Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default Molasses in Port

I'm not finding anything on the net for this so thought I'd try see if
anyone's had experience with this.
A customer has sampled a commercial wine which was made with the
addition of molasses. He wants to recreate something similar with one of
our port kits. Does anyone have any experience on what quantity and time of
additions to make a Molasses flavoured port ?
Thanks

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

IPOD MAN wrote:
> I'm not finding anything on the net for this so thought I'd try see if
> anyone's had experience with this.
> A customer has sampled a commercial wine which was made with the
> addition of molasses. He wants to recreate something similar with one of
> our port kits. Does anyone have any experience on what quantity and time of
> additions to make a Molasses flavoured port ?
> Thanks

Don't know the quantity, but Trentadue winery makes a chocolate port,
which I'm guessing would be along the same lines.
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Yah I make and sell the RJ Orange Chocolate Port, but it is quite different
to molasses additions, that I know. Great stuff though that orange
Chocolate port.... also the White Chocolate White Port.

"gene" > wrote in message
> IPOD MAN wrote:
>> I'm not finding anything on the net for this so thought I'd try see
>> if anyone's had experience with this.
>> A customer has sampled a commercial wine which was made with the
>> addition of molasses. He wants to recreate something similar with one of
>> our port kits. Does anyone have any experience on what quantity and time
>> of additions to make a Molasses flavoured port ?
>> Thanks

> Don't know the quantity, but Trentadue winery makes a chocolate port,
> which I'm guessing would be along the same lines.

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Mar 13, 11:33*am, "IPOD MAN" > wrote:
> * * I'm not finding anything on the net for this so thought I'd try see if
> anyone's had experience with this.
> * * A customer has sampled a commercial wine which was made with the
> addition of molasses. *He wants to recreate something similar with one of
> our port kits. *Does anyone have any experience on what quantity and time of
> additions to make a Molasses flavoured port ?
> * * Thanks

Molasses is a sugar and will ferment as a sugar. You can add some
molassas to your wine, but I would start with a small amount and taste
the must for flavor, or taste the wine, if you add it during the
secondary fermentation. Allow for additional fermentation if the yeast
will allow. If adding to a finished wine, it will sweeten the wine
and possibly restart the fermentation.

I don't know the alcohol conversion, but I'd guess it is close but
less than cane sugar by weight, as it is liquid. It will feed the
yeast as it ferments (chocolate only flavors). In some wines, I have
substituted brown sugar for white sugar. Brown sugar is basically
white sugar "flavored" with molassas. It has a slightly lower alcohol
conversion. For cane or beet sugar the conversion is approximately 1
pound sugar = 1% alcohol in 5 gallons or 5% alcohol per gallon.
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

IPODMAN,
Would you be willing to share how you are incorporating the
chocolate? At what stage- primary, secondary or at bottling? Any
special techniques? I blended some chocolate with some wine (post
bottling and pre-imbibe) and it was good but muddy. I'm working on a
second home winemaking book with a section on wine and chocolate (I
make chocolate truffles using wines I make). I have been hoping to
solve the chocolate wine technique. I will give you credit in the
book.

Does anyone else have any good experience adding chocolate to their
wine? Thanks
Gammagal

On Mar 16, 9:39*am, "IPOD MAN" > wrote:
> Yah I make and sell the RJ Orange Chocolate Port, also the White Chocolate White Port.
>
> "gene" > wrote in message

Molasses... ImStillMags General Cooking 3 12-03-2011 11:54 AM
Pomegranate Molasses? Michael General Cooking 6 17-09-2010 06:23 AM
Pomegranate Molasses? Wheatus Billy AWOL General Cooking 0 14-09-2010 08:06 AM
Molasses? lrosen Marketplace 0 25-03-2009 09:10 PM
Port wine Sauce Help using Vintage Port (opened a couple of weeks ago - but refrigerated) Kate B General Cooking 2 22-12-2003 10:29 PM