Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default Fermentation never started

I recently started a premium Vigonier kit.
It never started to ferment. I live in Maine, and it's
been cool, but I've never had one refuse to start before.

It's been about two weeks.

I have it wrapped in heating pads right now.

Any ideas on how I might jump-start this thing?

Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Feb 25, 3:05*pm, "Bob Becker" > wrote:
> I recently started a premium Vigonier kit.
> It never started to ferment. *I live in Maine, and it's
> been cool, but I've never had one refuse to start before.
>
> It's been about two weeks.
>
> I have it wrapped in heating pads right now.
>
> Any ideas on how I might jump-start this thing?
>
> Bob

Two weeks is a long time to allow a must to set. I'd be concerned
about spoilage at this point.

In any case, the standard procedure for a troublesome batch is to...
- rehydrate yeast in luke warm water, and wait 15 or 20 minutes.
- add a pinch of yeast nutrient that has no DAP
- add a pinch of sugar and wait for 15 or 20 minutes.
- add some of the must to the starter, wait some more.
- add more must to the starter, wait some more.
- add more must to the starter, and wait some more.

After completing these steps, you should have a large and very frothy
starter going, which you can then add to the must

I strongly suggest using EC-1118/Premier Cuvee yeast. It's absolutely
rock solid and will work in the most hostile of circumstances.

It seems strange it never started. Usually these kits come with the
aforementioned yeast. What has the ambient temperature been? Was the
yeast old or expired?

Greg G.

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Feb 25, 5:32*pm, wrote:
> On Feb 25, 3:05*pm, "Bob Becker" > wrote:
>
> > I recently started a premium Vigonier kit.
> > It never started to ferment. *I live in Maine, and it's
> > been cool, but I've never had one refuse to start before.

> > It's been about two weeks.

> > I have it wrapped in heating pads right now.

> > Any ideas on how I might jump-start this thing?

> > Bob

> Two weeks is a long time to allow a must to set. I'd be concerned
> about spoilage at this point.
>
> In any case, the standard procedure for a troublesome batch is to...
> - rehydrate yeast in luke warm water, and wait 15 or 20 minutes.
> - add a pinch of yeast nutrient that has no DAP
> - add a pinch of sugar and wait for 15 or 20 minutes.
> - add some of the must to the starter, wait some more.
> - add more must to the starter, wait some more.
> - add more must to the starter, and wait some more.
>
> After completing these steps, you should have a large and very frothy
> starter going, which you can then add to the must
>
> I strongly suggest using EC-1118/Premier Cuvee yeast. It's absolutely
> rock solid and will work in the most hostile of circumstances.
>
> It seems strange it never started. Usually these kits come with the
> aforementioned yeast. What has the ambient temperature been? Was the
> yeast old or expired?
>
> Greg G.

That;'s the yeast and process I would use too; all I can think of is
that the yeast that came with the kit was old or the temp was 60F or
less. I never get a good ferment going at low temps. I try to start
them at at least 70F or use a starter. Next time don't wait more than
a day to see activity, if it's going to start a day is long enough to
get it going in some fashion. I would start with a quart, once it was
going well, expand that to a gallon, once that was going well, add it
all.

If this doesn't work, somehow your sulfite level is too high or
somehow sorbate got into the mix too early. If it's sulfite, just use
a pint for the starter and add a pint of water and a bit of sugar to
reduce the sulfites and get it going, then expand it slower. If it's
sorbate the same process may work but you would need to use just sugar
water or juice to get it started, none of this must.

Joe
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Thanks for the replies. Yesterday, for some unknown reason, it
started to ferment, and now it's bubbling away.
All I can think of is that the temp was too low, but we keep the
house at about 67° in the winter, and it hardly ever goes below that.
I'll attribute it to an angry wine god for now.

"Joe Sallustio" > wrote in message
On Feb 25, 5:32 pm, wrote:
> On Feb 25, 3:05 pm, "Bob Becker" > wrote:
>
> > I recently started a premium Vigonier kit.
> > It never started to ferment. I live in Maine, and it's
> > been cool, but I've never had one refuse to start before.

> > It's been about two weeks.

> > I have it wrapped in heating pads right now.

> > Any ideas on how I might jump-start this thing?

> > Bob

> Two weeks is a long time to allow a must to set. I'd be concerned
> about spoilage at this point.
>
> In any case, the standard procedure for a troublesome batch is to...
> - rehydrate yeast in luke warm water, and wait 15 or 20 minutes.
> - add a pinch of yeast nutrient that has no DAP
> - add a pinch of sugar and wait for 15 or 20 minutes.
> - add some of the must to the starter, wait some more.
> - add more must to the starter, wait some more.
> - add more must to the starter, and wait some more.
>
> After completing these steps, you should have a large and very frothy
> starter going, which you can then add to the must
>
> I strongly suggest using EC-1118/Premier Cuvee yeast. It's absolutely
> rock solid and will work in the most hostile of circumstances.
>
> It seems strange it never started. Usually these kits come with the
> aforementioned yeast. What has the ambient temperature been? Was the
> yeast old or expired?
>
> Greg G.

That;'s the yeast and process I would use too; all I can think of is
that the yeast that came with the kit was old or the temp was 60F or
less. I never get a good ferment going at low temps. I try to start
them at at least 70F or use a starter. Next time don't wait more than
a day to see activity, if it's going to start a day is long enough to
get it going in some fashion. I would start with a quart, once it was
going well, expand that to a gallon, once that was going well, add it
all.

If this doesn't work, somehow your sulfite level is too high or
somehow sorbate got into the mix too early. If it's sulfite, just use
a pint for the starter and add a pint of water and a bit of sugar to
reduce the sulfites and get it going, then expand it slower. If it's
sorbate the same process may work but you would need to use just sugar
water or juice to get it started, none of this must.

Joe

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Feb 25, 5:05*pm, "Bob Becker" > wrote:
> I recently started a premium Vigonier kit.
> It never started to ferment. *I live in Maine, and it's
> been cool, but I've never had one refuse to start before.
>
> It's been about two weeks.
>
> I have it wrapped in heating pads right now.
>
> Any ideas on how I might jump-start this thing?
>
> Bob

Bob,
That is not enough heat. You should place electrical warmers in the
wine,you should be able to buy these in a wine or brew supply store.
This will certainly jumpstart the fermentation process! Good Luck!

Diana

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Mar 1, 1:31*am, wrote:
> On Feb 25, 5:05*pm, "Bob Becker" > wrote:
>
> > I recently started a premium Vigonier kit.
> > It never started to ferment. *I live in Maine, and it's
> > been cool, but I've never had one refuse to start before.

> > It's been about two weeks.

> > I have it wrapped in heating pads right now.

> > Any ideas on how I might jump-start this thing?

> > Bob

> Bob,
> That is not enough heat. You should place electrical warmers in the
> wine,you should be able to buy these in a wine or brew supply store.
> This will certainly jumpstart the fermentation process! Good Luck!
>
> Diana

I don't know of any wine yeast that would have a problem working at
67F, had some batches which I was trying to stop still going strongly
aarounf 40F. My guess would be old yeast or something in the must the
yeast really didn't like.

In general, if nothing happens after 2 days or so, I'd just pitch in a
new starter.

Pp

It has started The Cook Preserving 0 28-04-2009 08:27 PM
Fermentation has started again Childfree Abby Winemaking 4 25-03-2007 04:15 PM
Getting started(Please help) zven Winemaking 3 24-01-2006 06:33 PM
Perry Fermentation - natural yeasts and malo-latic fermentation norm Winemaking 1 30-04-2004 01:52 PM