Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default Bag-in-Box ?

Hi all,

I came across a site selling 5L and 10L plastic storage/serving
bag-in-boxes.(Basically a bag with a tap)
It sounds quite novel so I ordered one to put my recent 10L of Elderflower
in. I was really just wondering if anyone has used these things and been
happy with them. Saves a lot of bottling, but I just thought.......they
won't allow for any secondary fermentation for sparkling Elderflower will
they?

Am I wasting my time, and possibly my wine?
Thanks, Dazz

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Mar 1, 4:16*pm, "Dazz" > wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I came across a site selling 5L and 10L plastic storage/serving
> bag-in-boxes.(Basically a bag with a tap)
> It sounds quite novel so I ordered one to put my recent 10L of Elderflower
> in. I was really just wondering if anyone has used these things and been
> happy with them. Saves a lot of bottling, but I just thought.......they
> won't allow for any secondary fermentation for sparkling Elderflower will
> they?
>
> Am I wasting my time, and possibly my wine?
> Thanks, Dazz

Sounds like a great solution for table wine. From the demi to the bag
and down the hatch. I would guess that time would be the enemy for
wine stored this way. However, I know people who have reused rinsed
wine-bags from wine-boxes that they've consumeda nd it has tasted fine
to them. They'd be using the wine within a couple of weeks to a month
at most.

Jim
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Luc Volders > wrote:
> I have used them frequently.
> Most of the time I have a filled one in my home with white and
> one with red wine.
> I use it only for short time storage and direct consumable wines.
>
> They are sold in shops in France filled with cheap table wine.
> So I think maximum storage there will be a few months.

They are available here in the UK too, don't any of you ever go
shopping?! :-) We used to buy them (Australian wine) in Oman in the
1980s so it's hardly a new thing.

> I do not have any knowledge about maximum storage time
> but months to a year would not pose a problem I think.

I think most of them I have bought recommend using them within 6
months but I suspect that's as much down to the wine that's in them as
the storage. Bottles of wine bought from supermarkets have similar
"best before" dates.

> Definately not suitable for making a sparkling wine.
> The bag will not hold the pressure.

:-)

--
Chris Green
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

"Dazz" > wrote:

> I came across a site selling 5L and 10L plastic storage/serving
> bag-in-boxes.(Basically a bag with a tap)
> It sounds quite novel so I ordered one to put my recent 10L of
> Elderflower in. I was really just wondering if anyone has used
> these things and been happy with them. Saves a lot of bottling,
> but I just thought.......they won't allow for any secondary
> fermentation for sparkling Elderflower will they?
>
> Am I wasting my time, and possibly my wine?

This is similar to the use of PET plastic soda bottles. The
question is how long will the oxygen barrier last. My
expectation is no problem for three months, but definitely
use it all up in four months.

To avoid secondary fermenation, chill the wine and keep the
siphon head about 2" above the lees. If you filter first,
secondary fermentation should not occur.

Dick
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

"Dazz" > wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I came across a site selling 5L and 10L plastic storage/serving
> bag-in-boxes.(Basically a bag with a tap)
> It sounds quite novel so I ordered one to put my recent 10L of Elderflower
> in. I was really just wondering if anyone has used these things and been
> happy with them. Saves a lot of bottling, but I just thought.......they
> won't allow for any secondary fermentation for sparkling Elderflower will
> they?
>
> Am I wasting my time, and possibly my wine?
> Thanks, Dazz

I used to use these all the time, but found that after 3 or 4 uses they
started to leak, and so were not cost-effective over time. For short-term
storage of simple "glugging-plonk" I use the PET bottles, which can be used
over and over again. Just get a load of bottled water from the supermarket!

Obviously, for something nicer, glass is better - but I still re-use the
screw-top ones.

Barb

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Thanks for your ideas and info folks.
Will give it a go and report back.
I've only just found this group, I'm glad I did. Hi to everybody.
Regards, Dazz (UK)

"Barb" > wrote in message
> "Dazz" > wrote in message
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I came across a site selling 5L and 10L plastic storage/serving
>> bag-in-boxes.(Basically a bag with a tap)
>> It sounds quite novel so I ordered one to put my recent 10L of
>> Elderflower
>> in. I was really just wondering if anyone has used these things and been
>> happy with them. Saves a lot of bottling, but I just thought.......they
>> won't allow for any secondary fermentation for sparkling Elderflower will
>> they?
>>
>> Am I wasting my time, and possibly my wine?
>> Thanks, Dazz
>>

> I used to use these all the time, but found that after 3 or 4 uses they
> started to leak, and so were not cost-effective over time. For short-term
> storage of simple "glugging-plonk" I use the PET bottles, which can be
> used
> over and over again. Just get a load of bottled water from the
> supermarket!
>
> Obviously, for something nicer, glass is better - but I still re-use the
> screw-top ones.
>
> Barb

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Mar 1, 11:16*am, "Dazz" > wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I came across a site selling 5L and 10L plastic storage/serving
> bag-in-boxes.(Basically a bag with a tap)
> It sounds quite novel so I ordered one to put my recent 10L of Elderflower
> in. I was really just wondering if anyone has used these things and been
> happy with them. Saves a lot of bottling, but I just thought.......they
> won't allow for any secondary fermentation for sparkling Elderflower will
> they?
>
> Am I wasting my time, and possibly my wine?
> Thanks, Dazz

Could you send the URL for that site? It sounds like something that
could be useful to have around for short-term storage of odd-lot
wines, i.e., less than a full carboy.

Paul