "cshenk" wrote:
> > Oh, I don't plan to bake that much. With my hypo, I can't eat most
> > vairety anymore anyway. I grew up with fresh naan - the neihgborhood,

> Manda, what is 'hypo'? * You use it like a group would know it but I am not
> sure and come up with several meanings.

I didn't mean to shorten "hypoglycemia" to hypo in groups like this.
In any case, I provided context clue(s) but it would require to know
that food items made from grains that have been processed too much
doesn't provide stable blood sugar, hence it's hypoglycemia, unlike
the idiot Jinx, with his below average in intelligence, incapable of
understanding that hypoglycemia is not something hypochondriacs can
use it easily.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 26 Nov 2009 22:09:43 -0500, Nancy Young wrote:

> Jinx Minx wrote:

>>> Hypoglycemia?

>> That or hypochondria. Probably both.

> Heh. I didn't think of that. Good hypothesis.
>
> nancy

maybe it's 'hypomania.'

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"manda" wrote
"cshenk" wrote:

>> > Oh, I don't plan to bake that much. With my hypo, I can't eat most
>> > vairety anymore anyway. I grew up with fresh naan - the neihgborhood,

>> Manda, what is 'hypo'? You use it like a group would know it but I am not
>> sure and come up with several meanings.

> I didn't mean to shorten "hypoglycemia" to hypo in groups like this.

It's ok, but i asked to be sure. Hypoglycemia was my first guess due to
topic.

>In any case, I provided context clue(s) but it would require to know
> that food items made from grains that have been processed too much
> doesn't provide stable blood sugar, hence it's hypoglycemia, unlike

True. I have a version of it. Tests the same if you use the 8 hour test.
It is *not* the classic but a genetic imbalance we can track 2 generations
of and by symptoms and diet choices to avoid it, up 5 generations.

The diet needed for us is close to diabetic but not the same. For example,
starches aren't off limit but we tend to the not overly processed ones as
they take longer to digest if not 'processed' much. That means in real
english for the rest, slower breakdown. Less sugar fluxuation of the gluose
level in the blood. (you knew that, they didnt so please bear with me).

If you are even remotely like me (not pre-diabetic which most hypoglycemics
are) but the true Type A (Genetic) or Type B stable, then your diet of
course must be adjusted to it. Unlike a diabetic, you cant just take extra
insulin to deal with it. Instead, your body produces too much insulin in
reaction to an influx of blood glucose causing a 'crash' in blood sugar from
2-6 hours later if the rise is too rapid.

Now the question is what spikes you? This will *not* be the same as the
diabetics here. I'm sure a grunch of them will tell you 'glycemic load
indexes' and such and that's very useful to a diabetic, but not the same for
you if you are like me.

Since we do not know what you are like compared to me, here's my 'on list'
that doesnt fit a diabetic and an 8 hour glocose tolerance test once put me
in the hospital in a coma when i was 19. I am non-reactive (or nominally)
for 4 hours, then 'wham'.

On list: Rice (brown is better but family wont eat it).
Potatoes, preferably with skin
Pasta in 1 cup moderation
Crackers (all types if not sweets)
Breads with a portion of WW or rye
Most fruits (I seem to not react to fructose much)

Note i limited that to just what diabetics will tell you to watch. If it's
a whole grain, it's 'on'.

Best stabilizers: Carbs that take time to break down. They shuffle evenly
into glucose. No spikes is the aim here. A true Hypoglycemic over-reacts
to spikes with a flood of insulin that can be very close (or the same) as
diabetic insulin shock.

Best bet: Try to eat a nibble every 4 hours. This 'evens the load'. If
you feel 'shocky' do not grab a candybar (will cycle up for a bit then
spiral worse down). Grab some saltines or wheat thins or any other
NON-SWEET item.

First sign of a low: Lack of hunger, faint desire to not be in the same
room as food.
Second sign of low: Light nausea, feelings of hunger, possibly combined
with minor hunger pains
Third sign: only felt when you fxxx-ed up, wondering why you are on the
floor and your family looks worried. (forgot to eat them crackers eh?)

Fouth sign: When you didnt wake up at home but if lucky, in the hospital.
Haven't experinced 5th one thank god!

As to Naan, it works. In reasonable amounts, its a stabilizer.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cshenk wrote:

> [...]

> the same) as diabetic insulin shock.
>
> Best bet: Try to eat a nibble every 4 hours. This 'evens the load'.
> If you feel 'shocky' do not grab a candybar (will cycle up for a bit
> then spiral worse down). Grab some saltines or wheat thins or any other
> NON-SWEET item.
>
> First sign of a low: Lack of hunger, faint desire to not be in the same
> room as food.
> Second sign of low: Light nausea, feelings of hunger, possibly combined
> with minor hunger pains
> Third sign: only felt when you fxxx-ed up, wondering why you are on the
> floor and your family looks worried. (forgot to eat them crackers eh?)
>
> Fouth sign: When you didnt wake up at home but if lucky, in the
> hospital. Haven't experinced 5th one thank god!
>
> As to Naan, it works. In reasonable amounts, its a stabilizer.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Manda Ruby wrote:

> On Nov 25, 4:45 pm, Arri London > wrote:
> > Manda Ruby wrote:

> > <snip>

> > > BTW, the instruction written on the pacakge of Fleischmann's Highly
> > > Active Yeast states to add liquids that have been heated to 120-130
> > > degrees for traditional recipes, whatever traditional recipes means.
> > > But, I am making Naan and so thanks for the specific tip.

> > All yeasts benefit from being dissolved in warm liquids. But many
> > recipes just mix the granular yeast with the dry ingredients. Because we
> > store our yeast (bought in bulk) in the freezer, we start it in warm
> > liquids even if the recipe says it isn't necessary.

> I see. I just have small packages. Naan would be the only bread I
> make that require yeast.

Try it both ways and see which gives a nicer result. Sometimes it
matters and sometimes it doesn't.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Hypoglycemia was Fleischmann's Yeast: Regular vs. Active

In article >,
"cshenk" > wrote:

> True. I have a version of it. Tests the same if you use the 8 hour test.
> It is *not* the classic but a genetic imbalance we can track 2 generations
> of and by symptoms and diet choices to avoid it, up 5 generations.

> insulin to deal with it. Instead, your body produces too much insulin in
> reaction to an influx of blood glucose causing a 'crash' in blood sugar from
> 2-6 hours later if the rise is too rapid.

> Since we do not know what you are like compared to me, here's my 'on list'
> that doesnt fit a diabetic and an 8 hour glocose tolerance test once put me
> in the hospital in a coma when i was 19. I am non-reactive (or nominally)
> for 4 hours, then 'wham'.

I took the GTT three times, all more than thirty years ago. I renamed
it to the Glucose Torture Test. Back then I was diagnosed as diabetic,
but I still crashed pretty hard. The last two times I took the test,
the tech refused to finish it, and told me to go get something to eat!

> into glucose. No spikes is the aim here. A true Hypoglycemic over-reacts
> to spikes with a flood of insulin that can be very close (or the same) as
> diabetic insulin shock.

My pancreas no longer gives that "flood" of insulin. I get mine out of
a needle now.

> Best bet: Try to eat a nibble every 4 hours. This 'evens the load'. If
> you feel 'shocky' do not grab a candybar (will cycle up for a bit then
> spiral worse down). Grab some saltines or wheat thins or any other
> NON-SWEET item.
>
> First sign of a low: Lack of hunger, faint desire to not be in the same
> room as food.
> Second sign of low: Light nausea, feelings of hunger, possibly combined
> with minor hunger pains
> Third sign: only felt when you fxxx-ed up, wondering why you are on the
> floor and your family looks worried. (forgot to eat them crackers eh?)
>
> Fouth sign: When you didnt wake up at home but if lucky, in the hospital.
> Haven't experinced 5th one thank god!

I was having some lows a few months back. I talked to my doctor and got
a little kit. I trained my wife and kids on how to use it. It's only
for use when I've passed out, so I can't inject myself, and they can't
give me anything by mouth when I'm unconscious. The doctor's
instructions are for them to inject me, and then immediately call the
paramedics. You might talk to your doctor about getting one.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dan Abel wrote:
> In article >,
> "cshenk" > wrote:
>

>> True. I have a version of it. Tests the same if you use the 8 hour test.
>> It is *not* the classic but a genetic imbalance we can track 2 generations
>> of and by symptoms and diet choices to avoid it, up 5 generations.

>> insulin to deal with it. Instead, your body produces too much insulin in
>> reaction to an influx of blood glucose causing a 'crash' in blood sugar from
>> 2-6 hours later if the rise is too rapid.

>> Since we do not know what you are like compared to me, here's my 'on list'
>> that doesnt fit a diabetic and an 8 hour glocose tolerance test once put me
>> in the hospital in a coma when i was 19. I am non-reactive (or nominally)
>> for 4 hours, then 'wham'.

> I took the GTT three times, all more than thirty years ago. I renamed
> it to the Glucose Torture Test. Back then I was diagnosed as diabetic,
> but I still crashed pretty hard. The last two times I took the test,
> the tech refused to finish it, and told me to go get something to eat!
>
>> into glucose. No spikes is the aim here. A true Hypoglycemic over-reacts
>> to spikes with a flood of insulin that can be very close (or the same) as
>> diabetic insulin shock.

> My pancreas no longer gives that "flood" of insulin. I get mine out of
> a needle now.
>
>> Best bet: Try to eat a nibble every 4 hours. This 'evens the load'. If
>> you feel 'shocky' do not grab a candybar (will cycle up for a bit then
>> spiral worse down). Grab some saltines or wheat thins or any other
>> NON-SWEET item.
>>
>> First sign of a low: Lack of hunger, faint desire to not be in the same
>> room as food.
>> Second sign of low: Light nausea, feelings of hunger, possibly combined
>> with minor hunger pains
>> Third sign: only felt when you fxxx-ed up, wondering why you are on the
>> floor and your family looks worried. (forgot to eat them crackers eh?)
>>
>> Fouth sign: When you didnt wake up at home but if lucky, in the hospital.
>> Haven't experinced 5th one thank god!

> I was having some lows a few months back. I talked to my doctor and got
> a little kit. I trained my wife and kids on how to use it. It's only
> for use when I've passed out, so I can't inject myself, and they can't
> give me anything by mouth when I'm unconscious. The doctor's
> instructions are for them to inject me, and then immediately call the
> paramedics. You might talk to your doctor about getting one.

You and cshenk both have my best wishes. I'm trying to get ahead of my
possible health issues with a good diet, and exercise. But I know there
are things you just can't escape.

Good luck to you.

If you would like a pal, just email me.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dan Abel" wrote,
> "cshenk" wrote:

>> insulin to deal with it. Instead, your body produces too much insulin in
>> reaction to an influx of blood glucose causing a 'crash' in blood sugar
>> from
>> 2-6 hours later if the rise is too rapid.

> I took the GTT three times, all more than thirty years ago. I renamed
> it to the Glucose Torture Test. Back then I was diagnosed as diabetic,
> but I still crashed pretty hard. The last two times I took the test,
> the tech refused to finish it, and told me to go get something to eat!

HeheheI'm with you! Seriously though, I only had trouble for a little while
when I first moved out from home and was eating cakes and sweets like my
roomates. Once i stopped that and went back to my earlier eating styles,
the problem ceased to bother me much.

Classic Diabetic there! You 'spike' then crash eventually. Me, I never
really 'spike' (I never hit 100 for example, just slowly rose from 86 or so
to 98, then held fairly well in the 90's until the crash.)

> My pancreas no longer gives that "flood" of insulin. I get mine out of
> a needle now.

Sorry to hear that!

>> Best bet: Try to eat a nibble every 4 hours. This 'evens the load'. If
>> you feel 'shocky' do not grab a candybar (will cycle up for a bit then
>> spiral worse down). Grab some saltines or wheat thins or any other
>> NON-SWEET item.

I presume the above works somewhat for a diabetic as well? A little
something every 4 hours?
I know there are differences in what the 'little something' should be.

> I was having some lows a few months back. I talked to my doctor and got
> a little kit. I trained my wife and kids on how to use it. It's only
> for use when I've passed out, so I can't inject myself, and they can't
> give me anything by mouth when I'm unconscious. The doctor's
> instructions are for them to inject me, and then immediately call the
> paramedics. You might talk to your doctor about getting one.

Naw, diet controlled works perfectly for me. As long as I don't 'cheat' too
often (and am not a sweets type person so that's easy for me) or too much
I'm fine. I just have to remember to have some triscuits etc a few hours
later to even the load.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 27 Nov 2009 22:10:13 -0800, Dan Abel wrote:

> In article >,
> "Jinx Minx" > wrote:
>
>> And as far as I see it, you fit the classic profile of a hypochondriac. Get
>> a grip.

> Although she is probably a hypochondriac also, I liked Blake's
> explanation of "hypomaniac" better. I thought he probably just made
> that up, but it's in my dictionary.

i don't **** around, bro.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 27, 2:22*pm, "cshenk" > wrote:

> >> Manda, what is 'hypo'? You use it like a group would know it but I am not
> >> sure and come up with several meanings.

> > I didn't mean to shorten "hypoglycemia" to hypo in groups like this.

> It's ok, but i asked to be sure.

That's the traits of civilized people. Also shows intelligence.
Seriously.
*
> Hypoglycemia was my first guess due to
> topic.

> >In any case, I provided context clue(s) but it would require *to know
> > that food items made from grains that have been processed too much
> > doesn't provide stable blood sugar, hence it's hypoglycemia, unlike

> True. *I have a version of it. *Tests the same if you use the 8 hour test.
> It is *not* the classic but a genetic imbalance we can track 2 generations
> of and by symptoms and diet choices to avoid it, up 5 generations.

All 3 or 4 siblings of my mother (except my mom) had type II
diabetes. They managed to control it through diet and insulin shots
(in old age) and lived a normal life. I do not know at which stage in
their lives diabetes entered because they're all so much older as I
was born when my Mom was almost 40.

> The diet needed for us is close to diabetic but not the same. *For example,
> starches aren't off limit but we tend to the not overly processed ones as
> they take longer to digest if not 'processed' much. *That means in real
> english for the rest, slower breakdown. *Less sugar fluxuation of the gluose
> level in the blood. (you knew that, they didnt so please bear with me).

The first time I realized that I might have hypoglycemia was when I
was 25. It was because I'd get shaky if I didn't get food on time. I
was lucky that in growing up years, my family ate extremely quality
food. The rice used most of the time was a type like Thailand's
Jasmine but we didn't just use rice like in every meal as in most
familes. We didn't eat rice for breakfast at all and also our
breakfast always included either egg or meat. My mother and father
grew up the same way and I saw the same patern in our relatives, i.e.
it's not that way in the general population. So, I considered myself
lucky because lunch (at school) wasn't till 12 O'clock in middle
school and high school. School started at 9:15 (with singing national
anthem and taking a pledge and class begins at 9:30); the school bus
came at 8:15-8:30 AM - this bus makes a second round to pick up others
via a different route - and so I usually had my breakfast around
7:30AM.

Of course, in college years, my eating schedule got messed up
especially the first year. I was not quite 17 yet at the time. I
don't know whether that had a long term effect on me or not.

> If you are even remotely like me (not pre-diabetic which most hypoglycemics
> are) but the true Type A (Genetic) or Type B stable, then your diet of
> course must be adjusted to it.

I have heard about a new type of test and so will check into doing the
test. For now, I am managing fine with knowing what to eat that
makes me feel well though sometimes, I indulged in what I normal
wouldn't eat anymore. The other day, I was at a friend's house and so
had dinner there with white rice. Today, my sister's making a dish
rice noodle with fish chowder, a very typical indeginous food in Burma
and she will bring it. Since those noodles in US are made from low
quality rice, I used to use Japanese version of very thin noodle made
from flour and sprinkled with boiled egg. It's been a bit almost 2
years that I cannot eat that Japanese thin noodle that taste like the
rice noodle in that dish anymore either. Though it didn't make me feel
lousy like rice noodle, it didn't make me feel good and so I stopped
using it. One thing I noticed about myself is that I intuitively like
food that makes me feel well. Hence, in my younger years, I wasn't too
crazy about that rice noodle dish though I loved the egg noodle dish.
Whenever that dish is made at home, I still wouldn't skip any meal of
the day. Besides, younger age require more protein and that must be
why I just couldn't manage skipping a regular meal (with meat). I
remmeber that oen of my older brother wouldn't even bother eating that
noodle dish, an item not made frequently in my family because it's
time-consuming and all the children still wanted to eat a reglar meal
with meat anyway
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 27, 10:00*pm, Dan Abel > wrote:
> In article >,
>
> *"cshenk" > wrote:
> > True. *I have a version of it. *Tests the same if you use the 8 hour test.
> > It is *not* the classic but a genetic imbalance we can track 2 generations
> > of and by symptoms and diet choices to avoid it, up 5 generations.
> > insulin to deal with it. *Instead, your body produces too much insulin in
> > reaction to an influx of blood glucose causing a 'crash' in blood sugar from
> > 2-6 hours later if the rise is too rapid.
> > Since we do not know what you are like compared to me, here's my 'on list'
> > that doesnt fit a diabetic and an 8 hour glocose tolerance test once put me
> > in the hospital in a coma when i was 19. *I am non-reactive (or nominally)
> > for 4 hours, then 'wham'.

> I took the GTT three times, all more than thirty years ago. *I renamed
> it to the Glucose Torture Test. *Back then I was diagnosed as diabetic,
> but I still crashed pretty hard. *The last two times I took the test,
> the tech refused to finish it, and told me to go get something to eat!
>
> > into glucose. *No spikes is the aim here. *A true Hypoglycemic over-reacts
> > to spikes with a flood of insulin that can be very close (or the same) as
> > diabetic insulin shock.

> My pancreas no longer gives that "flood" of insulin. *I get mine out of
> a needle now.

What I read recently was to give what is needed instead testing
oneself to see how much longer oen can go without eating. Or else,
pancreas woudl give out one would end up with diabetes. That's what I
am trying to avoid. Of course, come with frequently eating is a
concern of total calorie intake. Last week and the week before I
indulged in eating out (not so lean food) too many times and so this
week, I have completely avoided eating out plus eating apples (Gala)
through out the day (along with meat) to avoid eating too much
calorie. I didn't go to my friend's place for Thanksgiving either.

> > Best bet: *Try to eat a nibble every 4 hours. *This 'evens the load'. *If
> > you feel 'shocky' do not grab a candybar (will cycle up for a bit then
> > spiral worse down). *Grab some saltines or wheat thins or any other
> > NON-SWEET item.

> > First sign of a low: *Lack of hunger, faint desire to not be in the same
> > room as food.
> > Second sign of low: *Light nausea, feelings of hunger, possibly combined
> > with minor hunger pains
> > Third sign: only felt when you fxxx-ed up, wondering why you are on the
> > floor and your family looks worried. *(forgot to eat them crackers eh?)

> > Fouth sign: *When you didnt wake up at home but if lucky, in the hospital.
> > Haven't experinced 5th one thank god!

> I was having some lows a few months back. *I talked to my doctor and got
> a little kit. *I trained my wife and kids on how to use it. *It's only
> for use when I've passed out, so I can't inject myself, and they can't
> give me anything by mouth when I'm unconscious. *The doctor's
> instructions are for them to inject me, and then immediately call the
> paramedics. *You might talk to your doctor about getting one.

I live alone I'll be fine. I am very careful about everything.

> --
> Dan Abel
> Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"cshenk" > wrote:

> "Dan Abel" wrote,

> >> Best bet: Try to eat a nibble every 4 hours. This 'evens the load'. If
> >> you feel 'shocky' do not grab a candybar (will cycle up for a bit then
> >> spiral worse down). Grab some saltines or wheat thins or any other
> >> NON-SWEET item.

> I presume the above works somewhat for a diabetic as well? A little
> something every 4 hours?
> I know there are differences in what the 'little something' should be.

There are some differences. Still, it's a matter of controlling blood
sugar either way. Lows are the bad ones, but the high ones will get me
over time if I don't control them.

I followed a couple of the diabetic newsgroups for a while, but found
them depressing.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Manda Ruby" wrote
"cshenk" wrote:

>> > I didn't mean to shorten "hypoglycemia" to hypo in groups like this.

>> It's ok, but i asked to be sure.

> That's the traits of civilized people. Also shows intelligence.
>Seriously.

I'd like to believe I am smart. At least it makes me feel good to think so
;-)

>> Hypoglycemia was my first guess due to topic.

> True. I have a version of it. Tests the same if you use the 8 hour test.

Keep in mind please that mine is a rare genetic version. Mom's got copies
of medical stuff they wrote up about us. Given proper care, our version
isn't dangerous and never turns to Diabetes. In those they used the terms
that matched diabetic research where type A (or type I) is 'born with
genetics' and type B (or type II) is developed as you age.

Type B or II, tends to be more diet related on development. Type A or I,
you are born with. All of them come in levels of degree.

> All 3 or 4 siblings of my mother (except my mom) had type II
> diabetes. They managed to control it through diet and insulin shots
> (in old age) and lived a normal life. I do not know at which stage in
> their lives diabetes entered because they're all so much older as I
> was born when my Mom was almost 40.

This is the common pattern for pre-diabetic sounding. With good diet
control, it may never shift to diabetes or if it does, it will be much later
with lesser consequences than if it happens earlier. 'Type B or Type II'.

It sounds like you are working out a decent diet control on a shifting
pattern of needs. I'll try below to show what helps me but ou will have to
judge best in how you feel, as to what works best for you.

> The first time I realized that I might have hypoglycemia was when I
> was 25. It was because I'd get shaky if I didn't get food on time. I

Grin, I knew I was different from my friends by age 8. Mom even warned us
kids but didnt have the money to test us as long as we ate right so it was
no problem.

> was lucky that in growing up years, my family ate extremely quality
> food. The rice used most of the time was a type like Thailand's
> Jasmine but we didn't just use rice like in every meal as in most
> familes. We didn't eat rice for breakfast at all and also our

I think I follow what you mean better than some others here. Lived in Asia
and for the rest 'quality food' may not be quite as it sounds.

> breakfast always included either egg or meat. My mother and father

For the rest, key item. Understood Manda.

(snips)

> Of course, in college years, my eating schedule got messed up
> especially the first year. I was not quite 17 yet at the time. I
> don't know whether that had a long term effect on me or not.

Probably not, just made you 'aware of it'. The earlier eating masked it.

> I have heard about a new type of test and so will check into doing the
> test. For now, I am managing fine with knowing what to eat that
> makes me feel well though sometimes, I indulged in what I normal
> wouldn't eat anymore. The other day, I was at a friend's house and so

Thats how it is. You may be shifting and need to take care. Please do! If
you swing too far too often, they say such flips to diabetic.

> had dinner there with white rice. Today, my sister's making a dish
> rice noodle with fish chowder, a very typical indeginous food in Burma
> and she will bring it. Since those noodles in US are made from low
> quality rice, I used to use Japanese version of very thin noodle made
> from flour and sprinkled with boiled egg. It's been a bit almost 2
> years that I cannot eat that Japanese thin noodle that taste like the
> rice noodle in that dish anymore either. Though it didn't make me feel
> lousy like rice noodle, it didn't make me feel good and so I stopped
> using it. One thing I noticed about myself is that I intuitively like

Would that be the very very thin 'glass' noodle? Bad for you. It's not a
complex carb. You may find Udon works though, that's a fairly fat wheat
noodle. Lower slower absorbtion than glass noodle.

Since you may know it by another name, 'glass noodle' is almost clear when
cooked. Very fine.

The name 'rice noodle' is a wide variety but not probably optimal for you.

> food that makes me feel well. Hence, in my younger years, I wasn't too
> crazy about that rice noodle dish though I loved the egg noodle dish.

Here one for you to avoid. Tapioca noodles. Not good for you I bet. The
squash ones though will work.

> Whenever that dish is made at home, I still wouldn't skip any meal of
> the day. Besides, younger age require more protein and that must be
> why I just couldn't manage skipping a regular meal (with meat). I

Grin, we are a bit low for USA standards on meat here at our home, but we
eat 'good stuff' by any Asian definition.
Meat here is used probably like you are used to, almost a garnish. 3-4oz a
person but well prepared is our normal.

> Basically, white rice (even Basmati) cause the spikes severely.
> Before I stopped using Basmatic white rice. I had been using only
> Basmati for over 10 years. Whenever I ate some other rice, it didn't
> make me feel well like Basmati white rice.

If you still like rice, try unpolished brown? I know it feels 'not quality'
but in fact it may be better for your needs.

> I am sure that white bread would too but since my early days in US, I
> didn't buy white bread. Whenever I ate out, I only asked form wheat
> bread (for breakfast) and wheat rolls or so in lunch (if it comes with
> it).

Good choice. Also rye breads if the taste works for you.

>> in the hospital in a coma when i was 19. I am non-reactive (or nominally)
>> for 4 hours, then 'wham'.

>It is for that reason, I didn't take that test. I would not be able
> to bear it. I am the same way, i.e. 4 hours though very recently, I
> noticed that
> it's becoming to be 3 hours.

Smile, if you are becoming diabetic, it's a 4 hour test and bring a roll or
something with you for as soon as it ends. This will let you know what is
going on.

(snipped 'on list')

> Same here basically. I had stoppe dbuying Idaho potatoes a long time
> agao. It just felt too starchy to me plus I heard int he news that
> it's not as nutritious as the others (red and white). So, I only
> bought red or white potatoes and now am more after sweet potatoes
> though I got some red and white form farmer's market. In fact, I'd
> better use those up. They're in the fridge though.

Actually there is a slight difference but it's the other way. The skin of
the idaho is better for you (not that the others are bad mind you)

>> Note i limited that to just what diabetics will tell you to watch. If
>> it's
>> a whole grain, it's 'on'.

> Same here.Wheat have been sokrign so well that I stick with it more so
> than multi-grain bread.

Works then! What makes you feel good and doesnt spike you, is what you
need.

>> Best stabilizers: Carbs that take time to break down.

> Like wheat.

Yup.

> > Best bet: Try to eat a nibble every 4 hours.

> I have bene doing that for almost two years.

Good

> Recently, I bought glucose tablets for emeregncy use and it have been
> working out well for early mornings when I get really low on blood
> sugar. But, I tried to eat something late and that has helped me avoid
> using the tablets which has artificial flavor. I have always tried

Now that treatment, would spiral me out of control fast although at the
first I'd not realize it. Immediate relief but spiral starting right away
and overall effect = bad. Better, 4-6 wheat thins or triscuits I bet.
That's based on what you have said above that makes you feel better. Slice
of pear or apple with it or bannana.

> tryign to stay on top so that mine don't develop into diabetes in
> older age.

Good plan ;-) Smart.

>> As to Naan, it works. In reasonable amounts, its a stabilizer.

> I have noticed that whenever I ate naan from the restaurant, I didn't
> feel unwell at all. (I would prefer less salt in their naan though).
> So I suspected that though made with all-purpose flour, it might be
> okay. And I bought unbleached version.

It will work in moderation I am sure.

Be well!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

amandaF wrote:

> I am surte you do. Likes attract likes. Below average intelligent people
> below average intelligent people. Need I say more?

Sig material!

Bob
"I was resp0nding to soemoen attackign me and you use my response to that
person to attack me."
---amandaF

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 28, 11:42*am, "cshenk" > wrote:

> >> It's ok, but i asked to be sure.

> > That's the traits of civilized people. Also shows intelligence.
> >Seriously.

> I'd like to believe I am smart. *At least it makes me feel good to think so
> ;-)

You are more than smart

> >> Hypoglycemia was my first guess due to topic.

> > True. I have a version of it. Tests the same if you use the 8 hour test..

> Keep in mind please that mine is a rare genetic version. *Mom's got copies
> of medical stuff they wrote up about us. *Given proper care, our version
> isn't dangerous and never turns to Diabetes. *In those they used the terms
> that matched diabetic research where type A (or type I) is 'born with
> genetics' and type B (or type II) is developed as you age.
>
> Type B or II, tends to be more diet related on development. *Type A or I,
> you are born with. *All of them come in levels of degree.
>
> > All 3 or 4 siblings of my mother (except my mom) had type II
> > diabetes. *They managed to control it through diet and insulin shots
> > (in old age) and lived a normal life. *I do not know at which stage in
> > their lives diabetes entered because they're all so much older as I
> > was born when my Mom was almost 40.

> This is the common pattern for pre-diabetic sounding. *With good diet
> control, it may never shift to diabetes or if it does, it will be much later
> with lesser consequences than if it happens earlier. *'Type B or Type II'.

My Mom never got any symptoms until in her last years. It could be
that she learned from her older sibling early enough to be careful
with her diet and never got to that direction.

> It sounds like you are working out a decent diet control on a shifting
> pattern of needs. *I'll try below to show what helps me but ou will have to
> judge best in how you feel, as to what works best for you.

Yeah.

> > The first time I realized that I might have hypoglycemia was when I
> > was 25. It was because I'd get shaky if I didn't get food on time. *I

> Grin, I knew I was different from my friends by age 8. *Mom even warned us
> kids but didnt have the money to test us as long as we ate right so it was
> no problem.

Oh, I was aware by 9th grade how I'd get shaky but it was only around
25, I cooreakteds with the term "hypoglycemia". Still, young enough
not to care too much beyond eating on time though , just out of habit,
I would't buy white bread and also ate fast food in very limited
amount. My weakness was sweet. I always had ice cream and frozen
waffles and stuff like that.

> > was lucky that in growing up years, my family ate extremely quality
> > food. The rice used most of the time was a type like Thailand's
> > Jasmine but we didn't just use rice like in every meal as in most
> > familes. *We didn't eat rice for breakfast at all and also our

> I think I follow what you mean better than some others here. *Lived in Asia
> and for the rest 'quality food' may not be quite as it sounds.

Well, I knew you'd get it and since I wa sresponding to your post, I
decided not to spend too much time elaborating. In the past, I have
been amused in hearing some Americans asking "You eat white rice,
right?" as if that's the only thing we ate. The meat and seafood we
ate were not full of antibiotic nor the vegenatables just looking big
with no nutrition.

> > breakfast always included either egg or meat. My mother and father

> For the rest, key item. *Understood Manda.
>
> (snips)
>
> > Of course, in college years, my eating schedule got messed up
> > especially the first year. I was not quite 17 yet *at the time. I
> > don't know whether that had a long term effect on me or not.

> Probably not, just made you 'aware of it'. *The earlier eating masked it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Manda Ruby" wrote
"cshenk" wrote:

>> I'd like to believe I am smart. At least it makes me feel good to think
>> so
>> ;-)

> You are more than smart

Mostly I've lived in other cultures so follow your _meaning_ better than
most. Because my experiences have been largely asian extraction for that,
it makes it a lot easier.

>> Type B or II, tends to be more diet related on development. Type A or I,
>> you are born with. All of them come in levels of degree.

>> > All 3 or 4 siblings of my mother (except my mom) had type II

>> This is the common pattern for pre-diabetic sounding. With good diet
>> control, it may never shift to diabetes or if it does, it will be much
>> later

> My Mom never got any symptoms until in her last years. It could be
> that she learned from her older sibling early enough to be careful
> with her diet and never got to that direction.

Diabetes is known as a 'silent killer' for good reason. Many have no
symptoms or such small ones, they can damage themselves for years with no
awareness that anything is wrong.

>> pattern of needs. I'll try below to show what helps me but ou will have
>> judge best in how you feel, as to what works best for you.

> Yeah.

Right and it's because there is too much variation. Anyone who tells you
otherwise, doesnt know what they are talking about. I would however advise
you drop the glucose pills. It's a temp solution no matter which way your
system is and not recommended for long term use. It 'shocks' the system and
your aim, regardless of type is to hit a steady stream.

>> Grin, I knew I was different from my friends by age 8. Mom even warned us
>> kids but didnt have the money to test us as long as we ate right so it
>> was
>> no problem.

> Oh, I was aware by 9th grade how I'd get shaky but it was only around
> 25, I cooreakteds with the term "hypoglycemia". Still, young enough
> not to care too much beyond eating on time though , just out of habit,
> I would't buy white bread and also ate fast food in very limited
> amount. My weakness was sweet. I always had ice cream and frozen
> waffles and stuff like that.

I found that sweet foods after an initial infatuation (after moving out from
home, Mom never had much sweets around), turned me off. Ok, I like a little
chocolate now and again, but little else except in small amounts now and
again.

White bread doesnt bother me but i find i like it best if I add other
healthy things to it such as rye or cheese (I am standard American mutt
meaning mostly European and not lactose intolerant). I make my own bread
with a breadmachine. It may not be as fancy and a real hand kneaded one,
but it's got good ingredients and no wierd preservatives.

If you would like to learn how, I can teach you how to do such with a
breadmaker machine. I have back issues that preclude other methods so can't
help much with those.

>> > familes. We didn't eat rice for breakfast at all and also our

>> I think I follow what you mean better than some others here. Lived in
>> Asia
>> and for the rest 'quality food' may not be quite as it sounds.

> Well, I knew you'd get it and since I wa sresponding to your post, I
> decided not to spend too much time elaborating. In the past, I have
> been amused in hearing some Americans asking "You eat white rice,
> right?" as if that's the only thing we ate. The meat and seafood we
> ate were not full of antibiotic nor the vegenatables just looking big
> with no nutrition.

Grin, was no need to elaborate, correct. I also get well the 'vegetables
looking big with no nutrition'. Eggplant is a classic there.
I can't stand 'American eggplant'. It's just bitter and watery ilk. It's
actually a european version but grows huge herwe and is mostly water and
bitter bits.

Not all the USA market stuff is bad though.

>> > especially the first year. I was not quite 17 yet at the time. I
>> > don't know whether that had a long term effect on me or not.

>> Probably not, just made you 'aware of it'. The earlier eating masked it.

I think so too.

So can I suggest? I went back to what Mom fed me. Then, I carefully
branched out.
That worked for me.

>> > I have heard about a new type of test and so will check into doing the

>> Thats how it is. You may be shifting and need to take care. Please do! If
>> you swing too far too often, they say such flips to diabetic.

> Well, I guess, I should avoid white rice meals to a very few special
> occasions and even then carry some cooked brown rice when I got to
> those houses

Although brown rice is considered 'poor man food' in reality, it has a bit
more nutrition. May I also suggest that the nutrition value is the same in
the Texas grown basmati (brown or white) and red rices as well as the
California Calrose. American Basmati won't have quite the aroma level but
the India ones tended to add harmful perfumes to make them so.

My family won't eat brown rice due to the extra taste of nuttyness it has.
I consider that extra taste a plus in some dishes or eaten alone but they
hate it.

(on sister's thin rice noodle dish)
>> Would that be the very very thin 'glass' noodle?

> No.

Ok, then not sure of the type. LOL, I don't know everything!

>> complex carb. You may find Udon works though, that's a fairly fat wheat
>> noodle. Lower slower absorbtion than glass noodle.

> I have had Udon but not crazy about it.

Ah, Japanese claim it cures all ills ;-) We love them here. A favored dish
is udon in dashi (Japan version of a fish stock) with miso and spinach or
other green and maybe egg added. Seafood meats normally added.

> I avoid all rice noodle. I did eat a litle bit of rice noodle she
> brought but only after I ate my brown rice and goat meat currey she
> brought.

Ohh! I've never had goat meat curry. I'd like to try goat but have never
seen it in a market here or the places I have traveled. That or it was
labeled in some other language so I didnt know what it was.

>> Here one for you to avoid. Tapioca noodles. Not good for you I bet.

> A few years ago, I was buying tapioca pearls and cooked with Asian
> Yam in coconut milk and sugar. One of our favorite growing up. It's
> been 2 1/2 years ago, I stopped buying it. I only got to knw hpow to
> cook stuff that that about 4-5 years ago. Good because, I might have
> cooked more otherwise. And I never used rice noodle much either. Just
> wasn't crazy about it.

I find all recipes for tapioca are too sweet and 3-4 hours later, I don't
feel good. It's on my personal 'off list'.

> I tend to like noodles that doesn't feel too starchy. In fact, I have
> bought thin spaghetti made form 50% wheat and used as noodle and it
> wpkre dotu really well. So, I buy that occasiaonlly. My main sources
> of carb is wheat tortilla, wheat bread and brown rice. I have yet to
> make Naan. I have a round pizza stone but I want a small rectangular
> one - 10inx7in - for the toaster oven. Amazing has it but I heard that
> it breaks in shipping because of their packaging.

The spinach added noodles suit us for many things. I like to toss them with
a little garlic and butter and add black peper and eat just like that.

>> we are a bit low for USA standards on meat here at our home, but we
>> eat 'good stuff' by any Asian definition.

> From what I learned from TV commercial, Americans eat meat a lot but I
> haven't met any American who eat more meat than my family. But then, I
> am not oriental Asian. (I am not going to worry abut PC on
> "oriental".)

Understood at the first. You are not from the eastern coastal asian set
exactly, more the Burma/Indonesia set. Asian but not same as 'oriental' in
what folks here think. They tend here to think that is just China and Japan
and might add Korea and Vietnam, maybe Thailand.

If I have it right your cuisine leads more to Sambals and high chile uses?
More curry and less of the blander foods.

>> Meat here is used probably like you are used to, almost a garnish. 3-4oz
>> person but well prepared is our normal.

> No, we ate beef all the time as well as rooster and duck meat. My
> father used to hunt (for fun) until the military took over and took
> away his "whatever that rifle is called" but he still would find ways
> to get all kinds of meat, some birds I don't know the ename in English
> as well as quails.

Grin, sounds like I'd like your family feeding!

> May be my family ate too much meat but my parents liked fish a lot and
> so they probably eat more balanced into their older age than I do
> because seafood here sucks and I don't eat as much as I should. Know
> that I am talking about my family having access to seafood that got to
> the destiation in less than 6 hours.

I am so greatful that we have a local market here with good fresh seafood.
Live fish in the bottom tank and the rest was probably flopping same day.

(on potatoes)
> Well, if only the skin. The potato meat of Idaho seems starchy. The
> potato back home was so tasty, not like here. But then, may be my
> family bought a certain kind f potatoe. There might be more than oen
> type over there too. I knew squat about cooking when I left home.

There's lots of types here so you may find what you are looking for.
Although I pine for a few Japan types i don't see here, overall I'm happy
and able to find most or a suitable replacement for them. Try some of the
other versions.

Had to trim! Too much message!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 29 Nov 2009 09:00:41 -0800 (PST), Manda Ruby wrote:

> On Nov 29, 8:43*am, blake murphy > wrote:
>>
>> sorry, toots, you've shown no evidence of superior or even average
>> intelligence in this group.

> I guess you didn't get that the point was that you have clearly shown
> below average intelligence.

clearly. unlike you, whose genius shines in every post.

blake

Regular yeast versus Rapid rise yeast Manda Ruby General Cooking 3 24-11-2009 02:25 AM
Difference between Active Dry, and Brewers yeast Tim[_11_] Winemaking 4 16-04-2009 01:27 AM
how much active yeast do I need to make .25 teaspoon of instant yeast? Joe General Cooking 1 17-11-2006 02:54 AM
Dry Active Yeast Frank103 Baking 9 11-11-2006 01:03 AM
when can i tell yeast is active --- DAve Allison Winemaking 9 07-03-2006 04:25 AM